Ranger animal empathy, henchman status

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Oaks

Ranger animal empathy, henchman status

Post by Oaks » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:16 pm

In my opinion it's a bit weird to base the decision if a ranger can keep their AEd creatures as henchmen (meaning you can rest without losing them and/or AE second one) on a level ratio.

"As long as 3/4 of character levels are ranger levels (...)" means that many builds will be able to do the above, but later on lose that ability for no reason whatsoever. Characters don't become less of a ranger by taking levels in other classes later.

I don't see why a level 9 ranger should be able to do something that a 21 ranger / something somehow can't (anymore).

Maybe gate this feature behind a fixed level requirement instead?
The old that is strong does not wither
Deep roots are not reached by the frost

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Ranger animal empathy, henchman status

Post by CookieMonster » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:57 pm

I actually encountered this recently and it really confused me. I have 16 Ranger Levels and 5 AA levels and I can't Animal Emp for Henchmen anymore.
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:15 pm

The beauty of the current iteration is that it gives some added oomph to all ranger characters with a majority of ranger lvls instead of something that turns ON at some specific level.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 pm

If that is the case, then it should be something specifically for having majority ranger levels, not 3/4 which would oddly be deactivated and reactivated if someone levels.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Void

Post by Void » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:37 am

Oaks wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:16 pm
In my opinion it's a bit weird to base the decision if a ranger can keep their AEd creatures as henchmen (meaning you can rest without losing them and/or AE second one) on a level ratio.

"As long as 3/4 of character levels are ranger levels (...)" means that many builds will be able to do the above, but later on lose that ability for no reason whatsoever. Characters don't become less of a ranger by taking levels in other classes later.

I don't see why a level 9 ranger should be able to do something that a 21 ranger / something somehow can't (anymore).

Maybe gate this feature behind a fixed level requirement instead?
Gating the feature behind fixed level requirement would defeat its point, because currently as you grow stronger you can "hire" stronger animal. This is kinda important part of the experience. Progressing from rat to bear is rewarding, and if the ability arbitrarily enables at some level, the impact won't be the same.

The reason why it is gated beyond 3/4 levels is because there are some powerful creatures, and with cap removed, you'll have an army or sorc27/ranger3 with army of super bears buffed through the roof.

From RP perspective losing the ability can be played as "you feel that your connection with nature grows weaker". Because you've spent so many levels on other things, you're losing the touch. That's if you want an explanation.
Another forum ban, here we go again.