Skill Checks on Descriptions

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Polokko

Skill Checks on Descriptions

Post by Polokko » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:32 pm

First off, I love the sound of this update. Big thanks to msheeler. It's something I was thinking would be really cool just a few weeks ago too.

That being said, the forum post about it seems a little bit vague. I can't tell whether it's something players can add to fixture description, or something else entirely. I haven't tried in game, maybe it's very intuitive to use, but I don't have the faintest clue how I would go about trying to add it to a fixtures description. Could we have a little bit of clarity on the system put online please. :)

Shameless suggestion time. Is there any chance we could see this being added to other things in the future (I know it's new and would be a fair bit of work, I'm just hoping eventually). Most importantly creatures, but others too. It would help a lot with that tough mental debate of, 'does my character know what this thing is?', and more importantly let knowledgeable characters have access to what they should know, even when played by less knowledgeable players. It also would fit really well with where people use [lore 25], or [spot 15] in item and character descriptions. :)

Drowboy

Re: Skill Checks on Descriptions

Post by Drowboy » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:46 pm

I would genuinely hate if players got the ability to do this to their descs or to items. There's been enough metagaming vases that I'm sure I'm not the only person soured on the idea.

There's just no reason to expect this would be used responsibly, and it would just end up getting gated or removed.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:50 pm

This is dev-side only. Players cannot apply the variables that this system uses to any fixtures, created or otherwise. You can treat the announcement as a 'heads-up' for upcoming features you'll encounter in the world.

Player-written "skill checks" have never been a mechanically enforced thing.
(Though a DM can always chime in there.)

Done.

Polokko

Post by Polokko » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:53 pm

Ok thanks, safer from misuse then. :D Great update anyway, deepening roleplay.

I thought I should add, I did consider misuse too, but struggled to think of a situation where I think it could be misused.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:33 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:46 pm
I would genuinely hate if players got the ability to do this to their descs or to items. There's been enough metagaming vases that I'm sure I'm not the only person soured on the idea.

There's just no reason to expect this would be used responsibly, and it would just end up getting gated or removed.
This is one instance where I don't really see anything to be gained or lost, since players already have absolute control over their descriptions and the descriptions of items they create. They're already free to write stupid stuff and get slapped for it. I don't see how it could be used for metagaming in any way that doesn't already exist.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

DM Rex

Post by DM Rex » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:37 pm

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:50 pm
This is dev-side only. Players cannot apply the variables that this system uses to any fixtures, created or otherwise. You can treat the announcement as a 'heads-up' for upcoming features you'll encounter in the world.

Player-written "skill checks" have never been a mechanically enforced thing.
(Though a DM can always chime in there.)
Entirely correct.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:27 am

((Skill Check: Spot 100)) You now notice that this character is actually several goblins in a coat.

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:56 am

Hazard wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:27 am
((Skill Check: Spot 100)) You now notice that this character is actually several goblins in a coat.
Perfect.

As an aside, I know this isn't the intent of the system, but having a way to tell people what tells they pick up on when they break a disguise sounds like a super cool application here. I'd love to be able to give people something to actually play with when they manage it, rather than the slightly ungainly option of having it hidden at the bottom of the usual description. Open to abuse and ill-use of course, but no more than current player-set descriptions.

As it is, though, it's very cool. I like the promise of particular characters naturally having a bit more access to information in the world in their areas of expertise and/or the devs being able to happily populate the world with widely-believed (but factually incorrect) perceptions on things. If only so the 60-Lore ranger can slide his glasses up his nose, and quietly inform the rest of the party that That elk, in fact, has all the wrong smells, and is in fact a demon lord in disguise. I may be getting way ahead of myself here, but it's an exciting feature and I'm super glad to see it.