Weave Eaters in House of Master

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Good Character

Weave Eaters in House of Master

Post by Good Character » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:12 pm

With the recent update to weave eaters, the dungeon on Skal has gotten noticeably more difficult.

The weave eaters have an AB of 33 vs. the 12~19 AB the other mobs have.
It has a pulse attack with a high reflex DC for the level range (i.e. DC 29) that bursts you down around 1/3 to 1/2 of your HP depending on your build.
Their AC is greater than 35.
And they seem to be spawning more commonly. Though, that could be due to confirmation bias.

While toning them down for this dungeon is an option, I'm not specifically advocating that. Given the House of Masters is the 2nd highest level dungeon on Skal, it makes sense to keep them as is. However, the writ should reflect it through a higher level range (currently 11-16) and greater XP reward.
Last edited by Good Character on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Weave Eaters in House of Master

Post by Ork » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:19 pm

I would not want to do the house anymore now that we've got god-level weave-eaters.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:15 pm

That was was already annoying enough. Probably one of the most annoying set of mobs all in the same place. Multiple mobs with dispels. Damaging shields. And now I first hear the weave eaters are... that. I never liked the reward for this writ to begin with, even before this change.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:27 pm

Another thought to add is that the weave eaters make the imbued variant golems obsolete (minus their elemental shield) whenever they use the antimagic field.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:56 pm

I'm going to look at these again. I intended them to be relatively easy to slay with conventional weapons, clearly that's not the case.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:16 pm

They also make the ice spider writ extremely difficult. Especially if you get a golden eater.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:55 am

And if you don't have the ability to use "conventional weapons" are you just boned for that content, or...what?

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:29 am

ReverentBlade wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:55 am
And if you don't have the ability to use "conventional weapons" are you just boned for that content, or...what?
Also interested in this answer. Would have to make them very weak for a pure caster to be able to bonk to death with their staff.

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:35 pm

Hazard wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:29 am
ReverentBlade wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:55 am
Also interested in this answer. Would have to make them very weak for a pure caster to be able to bonk to death with their staff.
A short perception range alongside a decrease in movement speed will allow a careful mage to avoid them, presuming they aren't running full speed.

Of course it makes sense for even a spell caster to carry a weapon. I'll make sure the new version is hardy but with a relatively low damage output, so even if a mage has failed to avoid the creature, they have an, albeit lengthy, chance to defeat the Eater.

We do have more than enough players online to form a party though, so do expect solo content to be more challenging- mages should be considerably more effective in PvE with a mundane friend along, rather than cruising through content without challenge.