New Spell Levitate.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

chris a gogo

New Spell Levitate.

Post by chris a gogo » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:08 pm

As suggestions are closed I was wondering what people would think of adding this spell to the list of wizard spells.

Im not suggesting it does anything but aid in climbing checks +20 to climb checks with maybe a small visual lasting only rounds per level.

This way a wizard has a means by magic to get to places others can climb to.

Exordius

Re: New Spell Levitate.

Post by Exordius » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:57 pm

Here is an idea to add to it though i doubt they would allow it even if the base spell is added. Add an ac bonus to it... if you can float up dozens of feet into the air then realistically its gonna be kinda hard to hit you with normal weapons. Maybe code it so the ac is only vs. melee damage, ranged and magic are unchanged.

Aeralad

Post by Aeralad » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:03 pm

Obi wan casts levitate.
"It's over Anakin! I have the high ground."
I am the champion
When they write my story they're gonna say that I did it for the glory
But don't think that I did it for the fame I did it for the love of the game

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:04 pm

*Anakin uses skill: Force Leap* "You underestimate my power."

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:47 am

Could also provide bonus saves vs traps and ground spells (like Grease, etc).

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:06 am

if the spell doesn't make your character t-pose and then levitate off the base ground then what's the point though

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:22 am

I like this idea a lot, and I'd really like to see it implemented.

Obviously NWN moves on a flat plane, and we can't give mages flight in combat here (not that they need it), but it's always kind of irked me that there are certain terrain features that are impassible to casters based on climb checks when there is spider climb as an iconic low level mage spell meant for walking up walls. Doesn't even have to actually be a spell, you could just let casters of the appropriate class and level have an option to cast any equal level spell and then shunt them up as if they passed the climb check.

Unless there are entire dungeons gated away from melee characters by a DC25+ intelligence check that I don't know about, I can't think of a good reason not to do something in this vein.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:48 pm

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:22 am
Unless there are entire dungeons gated away from melee characters by a DC25+ intelligence check that I don't know about, I can't think of a good reason not to do something in this vein.
The only thing that comes to mind is the Ilithid one, I know one of the entrances is locked behind an Int door. I just cannot recall if all the doors inside also require an Int check or not.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:56 am

Shadowy Reality wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:48 pm
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
The only thing that comes to mind is the Ilithid one, I know one of the entrances is locked behind an Int door. I just cannot recall if all the doors inside also require an Int check or not.
It's Concentration, actually, but they are throughout the entire dungeon, yeah

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:44 am

Kuma wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:56 am
Shadowy Reality wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:48 pm
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
It's Concentration, actually, but they are throughout the entire dungeon, yeah
That's interesting to know, but I wouldn't say it compares- correct me if I'm wrong, but climb uses your strength or your dex mod. I'm unaware of any skills that add to it, although I could just be uninformed in that regard, but I digress; concentration is available to melee types and to casters both. It's my understanding that, at least pre-Lore days, most PvP oriented melee builds attempted to include concentration coverage against ac-lowering taunts (because -6 hurts a lot.)

Any DC-caster in a party that doesn't have a climbing rope (or if they have it and someone doesn't remember the exact mechanics of how to use it just right), the rest of the party is going without you, because you aren't getting over that climb check, and there's rarely any amount of buffing you can do to change that. I say this as someone who literally burned through something like 30-40 healing kits in an effort to join my party on the other side of a climb check, and couldn't pass the check a single time. :oops:

It was funny. But it wasn't fun.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:27 am

Climb checks are a similar form of lock-door'ing, with the added annoyance of yet another needless item you need to carry around (but hey, at least it's not a container), it seems silly that they're there at all.

Locked doors can be done well, like in the iron mines, the mound, or the illithid ones, they don't necessitate you passing the check, but the check makes it easier (not impossible) to complete the dungeon or gives you access to an extra loot chest etc.

If all the climb checks were more 'shortcuts' rather than 'you need to do this to progress', that'd be much better.

Sincerely, every mage that's ever flopped around like a fish out of water for 5 minutes on a snow-covered mountain.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.