Fighter Helmet

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Borin Drakkmurl

Fighter Helmet

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:40 pm

This item is as old as myself on the server, and I always found its stats a bit odd.

I will straight up confess that I am not the most mechanically minded, and sometimes too many numbers and minuses and pluses will have my head rocking back and forth like a two month old toddler.

That being said, the Fighter Helmet currently gives:

+1 AC
+1 constitution
+ something search
+ something listen

In my head and limited thought capability, for a fighter, would not a helmet be more useful if it was something like

+1 AC
+1 constitution
+ something discipline
+ something heal ( ? )

The old helmet could just be renamed something like a Helmet of the Sentinel, as it fits more, themewise, with what its stats. Perhaps even replace constitution with some other stat or feat.

Just a thought.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

Straxus
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Fighter Helmet

Post by Straxus » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:14 pm

The helmet makes sense to me, as the search allows you to find possible traps, and listen helps you to spot enemies before you engage them.

Constitution = added hit points

And AC... well that goes without saying.

The helmet you were thinking would be more for a priest, for the heal aspect at least.

Discipline would make sense.
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:21 am

Never liked that helmet. The recipe is alright but the properties are often just less useful than a basin helmet with +1 ac and +1 str in those levels. I suggest replacing constitution with str and replacing listen with discipline. This much discipline also makes it a nich end-game item for some builds and it would give the item some usefulness all across the board. That +1 ac in there prevents any serious game-breaking uses.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:59 am

Straxus wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:14 pm
The helmet makes sense to me, as the search allows you to find possible traps, and listen helps you to spot enemies before you engage them.

The helmet you were thinking would be more for a priest, for the heal aspect at least.

the tiny amount of listen and search added don't actually help anyone without skill investment. thematically, maybe, but it's ultimately pointless. a "priest" would make use of wisdom.

heal/disc is actually useful for for a fighter hat

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Borin Drakkmurl

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:56 pm

Kuma wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:59 am
Straxus wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:14 pm

the tiny amount of listen and search added don't actually help anyone without skill investment. thematically, maybe, but it's ultimately pointless. a "priest" would make use of wisdom.

heal/disc is actually useful for for a fighter hat
This was pretty much my reasoning.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela