Beneath the Heights and Wyverns

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

PenguinNinja

Beneath the Heights and Wyverns

Post by PenguinNinja » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:40 am

This dungeon has been implemented for several years now, and yet for some reason it is still full of mobs that are vastly overpowered for the supposed level range of the area. (9-15) The Wyverns are just far too strong for the area. They have a wing buffet that knocks you down for several rounds, 22 AB, 4 APR, a ton of health, DC 26 con poison, and consistently tear through PC's.

I understand that certain builds have trouble with them, while others have no issue, but those certain builds are effectively not allowed to level there, despite the fact they can deal with everything but these.

I have consistently had issues with them on just about every character at some point. I understand without them the Ogrillions might be a bit too easy, but it just does not seem very balanced to bed cutting through the Ogrillions with ease, only to just be annihilated just because there was a Wyvern.

garrbear758

Re: Beneath the Heights and Wyverns

Post by garrbear758 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:30 am

Bring potions of warding or buy negative energy protection scrolls and they are way easier. Some areas require a little planning
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

PenguinNinja

Post by PenguinNinja » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:46 am

Oh I always use them, even so the poison is really not the part that kills.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:06 am

While I am sympathetic to your plight here, I don't find these monsters to be poorly balanced. The wyverns provide a challenge in the form of unpredictability and will force some characters to flee - this isn't bad design. Some areas need a gatekeeper and the wyvern is the heights just like the slime troll is the temple's.

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:09 am

The system is not balanced around what a single Character can or cannot achieve, it is balanced around what a group can do there and still enjoy themselves. It's why Parties get bonus XP.

Besides, the Wyvern in that area are a particulaly important aspect of the Area's RP, considering that at the top of the Heights they are bred and reared.
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.