please wait 5 minutes so you can log off for 2 hours

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Halibutthead

please wait 5 minutes so you can log off for 2 hours

Post by Halibutthead » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 pm

reminder that arelith's death system is still currently in a bad place

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: please wait 5 minutes so you can log off for 2 hours

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:15 pm

Can you elaborate?
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:18 pm

Plenty to do in that down time.. Including RPing with others/trading/crafting.

Death should have a severe penalty, I feel it is so easily brushed over by some you might think getting decapitated was no more incapacitating than stubbing a toe.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:21 pm

The point they're making is that the debuff timer starts after you respawn, so if you log in the fugue (an area too big for its own good, or to be fun to be in at all) your timer doesn't tick till you log back in and then respawn.

That's all. I don't see this as a 'death mechanics in general' war thread, and hope that's not what this turns into. (see you on page 8)
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:39 pm

Unsure of what you want. Worse? Less worse? You can still RP, craft, do some other things, and not have to log off.

Do you want to lose an entire level? What? XP used to be very hard to get (I remember when killing a mob AT BEST gained you a little over ten xp) and dying at level 30 would cost you 6,000 XP each time.

Would you rather that again?

Halibutthead

Post by Halibutthead » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:41 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:21 pm
That's all. I don't see this as a 'death mechanics in general' war thread, and hope that's not what this turns into. (see you on page 8)
oh, it will. i say "death mechanics are done poorly" and we'll have:

1.) people who will try to push their pvp agenda
2.) people who will say "BuT mUh CoNsEqUeNcEs" because surely, there is literally no other way to have death mechanics. any change at all is a complete redaction of all consequences ever
3.) people who act like any change presented at all is a punishment specifically for them, personally, in particular. serious, "punishment." their words, not mine.
4.) and irongron coming in to say, for the umpteenth time, that he doesn't agree and that there are no plans to change

then, i'll post another thread in a month or so, and we'll see the same things

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:45 pm

That has a lot more to do with player conduct than death mechanics.

But it would be kinda nice if the timer started in the fugue, so you wouldn't have to wait around the extra five minutes, if you'd rather just run some errands during the wait.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:34 pm

Halibutthead wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:41 pm
PVP is part of arelith whether or not you like it.
Halibutthead wrote:
2.) people who will say "BuT mUh CoNsEqUeNcEs" because surely, there is literally no other way to have death mechanics. any change at all is a complete redaction of all consequences ever
If it were up to me (which luckily for you it's not), you'd lose 30% of your total xp, so be careful what you wish for.
Halibutthead wrote:
3.) people who act like any change presented at all is a punishment specifically for them, personally, in particular. serious, "punishment." their words, not mine.
People are invested in this game and their characters, and while we do have to make mechanical adjustments for overall server health, I totally understand why people get upset about some changes.
Halibutthead wrote:
4.) and irongron coming in to say, for the umpteenth time, that he doesn't agree and that there are no plans to change
There are currently no plans to change death mechanics.
Halibutthead wrote:
See you in a month!
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:56 pm

Just make the death penalties start in the death area, not when leaving it. Having to wait 5 minutes before I'm allowed to log off is just a pain.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:10 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:34 pm
If it were up to me (which luckily for you it's not), you'd lose 30% of your total xp, so be careful what you wish for.
30% of your XP and 30% of your playerbase. That's a twofer! :D

White_935

Post by White_935 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:12 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Halibutthead wrote:
Halibutthead wrote:
Halibutthead wrote:
People are invested in this game and their characters, and while we do have to make mechanical adjustments for overall server health, I totally understand why people get upset about some changes.
Halibutthead wrote:
Halibutthead wrote:
See you in a month!
Am all for harsher death penalties as well, i rarely ever die, but the point is due to the light penalties on death a lot of people act and roleplay as bravehearts, fear of death is a good aspect of roleplay but eh, i guess mechanics can't solve a roleplay aspect in the end.

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:19 pm

The two hour wait is only for re-spawns. Generally unless you TPW someone will just raise you, and no wait.

Otherwise, I think logging off for two hours because you're 'dead' is a suitable penalty. That's an in game day you're gone for. Then after you can RP it further or not, depending on how meaningful it was.

Take the time for a screen break, to think on your mistakes, and be glad when you get back you've only lost a small amount of XP and gold.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:41 pm

Nitro wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:56 pm
Just make the death penalties start in the death area, not when leaving it. Having to wait 5 minutes before I'm allowed to log off is just a pain.
This should already be the case:
Morderon wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:09 pm
Next reset:

Real life time is used for the duration between death and respawn (to prevent having to wait 3 days of game time if you switch servers) and the duration of respawn effects.

The respawn effect duration starts when you die, instead of it starting when you respawn. This means if you spend 20 mins in the death area, your respawn penalties effects are 20 mins less when you respawn. Or die, log off for 3 months, you will only have penalties until your first RPR tick.

Strength penalty has been removed (for real this time) and replaced with AB/damage penalties.
If it isn't, that sounds like a bug!
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:45 pm

I'd rather have low death penalties and people not taking it seriously, than people being able to grief other players using PvP and semi-perma characters. It's really, really stressful. The "bad" part of low death penalties is better than the "bad" part of harsh death penalties IMO.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:57 pm

start the debuff timer when you die rather than respawn

bring back the centralized hub death area but also keep the maze that will let you respawn at other respawn points that aren't where you set your home either at random or with some kind of puzzle to get to them that people can wander off and explore.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:59 pm

If you don't want to rp while rebuffed for fear of getting beat up, then have an alt. I thought everyone did that.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:06 pm

Might-N-Magic wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:39 pm
Unsure of what you want. Worse? Less worse? You can still RP, craft, do some other things, and not have to log off.

Do you want to lose an entire level? What? XP used to be very hard to get (I remember when killing a mob AT BEST gained you a little over ten xp) and dying at level 30 would cost you 6,000 XP each time.

Would you rather that again?
Yes.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:21 pm

Halibutthead wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 pm
reminder that arelith's death system is still currently in a bad place
This feedback is not useful for anyone. It has no elaboration. If you're going to make a (good) feedback thread, please be detailed. Present an idea for brainstorming, or a list of suggested improvements/modifications, or what isn't working well.
Halibutthead wrote:

You shouldn't spam the same feedback monthly either. This may be meant as a joke, but don't do this. It's heard when you post it, and change to systems can take months of volunteer development.
Please don't feed my sister.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:00 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Halibutthead wrote:
Halibutthead wrote:
Halibutthead wrote:
Halibutthead wrote:
Halibutthead wrote:
See you in a month!
Ahahahaha!

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 pm

Making the death penalty higher will not make people RP death more effectively. Making it lighter or non-existent or different won't solve the fact that dying is not ideal and frustrating sometimes. Mechanics can help enable RP but don't make it or prevent it. It sounds like trying to solve a problem that doesn't really exist with a tool that doesn't actually do what we think it does or should do.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:18 pm

The OP does have a point. Why have a respawn timer at all, what does it achieve? Most of the times I just want to log off.

I end up alt-tabbing while the timer runs out.

As someone else mentioned also having the penalties apply instantly would also work (and removed if you are raised).

Aniel
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Aniel » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:23 am

Nitro wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:56 pm
Drowboy wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:21 pm
The point they're making is that the debuff timer starts after you respawn, so if you log in the fugue (an area too big for its own good, or to be fun to be in at all) your timer doesn't tick till you log back in and then respawn.

Anime Sword Fighter wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:57 pm
start the debuff timer when you die rather than respawn
As others have said, this is already the case and as far as I am aware has always been the case.

It ticks down faster if you're online, and slower if you're offline.

When you log back in the fugue, you'll respawn and you will have the penalties, but after a tick it'll recalculate and realize how much time you spent in the fugue and adjust accordingly. This usually means erasing the penalties entirely of course if you logged out there for awhile.

DM Rex

Post by DM Rex » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:40 am

The 'penalties' you get start ticking down the moment you die (it's really more like a cooldown timer of a sort). You can even log off there if you wanted. At most when you live you might have them for six minutes, one hourly tick for the system to recognize you've passed the elapsed time.

The reason why they don't appear in the death area is in the event you are revived that could very well bug out and you'd be stuck with them.

They've removed things like losing god-awful amounts of strength to allow you to drag yourself along post death even with debuffs.

Rocks fall everyone dies.