Navmesh holes and cutoff "islands"

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Rico_scorpion

Navmesh holes and cutoff "islands"

Post by Rico_scorpion » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:42 pm

Hi,

[For those that don't know: simply the "navmesh" is like an invisible paint/layer on the ground that determines what's authorized movement and what is a collision, among (many) other things. Note: I have admitedly no knowledge of the navmesh system in nwn's' engine]

I hesitated between feedback, bug reports, and QandA.

Basically I have seen myself get stuck into props and even sometimes into nothing, a lot more than before. I would like to know if it's a bad streak or my pain is shared by others? Maybe it's because i play a "maximum size fat half orc", but that's not my first so, i don't know.

So yeah, a few examples that come to mind:

- Tomb of the last king, deeper level, the big room, on the sides there are coffins of doom that work like a black hole. Consistently, like, very likely + I have seen someone else be stuck there so can't be just me.
- In front of the black fortress (orclands), in the pits, must have been stuck in a small puny skull or something.
- And this one is brand new/weird/might be a different issue: The last two times, over the course of this week end, that i teleported from "Orclands camp portal" => "Sibayad Outskirts", teleportation went through but upon arrival, my char was stuck in running animation + can't move. Only disconnection and reconnection fixed it.

So yeah, do you guys feel there's something new here, or i just miraculously managed to never fall in those navmesh holes before? (nota: long time veteran here)
Could it be that EE has a new navmesh computation script that is inferior to standard nwn? (in that regard) That would explained why it seems relatively "new" to me.

If a dev sees this: would you see any value in the community compiling those holes?

Thanks for reading!

Halibutthead

Re: Navmesh holes and cutoff "islands"

Post by Halibutthead » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:29 pm

as far as i understand navmeshes, this doesn't seem to be a navmesh problem, but a problem with the AI controller.

that said, i also have no experience with aurora engine's inner workings

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:38 am

NWN's pathfinding has always been kinda wonky. The newer tilesets and lag can exacerbate the issue. I dunno that's there's much to be done about it, though I suppose you might bring particularly bad spots to the dev team's attention for tweaks.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

thimblegiant
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by thimblegiant » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:49 am

I've noticed some of this as well, started around 8193.5 (that was probably around the time of the asset overhaul as well). Nothing major, but I don't recall seeing this before.

However, it's been several months since I've last had a visit, but yesterday I decided to bother the giantkin west of Minmir Hills and found that the majority of spawns got stuck inside the rivers and couldn't climb the banks. It was a bit like walking around a zoo, or more like ducks in a pond. I'll probably write this up as a separate bug if it hasn't already been.