Earl's Legacy Writ

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Void

Earl's Legacy Writ

Post by Void » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:15 pm

I gotta say, I did not expect to see THIS writ have upper level cap for completion.

After the recent darkness update, found an interested person to go there, cleaned the area, and of course their level ends up too high and the writ doesn't trigger.

Given the difficulty level of area, having upper cap doesn't make sense, and doesn't really make sense from lore perspective either. As this particular lich seems to be a big deal.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

AstralUniverse

Re: Earl's Legacy Writ

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:29 am

(EDIT: irelevant now)writs are intentionally designed to not speed-level you past lvl 21. I would personally not want to see the lvl cap removed because then it would mean getting to lvl 30 is too fast for any character development. Right now, you can get to lvl 21 in very short time, stacking a lot of adventure exp as you do it, and then when you get to lvl 21 you're an epic character that can do stuff, you can craft high end items in most trades, and you're stacked up in adventure exp for a while. I like that design and I think it sort of put a natural stop where you stop grinding and can focus on other things, without limiting your grinding access or capping the exp you can get over a time frame like in other servers.

Uncapping any of the level 20 dungeons would simply mean people can continue getting that per-day exp influx all the way to 30 and I think it would affect the server badly.

As for the dungeon itself... obviously you cant solo it on a true flame anymore. That goes without saying. But just because you were unlucky with a party companion that wasnt there for a writ and was higher level, doesnt mean the dungeon is too difficult for lvls 15-20 parties as intended. I can tell you that classes with summons can solo it before level 20. AS a true flame, you're still the most valuable party member in such a place. all you need to do is not go alone.
Last edited by AstralUniverse on Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Void

Post by Void » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:47 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:29 am
writs are intentionally designed to not
That's absolutely not what I'm talking about.

You CAN'T get writs past level 21. You CAN'T get this writ after level 21. They are no longer available.

What I'm talking about is that in case of this particular writ, the "party member level is too high" is still in effect. Given the lore and the mission that doesn't make any sense.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:00 am

My bad. I guess I didnt realize you mean THAT because it sounds even more impractical and open for abuse. It would basically mean that the exp influx from writs is 100% free be when you can just go to a dungeon with someone much higher lvl than you and be back to turn in the writ 10 minutes later.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Void

Post by Void » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:23 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
As for the dungeon itself... obviously you cant solo it on a true flame anymore. That
Sweet mother of Cthulhu.

I would highly appreciate if you read the actual post instead of inventing a hidden message behind it or attempting to divine people's motivation, as those kind of guesses are incorrect and waste everybody's time.

You couldn't ever solo this area as true flame. And anyone who ever visited it knows why. That's not what the damn opening post was about.
AstralUniverse wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:00 am
My bad. I guess I didnt realize you mean THAT because it
* You can't finish it in 10 minutes.
* It is "end content" writ, one of the toughest ones.
* Other "uncapped" writs without upper level limitations exist.
* "Your level is too high, get the hell out of here" message on writs is bad and always was bad, as it encourages metagaming and squabbles over OOC information + break "immersion". This mechanic is there, though, which is unfortuante, but having a cap on this particular quest makes no sense.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:29 pm

I mean, its not -that- tough. While its a decent place for low epics (21-22) to go alone and get decent xp when they are bored, I've done it solo on a level 18 melee character (granted, we are talking paladin here) and never really had an issue in a group of pre epics. And I never used darkness, it always felt like a cheat code to me.

Algol

Post by Algol » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:12 pm

Although it's not an easy writ it's not the hardest one either (the hardest one would be the orc fortress one in Sidyabad in my opnion just because of the boss bt thats another topic entirely). I think it's good to have some varience in the difficulty of the writs, and we have it to some degree. While I understand not being able to complete a writ because of finding suitable players to party up or just having the dungeon hard counter your build can be frustrating I'd personally like to see more difficult writs award more gold and xp and gold. And I think the Early Legacy writ could use a tiny bit of a boost.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:23 pm

Algol wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:12 pm
Although it's not an easy writ it's not the hardest one either
It depends on the build. Earl's Legacy is not mage friendly, although a summoner will manage. Doesn't feel like this one should be capped, especially given that the earl made a mess in a huge area.

Regarding orc fortress, I'm not famliar with it. Basically, if you start doing writs chances are you'll miss most of them with a character. This is both good and bad. Good because it adds replayability, bad, because once you've missed content, it is gone for good.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:51 pm

Void wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:23 am
AstralUniverse wrote:
As for the dungeon itself... obviously you cant solo it on a true flame anymore. That
Sweet mother of Cthulhu.

I would highly appreciate if you read the actual post instead of inventing a hidden message behind it or attempting to divine people's motivation, as those kind of guesses are incorrect and waste everybody's time.

You couldn't ever solo this area as true flame. And anyone who ever visited it knows why. That's not what the damn opening post was about.
AstralUniverse wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:00 am
My bad. I guess I didnt realize you mean THAT because it
* You can't finish it in 10 minutes.
* It is "end content" writ, one of the toughest ones.
* Other "uncapped" writs without upper level limitations exist.
* "Your level is too high, get the hell out of here" message on writs is bad and always was bad, as it encourages metagaming and squabbles over OOC information + break "immersion". This mechanic is there, though, which is unfortuante, but having a cap on this particular quest makes no sense.
You know what, even though I believe it's doable in 10 minutes, lets say 15-20 which is still NOTHING and I can do it in less than 20 on a low epic sorc. If you dont believe it it's your problem. If I could do that AND carry along a group of lvl 15 PCs and they would get exp from the writ it would be really bad in my opinion. Some things are a bit immersion breaking and you gotta go around them and accept them and move on.

I'm not familiar with any writs that have no limitation in party lvl except Curiour quests which are a completely different thing and there's no comparison here. I'm pretty sure there arent. What are they exactly?
Svrtr wrote:

Void

Post by Void » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:17 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:51 pm
If you dont believe it it's
I. DON'T. CARE.

I submitted feedback for the devs and not for you. If you don't like my opinion, that's not my problem.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:27 pm

You have a tenancy to make threads for public discussion (rather than sending DMs/Admins PMs directly) and then reject every opinion that doesnt match yours and with extreme aggressiveness and lack of patience. Good luck man. I'm done here.
Svrtr wrote:

Void

Post by Void » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:38 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:27 pm
and then reject every
That's because arguing is pointless, neither your nor mine opinion will change, at best it will result in 50 pages of discussion, result in nothing aside from wasted time and thread getting locked and maybe someone getting banned. Been there, done that, many times. It is never worth the time investment. And fending off people in some sort of internet trial combat is not something I find enjoyable.
AstralUniverse wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:27 pm
I'm done here.
I sincerely appreciate that had courtesy not to try to drag me into fruitless argument, and skipped straight to acceptance of different opinion and "agreeing to disagree".
Have a nice day and good luck with your endeavors. See you in the game.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:37 pm

All your posts have been super aggressive and condescending, across multiple threads.

If you don't care about other people's opinions, don't answer. Post your feedback and leave it at that, don't lash out.

Void

Post by Void » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:42 pm

Shadowy Reality wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:37 pm
All your posts have been super aggressive and condescending, across multiple threads.
And that is false. Feel free to go through post history.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:12 pm

Void wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:42 pm
Shadowy Reality wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:37 pm
And that is false. Feel free to go through post history.
Eesh. You had mentioned you had added people to your enemy list for disagreeing with you about darkness, dawg. Maybe take a hard look at yourself and your posts.

DM Rex

Post by DM Rex » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:03 am

I don't really think I need to say much about this one.
I'm extremely disappointed.