Surface Races in Anundor

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

NPC Logger Number 2

Surface Races in Anundor

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 pm

Aniel wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:21 pm
If you want to play in Menzoberranzan or another drow dominate city, there are other servers that accommodate that. Andunor is a trade city most comparable to Skullport.
So Anundor is just cave-flavored Sencliff. Apparently sun elves have as much right to live there as drow. With the devs making it require a reward to play an Outcast or Slave I thought finally we had reached a point where Anundor would be recognized as the domain of drow, ogres, goblins, and other monstrous races, and that humans/elves/etc. would become the minority there. But nope. Honestly, I don't want to play any monster race as long as this attitude remains prevalent on the server.. And I've seen the same sentiment expressed by others, that Anundor does not feel like an Underdark city because of all the humans and elves casually hanging out there. Good aligned drow are not allowed to dominate Cordor. I'm tired of the double standard and I'd like to see surface races treated more harshly in the Underdark than they currently are for the sake of immersion and consistency. Elves should FEAR the Underdark, not go there to shop and sing kumbaya around the fire with drow.

Discuss.

Edit: Changed the title of the thread to be more accurate.
Last edited by NPC Logger Number 2 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The punishing of wits enhances their authority.”
Francis Bacon

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Monstrous Races & Anundor

Post by Aniel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:14 pm

NPC Logger Number 2 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 pm
Aniel wrote:
If you want to play in Menzoberranzan or another drow dominate city, there are other servers that accommodate that. Andunor is a trade city most comparable to Skullport.
So Anundor is just cave-flavored Sencliff. Apparently sun elves have as much right to live there as drow. With the devs making it require a reward to play an Outcast or Slave I thought finally we had reached a point where Anundor would be recognized as the domain of drow, ogres, goblins, and other monstrous races, and that humans/elves/etc. would become the minority there. But nope. Honestly, I don't want to play any monster race as long as this attitude remains prevalent on the server.. And I've seen the same sentiment expressed by others, that Anundor does not feel like an Underdark city because of all the humans and elves casually hanging out there. Good aligned drow are not allowed to dominate Cordor. I'm tired of the double standard and I'd like to see surface races treated more harshly in the Underdark than they currently are for the sake of immersion and consistency. Elves should FEAR the Underdark, not go there to shop and sing kumbaya around the fire with drow.

Discuss.
There's not a double standard. That's silly. Also, for the record, I've always been against the outcast change to being an award.

Do you by any chance play a Nostalfay?

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Biolab00 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:17 pm

Aniel wrote:

Discuss.
I truly treat Audunor as a monster city though
I'm heading there sometimes to buy stuff, rare but happens

I don't actually walk in then open but stealth walking around, sort of afraid of being seen.
I don't even dare to enter the hub.

I didn't realize that the situation was not what I assumed to be.

Though, I'll still be that sneaky fellow.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:22 pm

So... give said elf a hard time? Insult them. Spit on them. Threaten them with death. Kill them, if neccesary. If the elf is a slave, - do some of the above and go to the master. Make their ic lives miserable.

Let me explain something.

The Surface is basically good aligned.
'Good' alignment tends to be linked with love, tolerance, kindness, ect.
So when a Drow or some such pops on the surface and says, 'But I'm a -good- drow,' DMs tend to have to step in, because the easy IC response from people who are 'good' aligned is to play the tolerance aspect of that.

The Underdark is mostly Evil aligned.
So when a (uncollared) sun elf pops in, they tend to be met with hatred, harassment, and cruetly. This is how it should be, and as DMs we rarely have to step in.

That is why there may seem a bit of double standard going on there. We just have to police the surface a lot harder in that manner.

With that being said, if there are none-outcast/slave surface races just hopping about Andunor day by day, owning property and such - do let us know and we'll look into it. (And I don't mean 'visiting' I mean 'living' to be clear.) Because that probably shouldn't be happening.

(As a note - if you're complaining about surfacers 'visiting' Andunor - then keep in mind that you can do just the same in Cordor! If your Drow is smart he should probably cover up, sneak, and be heavily disguised (and not go in daylight). But still, in theory he could do just the same. We got rid of the kill scripts. We don't 'ban' all underdarkers from surface places, we just ban them from entering there openly and expecting hugs and kisses. In the same way a surfacer should be very cautious and very scared when sneaking around Andunor, any underdarker should be about a surface settlment.)

Beyond that though - to a large extent - be the change you want to be.

'But I don't like outcasts!'

No one says you can't give them a hard time. But don't make it unplayable for them. Consider instead the fun story lines you can make tiwth them. The interasting interactions. How your character can look at this human and go, 'Hrm. How can I put this stupid surface pig to work?' Rather than just clicking the kill button.

And after reading this if your thought is 'I don't like Andunor having any non monster races in here. Let's just kill all the outcast/slave characters over and over until their players are miserable and quit and we rule Andunor!' Then well... yeah this isn't the server for you. Sorry.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:25 pm

The problem isn't Andunor.

The problem is the Surface.

If elves are "hanging out in Andunor", it means the playerbase believes surface elves have as much right to loiter in Anundor as anyone else. That's the problem.

Be angry at your fellow players and their lack of conviction and follow-through, not dev design or dm intervention.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Andunor has never been Udos 2 Dead Server Buggaloo and I honestly think most people know that, including the ones who claim it's supposed to be. And, yeah, how exactly is surfacers coming to the underdark to act a fool (a time honored tradition) the underdark's problem and not those surfacers behaving incorrectly? Make a thread about that.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:36 pm

Is it not common knowledge that Andunor isn't a drow city? It's a general Underdark city, isn't it?

I woulda thought the Duergar lot would welcome a sun elf who's willing to roll details on the dwarves up in Brogendenstein, probably vouch for them too.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

Biolab00

Post by Biolab00 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:37 pm

I truly can't fathom that surfacer can act so openly in Andunor.
There's vastly more underdarker and many epics as well.
It doesn't lose out to Cordor at all. Hence, i always trust myself to be sneaky.

Those surfacer that act like king in Andunor must have a few screws loose in their brain, unless, WAR is coming.
[ Who says you can't get killed in town if you're so flamboyant as an enemy race? Enter the Underdark :twisted: :twisted: ]

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:45 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:31 pm
Andunor has never been Udos 2 Dead Server Buggaloo and I honestly think most people know that, including the ones who claim it's supposed to be. And, yeah, how exactly is surfacers coming to the underdark to act a fool (a time honored tradition) the underdark's problem and not those surfacers behaving incorrectly? Make a thread about that.
(Snipped by Forum Moderation)

Edit: Changed the thread title to something a bit more appropriate.
Francis Bacon

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:06 pm

Aniel wrote:
As someone who is familiar with both the settings of Menzoberranzan and Skullport, and who currently plays a Menzoberranyr living in Andunor, I can safely state that Andunor is less open to surface visitors than Menzoberranzan itself. Menzoberranzan is by lore very open to visitors, especially visitors who bring there money. These visitors are afforded few guarantees and can meet their end in the City of Spiders if they are not careful, but they are not required to prove themselves as being pariahs among their surface peers to simply go there to trade (Underdark, 2003, page 161). Menzoberranzan has even a few free npcs belonging to surface races who are permanent residents, such as Myrlyth Calask (human priest of Lathander, undercover as hairdresser), Myrip Minstrelwish (halfling thief who works as perfumer), Olosk Dhaulvin (dwarf fighter, arms dealer), and Symeera and the owner of Narbondel's Shadow who own inns that welcome human visitors (Menzoberranzan, 1992, page 42 and map).

Any drow from Menzoberranzan would find the attitude of Andunorian citizens toward surfacers not only stricter and peculiar but also self-demeaning, and that's precisely how my main drow who is from there reacts to it, even if she usually does not care to do much more than pointing it out when she hears claims that are truly too outlandish.

And if Andunor is stricter compared to Menzo itself, then the comparison to Skullport is even less appropriate, as it is truly an open trade city where surfacers are not asked any questions if they come there to trade. In the 1999 sourcebook on Skullport multiple characters belonging to most surface races are mentioned, including even a (free) elf tailor named Kestin (page 54). Furthermore, while few human natives of Skullport (Skulkers) would declare their origin on the surface, there is no reason to think that they would be considered outcasts up top, without a reason. They are certainly not goodly, in general, but they are really not "outcasts" either (page 15).

The city in the lore that is most comparable to Andunor right now is Mantol Derith, in my opinion, and even then there are surface dwellers among the residents and there is no indication that these surfacers are seen as outcasts from their surface kin. (Drizzt Do'Urden's guide to the Underdark, 1999, page 42, and Underdark, 2003, page 160). Still, at least it fits the description of a trade city open mostly to monsters and Underdark races, unlike both Menzoberranzan and Skullport.
Elves should FEAR the Underdark, not go there to shop and sing kumbaya around the fire with drow.
Albeit, in light of what I explained above, I find the general attitude toward surfacers in Andunor simply inconsistent and downright nonsensical, I do agree whole-heartedly with this point.

Even if there are some exceptions, as that tailor from Skullport mentioned above, I have found few, if any, references to an abundant presence of surface elves in the Underdark. I am not saying that a few exceptions cannot exist, they exist, and there are some in the lore in fact, but they do not seem any more significant than the presence of drow on the surface. Actually I would argue that the drow have at least Vhaerunite and Eilistraeean groups that actively pursue life on the surface, whereas the elves do not have anything of the kind. So these exceptions are in fact even less significant.

So it is fair to say that elves do not belong in the Underdark any more than the drow belong on the surface. The exceptions might probably be admitted in a multi-racial settlement like Andunor, but they certainly should not be many in my opinion, for the sake of the integrity of the setting, if anything else. And obviously their life should not be any easier than the life of a drow on the surface.

Ebonstar

Re: Surface Races in Anundor

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:16 pm

Unless they are known or sponsored in recent months, most wayward surface elves either end up one of three ways

they are the main course in the feast of the beastbloods or made slave by them

they are the special guest of the Drow and meet their end in formal ceremony as sacrifice to the Spider Queen or are made slave to the drow ( 90% end up as sacrifice)
Yes I can sign

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:22 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:16 pm
Unless they are known or sponsored in recent months, most wayward surface elves either end up one of three ways

they are the main course in the feast of the beastbloods or made slave by them

they are the special guest of the Drow and meet their end in formal ceremony as sacrifice to the Spider Queen or are made slave to the drow ( 90% end up as sacrifice)
This sounds like a big improvement over when I last tried to play my Drow, which admittedly was a long time ago, before Outcasts and Slaves were locked behind a reward. The last straw for me was when I walked across the hub after accepting a writ and saw half a dozen sun elf slaves sitting around smiling and acting happy in the presence of a balor, drow, ogre, and several undead.
Francis Bacon

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:25 pm

There are still many elven slaves. I have seen perhaps a bit fewer of them in the last few weeks, but I doubt they have all suddenly disappeared.

Also even before the award lock, elven slaves could not be created. Only half-orcs and humans could, and still can with the awards, start as slaves and outcasts.

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Itikar wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:25 pm
There are still many elven slaves. I have seen perhaps a bit fewer of them in the last few weeks, but I doubt they have all suddenly disappeared.

Also even before the award lock, elven slaves could not be created. Only half-orcs and humans could, and still can with the awards, start as slaves and outcasts.
This is informative, thanks.
Francis Bacon

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:25 pm

Well put, Itikar.
Last edited by Ork on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:41 pm

I think maybe the issue is less that the surface races exist in the UD and more so that they come with such big attitudes? Or they're in the city and just completely disregard the city climate or what is perceived to be the climate.

Like if you're a drow and an elf slave tells you off and then threatens you it's like... What?

How many surfacers actually come down to do business and aren't just there to take advantage of the grind spots?

That being said, I don't think it is a huge issue. I remember havibg the thought recently after the reward change happened how many new unique races I saw and how cool that was! There are already IC plots revolving around disobedient or mouthy slaves etc, all of it is IC.

I think a huge source of frustration is looking out and seeing a lot of things that don't fit the setting as perceived by one's self. The issue is that you can't change what other people do and how they RP. While petioning for additional change and starting a dialog may have merit I think that road is long and that is a long time to be frustrated.

In my.opinon the best course of action is to focus on your own RP. Like portray the Andunor your character believes it should be through that character. Set an example with your own RP etc.

As far as mechanical changes I do not believe there is much more that can be done to limit surface access beyond some like heavy handed changes to portals maybe.
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:52 pm

I think the anti-surfacer sentiment largely stems from bitterness at the fact that if a couple mid-teen goblins came up to the surface for some fun exploration, they'd be spotted by some do-gooder who would promptly mobilize twelve of their friends to go and purge the villains from the world. As well as the fact that if a monster race tries interacting with surfacers and cleverly sells themselves as a "good person, actually, just give me a chance ;)" then the DMs feel compelled to step in - oftentimes in very heavy-handed ways to counter seemingly legitimate roleplay. When an Underdarker's running a trade post on the surface and some DM-possessed local guard walks up and one-shots them without much in the way of satisfying interaction, it's easy to see why that Underdarker, and all that Underdarker's friends, feel as though they are relegated to unfair treatment, and feel justified in perpetuating that mistreatment unto others.

Evil can tolerate good, if it can extract some benefit from it. Good isn't really allowed tolerate evil.

With things like the Outcast tag, the Drow height change, the racial tags, and segregation as just a general server policy... I don't know what else to say other than how frustrating it is to see things trending towards the same level of depth between the UD and Surface as is present in World of Warcraft's arbitrary conflict between the Horde and Alliance.

Speaking as someone who absolutely adores the Hot Mess that is drow roleplay, playing a surface evil is honestly a thousand times more satisfying than a monstrous evil. Maybe there needs to be places (though perhaps not settlements) on the surface where monster races are allowed to freely intermingle with surfacers. Maybe more monster players should make the switch to playing surface villains if they're so tired of the struggle. Maybe it takes a boycott to get the change you want to see. Maybe it's time for UD society to live up to how utterly unviable it is in a living world and just die already. Maybe I'm saying all this because I'm cranky before I have my breakfast. Maybe I'm just sad all the time and I don't know why anymore.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:05 pm

So Anundor is just cave-flavored Sencliff. Apparently sun elves have as much right to live there as drow. With the devs making it require a reward to play an Outcast or Slave I thought finally we had reached a point where Anundor would be recognized as the domain of drow, ogres, goblins, and other monstrous races
No, because it wouldn't exist if not for trade. Why do you think it's in the Upperdark and so accessible?
"Last thing we want is surfacers in here, so lets build it as close to the surface as we can!"

Or that so many monstrous races that don't usually get along are in there together?

If anything, I could ICly see one of the monstrous races or aggressive tribes being driven out because they're far more likely to squabble and have less of value to trade. Surfacer races bring in the $$$ which is what pays the Peacekeeper wages.

If I were a Duergar in the underdark and saw a drow/goblin/kobold harassing surfacers near one of my stores, I'd probably threaten or attack them because they're messing with my income.

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:04 pm

These are some good responses.
Francis Bacon

Chosen Son

Post by Chosen Son » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:14 pm

Something else to consider, and something that I have always wondered why it does not happen more often is, surface pcs make amazing pawns for andunorian schemes. Some of them might merit killing, or sacrifice, or enslavement, but others can be blackmailed, or charmed and manipulated, or hired to kill someone in Andunor before they flee to the surface and your pc can wash their hands clean of the act. They can be recruited to serve as spies, and feed counter intelligence.

Sure they will possibly (likely) turn double agent, but if you are a drow why would you be worried of not being able to outsmart a silly human. You expecting your drow allies to also be your enemies goes hand in hand wiht being a evil drow. Just apply same to dealing with your new potential catspaws and inadvertant, manipulated minions.

Surface pcs, alongside outcasts are just as much opportunities as they are threats. How you respond to them often determines which they end up being.

However if there really is bad or immersion breaking rp going on, you can always document it and forward it to the dms, who I understand review things on a case by case basis.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:30 pm

I always think of this the same way I think about playing a svirf. Naturally there would be more isolation, conflict, inter-species murder rampages, etc. But in the end it is an RP server and we may need to bend our expectations of the lore to create rp opportunities.

It is what you do with that rp that matters. Finds ways to create conflict without killing every outsider you see.

dallion43

Post by dallion43 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:20 pm

I always find it funny that while surface population is bigger then Anduurs the surface shops are usually a sad sight.
That to some extent shows a bit who plays on surface and who in UD and explains a bit the current Anduur.

Regarding surfacers in Anduur, I highly doubt that the vast majority of them are evil or neutral chaotic variants.
Good and lawful variants going to Anduur and behaving home is just plain wierd.
Trade or not, it is a city full of slaves, monsters and evil PCs.

If Anduur really wants to drive ALL the surfacers out with DMs help? Imho, no.
Anduur will lose more then it will gain.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:46 pm

Chosen Son wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:14 pm
Something else to consider, and something that I have always wondered why it does not happen more often is, surface pcs make amazing pawns for andunorian schemes. Some of them might merit killing, or sacrifice, or enslavement, but others can be blackmailed, or charmed and manipulated, or hired to kill someone in Andunor before they flee to the surface and your pc can wash their hands clean of the act. They can be recruited to serve as spies, and feed counter intelligence.

Sure they will possibly (likely) turn double agent, but if you are a drow why would you be worried of not being able to outsmart a silly human. You expecting your drow allies to also be your enemies goes hand in hand wiht being a evil drow. Just apply same to dealing with your new potential catspaws and inadvertant, manipulated minions.

Surface pcs, alongside outcasts are just as much opportunities as they are threats. How you respond to them often determines which they end up being.

However if there really is bad or immersion breaking rp going on, you can always document it and forward it to the dms, who I understand review things on a case by case basis.
I love every bit of this post.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:11 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:22 pm
But still, in theory he could do just the same. We got rid of the kill scripts.
Those kill scripts were the singular reason I made my assassin character a surface race instead of a Ilythiiri. I’m glad to see them gone, maybe one day I’ll revisit the concept I had before I made my assassin.

Now, as a surface elf who comes to Andunor somewhat frequently, I always play it very cautious with him. He’s fully covered, is disguised, typically walks around in stealth. He had connections down there long ago but none of them are left. He only comes there to get what he needs and then is gone again.

I say this to explain that I think the role play of any surface race who goes down there should be cautious and nervous while constantly looking over their shoulder. If the players aren’t doing this then I believe they are at fault, not the setting.

let it trip

Post by let it trip » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:28 am

I disagree. It may need a bit more time to happen but I have definitely noticed extra drow (and sometimes other monsters) playing in the last few months.