All the Cooldowns Megathread

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Seven Sons of Sin

All the Cooldowns Megathread

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:37 pm

2 seconds = first flurry
6 seconds = 1 Round
10 rounds = 1 Turn
1 Turn = 60 seconds / 1 minute
Aka 10 minutes = 10 turns = 100 rounds

1 in-game hour = 6 minutes = 6 turns = 60 rounds

Class Cooldowns (via order of appearance in the wiki)

Knight,

Heroic Shield: 1 hour [I imagine this is 1 IN-game hour, or 6 turns?]
Rallying Cry, Inspire Courage, Fear: 3 turns (or 1.5 turns for the associated -path)
Oath of Wrath & Final Stand: 3 turns

Arcane Archer,
None? All abilities are per day.

Assassin,
spells: 2 minute cooldown (2 turns)
-assassinate: 2 minutes against NPCs (2 turns), and 10 minutes against PCs (10 turns)

Barbarian,
Rage: 2 minutes

Bard,
None.

Blackguard,
Bull’s Strength: 10 minutes
Summon Fiend: 6 minutes

Cavalier,
Spirited Charge: 30 seconds (5 rounds)

Champion (of Torm),
Divine Wrath: 8 minutes (80 rounds)
Lay on Hands: 10 minutes (100 rounds)

Cleric,
None.

Commoner,
None.

Druid,
Animal Companion: 10 minutes

Favoured Soul,
None.

Harpers,
None?

Healer,
Maybe??

Hexblade,
Hexes: 3 minutes (3 turns)

Monk,
Quivering Palm: 5 minutes
Wholeness of Body: 10 minutes

Paladin,
Lay on Hands: 10 minutes (100 rounds)
Remove Disease: 3 minutes

Pale Master,
Deathless Master’s Touch: 10 minutes

Ranger,
Animal Companion: 10 minutes.

Red Dragon Disciple,
Dragon Breath: 10 minutes

Rogue,
-rogue: 2 hours and 24 minutes (once per IG day)
Stealth Attack Bonus (level 24): 30 seconds

Shadow Mage,
Hide in Plain Sight: 30 seconds (5 rounds)

Shadowdancer,
Shadow Displacement: 6 minutes (60 rounds) – reduced by 1 minute at 12th, 14th, etc. SD level.
Shadow Daze: 5 minutes (50 rounds) – reduced by 1 minute at 12th, 15th, etc. SD.
Shadow Evade: 5 minutes (50 rounds)
Summon Shadow: 3 minutes (30 rounds – not 15 as the wiki says)
Hide in Plain Sight: 30 seconds (5 rounds)

Shaman,
None.

Shifter,
None.

Sorcerer,
None.

Swashbuckler,
Acrobatic Skills Mastery: 3 minutes.
Feint: once per round (or 1 round?)
Second Intention: once per round (or 1 round? Doesn’t stack with Feint)
Third Intention: 5 minutes – 3 minutes at 25th, 1 minute at 28th.
Improved Acrobatic Skills Mastery: 3 minutes.

Spellsword,
no…ne?

Warlock,
Summon Shadow: 3 minutes
Shadow Shield: 3 minutes
Haste: when cast on target that’s not warlock, 10 rounds or Warlock Lvl -1 (whichever is lower)
Summon Creature: Spell Level + 1 in Rounds (i.e. Summon Creature 4 would be 4 + 1 rounds cooldown. Triggers on Summon’s death)

Weapon Master,
none.

Wild mage,
none.

Wizard,
none.

Feats,
Blinding Speed: 8 minutes (reduced by 1 minute for every 6 levels of assassin, rogue, or shadowdancer)
-project_image: 10 minutes
-teleport: 10 minutes

Please correct me and comment more, so we can get as many in one spot as possible. I was unsure to include stuff like Divine Might/Shield because the cooldown is so character-specific?

edit: you can definitely see, overall, that there is a language issue in how we talk about cooldowns, particularly the use of minutes vs. turns/rounds.

You can also see how there's cooldowns in minutes that are all across the board - we have 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 6 minutes, 8 minutes, and 10 minutes. ironically nothing at 4, 7, and 9.

I think this would be a good place to start in trying to somehow create some kind of standardizing principle. pick evens or odds. Pick 25 round intervals. I don't know.

edit 2: added Rogue/CoT. I've converted everything to minutes.
Last edited by Seven Sons of Sin on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Archon

Re: All the Cooldowns Megathread

Post by Archon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:10 pm

Hexblade: Hex, 3min CD (3 turns).

Zaphiel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Zaphiel » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:39 pm

Apart of the this thread's intent, I want to say this is an awesome thread. I realized that I have missed to add few cooldowns to -cd command. Expect them to be added in future updates. (Well, I already added them. Update is in pipeline :lol:)
Last edited by Zaphiel on Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edited for grammar to make it worse, probably.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 pm

I really do not think cooldowns should be equalized across the board. Sure, it may be slightly difficult to keep track of, but as of this thread you have the -cd command which will print the duration on all your active cooldowns, so it's not like you have to memorize them all. Equalizing them will break things, for no real benefit.
Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:37 pm
3 seconds = half a Round, first flurry
6 seconds = 1 Round
10 rounds = 1 Turn
1 Turn = 60 seconds / 1 minute
Aka 10 minutes = 10 turns = 100 rounds

1 in-game hour = 6 minutes = 6 turns = 60 rounds

Class Cooldowns (via order of appearance in the wiki)

Knight,

Heroic Shield: 1 hour [I imagine this is 1 IN-game hour, or 6 turns?]
In game hour (6 turns/minutes), yes.
Blackguard,
Bull’s Strength: 10 minutes
other spells: ??
Their other spells are per day.
Champion (of Torm),
Divine Wrath: 8 minutes (80 rounds)
This is reduced based on CoT levels and CHA modifier.
edit: you can definitely see, overall, that there is a language issue in how we talk about cooldowns, particularly the use of minutes vs. turns/rounds.

You can also see how there's cooldowns in minutes that are all across the board - we have 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 6 minutes, 8 minutes, and 10 minutes. ironically nothing at 4, 7, and 9.

I think this would be a good place to start in trying to somehow create some kind of standardizing principle. pick evens or odds. Pick 25 round intervals. I don't know.
Given that minutes and turns are the same thing, it seems kind of nitpicky to call it a language issue.

I also don't understand why different abilities having different cooldowns is a problem. They do very different things, are attached to different classes, and usually cause you to build in different ways (IE, an assassin build is going to look pretty different from a CoT build, which is going to look different from a Knight build). Demanding that they all have the same cooldown just seems illogical and bizarre; it's effectively a gigantic nerf to some abilities and a gigantic buff to others, depending on which way you're moving the needle.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:47 pm

A good way to decide how long cooldowns ought to be might simply be to look at what the ability's function is and how often we want it to be used with PvE in mind (presumably all your CDs will be ready in PvP, and with how quickly PvP resolves, anything with a CD would only be used once per fight anyhow).

- If it's a combat ability you want to pepper into each fight, but don't want to see spammed, a cooldown measured in seconds should do. Whether it's 1 round or 3 rounds or 5 rounds might depend on the ability.
- If it's something that is expected to be used once per engagement, something like a 1 minute CD would probably work fine.
- If it's a big whammy that you want to save up for tough fights, maybe make that a 5 minute CD. Or 6 minutes, since that's "one hour" in-game.
- If it's a unique special ability, or a sweet buff that makes you real good for a while or heals you up somehow, I can see a 10 minute CD fitting as a restriction.

Scaling CDR can then be reserved for big whammies, reducing incrementally every 2 or 3 levels (I believe every "big whammy" ability is restricted to prestige classes as it is, thus none would ever get reduced too far down) so that their PvE usefulness goes up over time.

This is all more or less the philosophy I see present in the way CDs are implemented, there's just no uniformity within the execution of that philosophy. There's also weird exceptions here and there - I don't know why Shadow Daze would be considered a "big whammy" worthy of scaling CDR, when it seems more suited to the "once per engagement" tier of abilities. But maybe that's too much of a balance discussion for the topic at hand.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:54 pm

Hunter548 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:43 pm

Given that minutes and turns are the same thing, it seems kind of nitpicky to call it a language issue.

I also don't understand why different abilities having different cooldowns is a problem. They do very different things, are attached to different classes, and usually cause you to build in different ways (IE, an assassin build is going to look pretty different from a CoT build, which is going to look different from a Knight build). Demanding that they all have the same cooldown just seems illogical and bizarre; it's effectively a gigantic nerf to some abilities and a gigantic buff to others, depending on which way you're moving the needle.
We should just put everything in minutes then. It might seem nitpicky - but it's just for cohesion. Spells are described in-game in turns/rounds, but we have a lot of abilities that are described in minutes. Wouldn't it just be better if they all used the same language?

Part of the impetus is indeed magistrasa's thread - we want things to be accessible. Throwing Arelithian/DnD jargon around with abandon can just be another small barrier to play. Is it nitpicky to ask just all updates to cooldown/abilities now be in minutes? I don't know. Maybe, I guess.

And I don't really want to move the needle. I think different builds should be different. But there's just things that are weird - maybe you'll disagree with me, but here's some examples,

Shadowdancer Displacement is a 6 minute CD, and scales downwards with levels. But both Shadow Daze and Shadow Evade are on a 5 minute CD. The former also scales downwards.

Wouldn't it be more cohesive if, a) Shadow Displacement was also on a 5 min CD, or B) Shadow Evade also had a scaling CD?

Another example is the 2 minute vs 3 minute thing. Knight abilities, Swashbuckler, Warlock summons, Remove Disease, and Hexes are 3 minutes. Barbarian Rage, and -assassinate are 2 minutes. This 1 turn difference for these abilities are balance issues? In what sense? Would it make sense to align core abilities across all classes to function along similar (but maybe not exact) CD timelines?

If anything, this thread can just serve as an easy way to check CDs. But typically across DnD there is some universality to scaling, cooldowns, and durations. And when there isn't, things get confusing.

edit: also, Hunter, can you write out the CD reduction for CoTs? It's not on the wiki anywhere that I can see.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 pm

Thanks for the work on compiling all of this. Itll definitely help me out.

A few small details:
A flurry is 2 seconds not 3
There is no CD reduction on CoT

The difference between 2 minutes and 3 on a cooldown is the likelihood of something getting used twice in a drawn out fight. Ill look at everything individually and talk with the team, and, while its possible we may move some or all of them, im not promising any changes other than better documentation.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:20 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 pm

The difference between 2 minutes and 3 on a cooldown is the likelihood of something getting used twice in a drawn out fight. Ill look at everything individually and talk with the team, and, while its possible we may move some or all of them, im not promising any changes other than better documentation.
Thanks garrbear. Whatever the mechanics folks think is best. It's just good to see all the CDs in one place, I think.
Previous:

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:24 pm

Oh for sure. Thanks for taking the time to write it up! It definitely helps me out to be able to see them all in one place
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted