ShadowClone Change Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

ShadowClone Change Feedback

Post by SteelsSweets » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:39 pm

Previously, even at low lvl SD, the summoned shadow had the name of the summoner. It was Soandso's shadow but it was still there.

It gave it more of a feeling of being something more than just a summoned creature.

I'd like to advocate for that to return. Honestly I'd like to request the 's shadow part be removed so it had the option to just have a name but I realize that is a perk probably intentionally reserved for the epic shadow lord investors.

I've RPed my character's shadow as an integral part of her life for going on four RL years now. I've used it as an RP tool and it has allowed many different characters a chance to join story arcs and provided some interesting conflict.

My shadow isn't an epic shadow lord. IC she isn't meant to be that powerful so there is no reason I would take that feat because it wouldn't make RP sense and I'm not a powerbuilder.

If the ability to have the shadow named with out the 's shadow isn't an option can we at least have it back to the way it was?

Additionally, it isn't exactly a summon because it responds to the -a command for emoting/talking and it has a longer duration than what was vanilla. So it was at least previously seen as something more than just a summon to murder things with.

With that logic, I'd love to be able to change it's description like you can other companions no matter what level of SD you have.

I was hesitant to post on this board because I've seen other threads turn ugly. So, I ask that not happen here. Thank you.

~Sweets
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

Zaphiel
Contributor
Contributor

Re: ShadowClone Change Feedback

Post by Zaphiel » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:07 pm

I would like to start saying with I am not trying to be hostile.

But, I am curious. How a totally OOC tag change can affect your roleplay? From what I understand in here, you were RPing it as an part of your character just because it had "A's Shadow" tag above it's head. Now, you can't do that because... it is "Summoned Shadow" anymore. Which is... I don't know. Weird.
Edited for grammar to make it worse, probably.

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:21 pm

No. I will continue to RP it as I always have. It is an aesthetic change for the floaty tag that I am requesting.

If it doesn't make sense to you and you don't understand how a name change for a summon matters, can it be put back to the way it was?

Maybe I'm alone in my issue with this change. I don't know. But this is exactly why I offered to speak one on one. A public thread posting can very easily appear hostile even if it wasn't meant to be.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Well, there IS a difference between "a summoned creature" and "your shadow has come alive".

If WYSIWYG is a rule.... With a change to the name, the "lore" on the shadow is, on the surface, changed, which is what upsets the OP, to my understanding.

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:54 pm

Skarain wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:39 pm
Well, there IS a difference between "a summoned creature" and "your shadow has come alive".

If WYSIWYG is a rule.... With a change to the name, the "lore" on the shadow is, on the surface, changed, which is what upsets the OP, to my understanding.
Thank you for explaining it in a way I could not quite articulate.

gives honorary diploma in Sweets language skills

Zaphiel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Zaphiel » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:04 pm

Skarain wrote:

I doubt WYSIWYG is a rule that applies to OOC tags. This is like... A kobold disguises with "Cowled Halfling" while his appearance is still kobold. Yes, this is an engine limitation but that tag doesn't changes WYSIWYG ruling. Same thing applies for shadow as well. Also, if we look into Summon Shadow feat description:
Once per day the shadowdancer can summon a shadow. This shadow is extremely difficult to turn and becomes more powerful as the shadowdancer gains levels.
I have always been curious why summoned shadow was in the shape of Shadowdancer. Regardless, this doesn't changes the fact of it is a summoned creature.
Edited for grammar to make it worse, probably.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Zaphiel wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:04 pm
Skarain wrote:

I doubt WYSIWYG is a rule that applies to OOC tags. This is like... A kobold disguises with "Cowled Halfling" while his appearance is still kobold. Yes, this is an engine limitation but that tag doesn't changes WYSIWYG ruling. Same thing applies for shadow as well. Also, if we look into Summon Shadow feat description:
Once per day the shadowdancer can summon a shadow. This shadow is extremely difficult to turn and becomes more powerful as the shadowdancer gains levels.
I have always been curious why summoned shadow was in the shape of Shadowdancer. Regardless, this doesn't changes the fact of it is a summoned creature.
Those are just conflicting What you see os wjay you get with the more obvious "what your see is what you get" taking priority/dominance. Like for example god emoting cant be taken at face value because it assumes success, but we like to avoid said situation to begin with by discouraging emotes that we can not take at face value.

That being said, I'm not sure how power gaming has anything to do with epic shadow lord feat 5 SD dip isnt any less optimal than an epic shadow dancer, but I am a fan of continuity for existing characters.

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:02 pm

I know this is thread-o-mancy but is there any chance this can be discussed to be changed. Reverted back to the way it was? Please?

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:51 am

SteelsSweets wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:02 pm
I know this is thread-o-mancy but is there any chance this can be discussed to be changed. Reverted back to the way it was? Please?
Unless the DM team feels they wish to say said RP is invalid or discouraged, or have some other reason for said change (vision of server, yaddi yadda), I see no reason to not revert the name tag to the way it was and allow freedom of RP.

*EDIT*

Your main issue would be a contributor feeling it mattered enough to warrant their near future time.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:25 am

It was way cooler before, even if it is just a nametag.

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SteelsSweets » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:05 pm

It changed so suddenly that it makes me think it was a very simple thing.

Just a guess though.

But if so, please?