Fey and Imp models/sizes

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

BaRKyy

Fey and Imp models/sizes

Post by BaRKyy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:27 am

It'd be nice if we could get some feedback on fey and imp, especially fey.

Their models are naturally faster than others in the server. So a hasted fey will outpace you when you're hasted. A movement cap was introduced to stop cheesing methods, yet a fey can 'abuse' their increased speed to get sneak attacks/flanking quite easily. They're also very hard to click on in combat. If you test it in a duel on the pgcc not only are they faster than you, but also hard to hit. What ends up happening is the fey can just outrun you no matter what. For mundanes there's little to nothing you can do to deal with it except click them and hope they stop running eventually.

Same with imp, albeit not as bad.

I was thinking it may just be possible to change their models to halfling/elves and just downscale them tremendously so. It's possible in certain modules to have models be 'flying' which would be a neat addition. Also allows them to cloth their imps/fey, and not have everyone look exactly the same.

I don't know, thoughts?
Jacetuhn Nerelith
Locksryn Vista
Banjo Morgan
Che Firenze
Sly Laenarys
James Hightower

-stick-
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Fey and Imp models/sizes

Post by -stick- » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:00 am

Those are greater award races and both have wings so let them enjoy the speed boost 😉

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:15 am

I am not a fan of changing models. The current models are fine. A small elf with butterfly wings is not the same, and I think would look silly. Same for imps. It would be a downgrade for both I feel, and probably requires a lot of dev work.

I am all for capping their speed like other races, but don't particularly see an issue with unhasted speed being faster than others.

As for model size... I mean, you can argue the same for many other races, goblins are harder to click than ogres, it is just how it is.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:34 am

Changing a race's model is relatively straightforward on the dev side, cosmetic considerations notwithstanding.

Even slight movement speed increases have a considerable impact in PvP at high-end play. It either needs to be fixed, or the races balanced with it in mind. Being a reward race does not excuse errors.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:38 am

ReverentBlade wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:34 am
Changing a race's model is relatively straightforward on the dev side, cosmetic considerations notwithstanding.

Even slight movement speed increases have a considerable impact in PvP at high-end play. It either needs to be fixed, or the races balanced with it in mind. Being a reward race does not excuse errors.
In this case it is not solely changing the model, as pixie and imps fly, they typically don't walk. I have never seen a regular PC flying animation, I am guessing for a good reason.

Capping the hasted speed is all that is needed. In high-end PvP everyone should be hasted, so everyone will have the same speed. Being faster while not hasted is nice, but not game breaking. Vampires already have something similar to this.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:41 pm

Imp needs removed before it needs changed to a halfling dressup model.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

BaRKyy

Post by BaRKyy » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:09 pm

I don't mind their unhasted speed being faster. Just simply the movement speed cap of theirs.

The issue is that it's hardcoded to their model, meaning you'd need to change models for them to have the same movement cap as others.

Saying that they're a greater so it's fine is a bit of a cop-out. It's incredibly strong in pvp, having guaranteed sneak attacks on a single target as well as the ability to outrun them regardless of what they do is exactly the reason why the cap was introduced.
Jacetuhn Nerelith
Locksryn Vista
Banjo Morgan
Che Firenze
Sly Laenarys
James Hightower

three wolf moon

Post by three wolf moon » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:23 pm

Shadowy Reality wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:15 am
I am not a fan of changing models. The current models are fine. A small elf with butterfly wings is not the same, and I think would look silly. Same for imps. It would be a downgrade for both I feel, and probably requires a lot of dev work.
The current model, for pixie at least, is not fine. It's low-res, lazy, and doesn't really represent what a pixie actually looks like. Pixies are very individualistic creatures which love fashion, and yes do look like little elves with wings:
the wiki wrote:Pixies resembled tiny elves, with reports placing them variously at 2.5 feet (0.76 meters) to as little as 1 foot (0.3 meters) in height. Pixies had silvery, moth-like wings and preferred to wear brightly colored clothing.
Imps however are monsters without any care for those things, and each of them generally looks the same, so it wouldn't really fit for them to get the "small person" treatment.

EDIT FOR FUN
this is fine
Last edited by three wolf moon on Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:32 pm

The fact that pixies are so difficult to target due to their itsy bitsy hitboxes and fast movement makes them hands down the most annoying little bastards in PvP. Anything that fixes that would be a welcome change.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

Za-Lord~s Guard

Post by Za-Lord~s Guard » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:30 pm

I would very much like a customizable fey model, to show off the fact Tyne's wardrobe is an eyesore of bright and flashy colors.
"I don't believe in fairies!" - Harry Dresden, the Dresden Files

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:37 pm

In a similar style, Hobgoblins are slower than everyone. Dynamic models please!

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:46 pm

magistrasa wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:32 pm
The fact that pixies are so difficult to target due to their itsy bitsy hitboxes and fast movement makes them hands down the most annoying little bastards in PvP. Anything that fixes that would be a welcome change.
I was all on board the adjustment train, but this makes me want them to be the same. Who would be heartless enough to attack such lovely creatures?

I think it would also make their reward tier more fitting if they were changed.
Please don't feed my sister.