Zhent Tokens

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

versus

Zhent Tokens

Post by versus » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:10 am

I'm curious if it might be possible to apply for the zhent token without taking one of the classes. Given that the boss said the token requirement is there to protect the RP and assets of the faction rather than keep players from accessing the mechanics of the classes, might it not make sense to grant membership via the act of receiving the token and not the act of taking the prestige classes? Thanks in advance for any clarification.
We can't introduce 'secret' content and have it immediately revealed to everyone. This is why Harpers require approval from DMs, and must agree, both IC and OOC not to undermine that content by revealing members and secrets. I and the other area/NPC builders are not able to invest weeks and months of work on such content, only to have it blown wide-open in the first few days. That is why non-Harper PRCs don't get access to the Harper content, and that is why non-Zhent PRC won't get access to theirs.

Maladus

Re: Zhent Tokens

Post by Maladus » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:40 am

Based on the initial update post, it would not be possible to get access to the Zhentarim faction without taking the class.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:12 pm

I've not got an answer for you yet - I'll talk to the Big Man - If it is possible, you'd still need all the pre-requisits for the class at least.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:30 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:12 pm
I've not got an answer for you yet - I'll talk to the Big Man - If it is possible, you'd still need all the pre-requisits for the class at least.
Irongron from our last conversations has imparted, like the Harpers, anyone who wants to join the Zhentarim (ie; to be the secret agent people the classes are for) will need to apply and receive a token.

This does not stop people from being associates or friends or minions or goons.

They just wont get acces to NPCs, services, be allowed in bases, etc.
🤡

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:33 pm

Red Ropes wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:30 pm
The GrumpyCat wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:12 pm
Irongron from our last conversations has imparted, like the Harpers, anyone who wants to join the Zhentarim (ie; to be the secret agent people the classes are for) will need to apply and receive a token.

This does not stop people from being associates or friends or minions or goons.

They just wont get acces to NPCs, services, be allowed in bases, etc.
Note that that is 'Recieve the Token' not 'Take the class.'
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:35 pm

I am deaf and blind.

I think some Harpers I have known were people who took prequisites to ONE of the classes.

But allowed a token, right?
🤡

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:40 pm

I believe so yes. If that changes though, we'll make a note!
This too shall pass.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:39 pm

The tokens will be restricted to the class only.

As I have explained elsewhere doing otherwise would result in possibly hundreds of members, a fair % of the player base, and keep DMs constantly swamped with applications, and any secret content would quickly become common knowledge.

Like the Harpers, if you wish to experience the benefits of the PrC world content, you must take the class.

As RR said above, that does not prohibit being involved in the organisation in some other capacity.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:36 am

Something that's been on my mind lately, is that it would be very plausible for characters to seek out both these organizations well after they've become established as the results of organic growth of the character or plotline interactions.

Unfortunately, however, the classes pretty much have to be built around from day zero. They are very difficult to rebuild into if your character goes that direction. I would strongly suggest some sort of system or DM commitment to helping characters get squared away mechanically if they ended up drifting into these organizations "naturally".

Would it be insane to offer or automate a total rebuild system for new recruits? I've been hesitant to even engage with the plotlines cropping up because mechanically, well, there's nowhere to go with them if you didn't build your character from day one with the intent.

DM Rex

Post by DM Rex » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:00 am

The above concern is not an isolated worry. We will be announcing upon release what will be offered in the form of relevel opportunities. And begin accepting applications.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:39 am

Will you be required to take all 5 levels to gain access to everything like in the case of Assassins or are 3 levels enough?

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:52 am

Maladus wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:39 am
Will you be required to take all 5 levels to gain access to everything like in the case of Assassins or are 3 levels enough?
If it works like harpers, having the token alone (Ie, if you get it before you take levels) will give you access to NPCs/buildings/etc. 5 levels would only be required for any potential Zhent-wide benefits, like harpers' vote-everywhere that everyone but harper scouts gets at level 5.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.