Mandatory big update Feedback thread #53

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Tarkus the dog

Mandatory big update Feedback thread #53

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:30 am

Hey so, couple of questions for the sake of clarity.
BLINDING SPEED: Remove Haste; add +1 attack, +50% move speed, +4 AC
Does that +1 attack mean 1 APR?

Does it ( the +4 ac included ) stack with haste?
ORIGINAL:
ECL Maj Min
+0 2 1
+1 1 1
+2 0 1
+3 0 0

NOW:
ECL Maj Min
+0 1 2
+1 1 1
+2 1 1
+3 0 1
There is an explanation to all of the changes except for this one?

Also, deep gnomes and drow are now stronger, for a reason or?
KNOCKDOWN: Change to a 12 second cooldown (6 seconds less) immunity and 50% move speed reduction for 1 (Save to prevent; discipline VS AB) if currently immune to knockdown.
1 what, round, turn?

Not criticizing the changes, just trying to understand them. Thanks in advance.

Xerah

Re: Mandatory big update Feedback thread #53

Post by Xerah » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 am

Blinding speed and haste have never stacked and continue not to stack (the code does not process if you do one while under the effect from the other).

It is just like haste expect not increased action speed, so still +1 attack per round.

The knockdown is missing 1r.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:34 am

Changes to Gifts is a massive shake up.

Seems cool.

Definitely targets MAD builds.

Will be watching.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:34 am

Xerah wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:32 am
Blinding speed and haste have never stacked and continue not to stack (the code does not process if you do one while under the effect from the other).

It is just like haste expect not increased action speed, so still +1 attack per round.

The knockdown is missing 1r.
That makes more sense, thanks.

Concern of archers having 3 flurries in the first attack removed.

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:23 am

Do you hear it? The sound of drow being fed into wood chippers and remade echos through the Underdark.

-delete_characters. -delete_characters in the Deep!

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:25 am

I understand that all races lost 1 major gift and got 2 minor gifts now except:

-races with +1 ECL which already accessed 1 major gift and that's unchanged.
-races with +2 ECL which got buffed from 0 major gifts to 1.

Is this correct first of all?

if it is, why? Its confusing.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Polokko

Post by Polokko » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:40 am

Drowble Oh Seven wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:23 am
Do you hear it? The sound of drow being fed into wood chippers and remade echos through the Underdark.

-delete_characters. -delete_characters in the Deep!
Exactly what I'm doing (after delevel). Going to be a good time to find a leveling party atleast.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:48 am

So, +4 wis drow healer clerics, huh?
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:58 am

Drowboy wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:48 am
So, +4 wis drow healer clerics, huh?
Or +4 int shadowmages?
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:00 am

Funnily enough, my healer cleric had just hit 15.

[Wood chipper noises.]

The ache of re-levelling aside, it'll be neat to have a bunch of people to do adventure RP with. It's a new (or, well, returned) character event. Sort-of. Looking forward to the chance to meet folks.

Barkoneus

Post by Barkoneus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:32 am

- Added a new merchant type - 'Outdoor Supplies' . These merchants sell resource gathering tools, shovels, some traps, fishing poles, limited ranger scrolls and new climbing equipment items. Currently they have been added at the Hearthhouse in Brogdenstein, and Jory's Lodge in the Base Camp. (These stores will not be live until the next reset)
Anybody know what this means for the current climbing rope and lasso? Should we trash those now, or are they still needed for the previously existing climbing scenarios, while the new climbing equipment is needed for the new ones? Would love to trim down on some of the weight I carry, the rope and lasso are heavy!

Aren

Post by Aren » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:41 am

Barkoneus wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:32 am
- Added a new merchant type - 'Outdoor Supplies' . These merchants sell resource gathering tools, shovels, some traps, fishing poles, limited ranger scrolls and new climbing equipment items. Currently they have been added at the Hearthhouse in Brogdenstein, and Jory's Lodge in the Base Camp. (These stores will not be live until the next reset)
Anybody know what this means for the current climbing rope and lasso? Should we trash those now, or are they still needed for the previously existing climbing scenarios, while the new climbing equipment is needed for the new ones? Would love to trim down on some of the weight I carry, the rope and lasso are heavy!
Rope can be enchanted with weight reduction, fyi. :)

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

Nevrus
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Nevrus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:07 am

If Blinding Speed is no longer haste does that mean that it now stacks with haste?
Ganus- Riding the Isle (Active)
Aura Bigstep - Got Out Ahead (Retired)
Egos Ironhide - Shelved
Consult a medical professional before believing anything Nevrus says.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:07 am

Nevrus wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:07 am
If Blinding Speed is no longer haste does that mean that it now stacks with haste?
No
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

wulfburk

Post by wulfburk » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:21 am

I feel ECL 2 shouldnt have been changed. Instead svirfs should have gained some drow-like specific gifts like trading 2 wisdom for 2 intelligence. Drows could have remained as is, and thus the races transfered to ECL 3 could have remained in ECL 2.

Stratonike Silvbriga
Archamus Schelen
Demetrius Herhtov

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:56 am

wulfburk wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:21 am
Drows could have remained as is, and thus the races transfered to ECL 3 could have remained in ECL 2.
The point was build and concept versatility.

I think. I actually have no idea, I didn't see that ECL nerf coming.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:33 am

Significant nerf to human superiority. This changes everything.

Nevrus

Post by Nevrus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:22 am

Poor half-elves are even worse off now.
Ganus- Riding the Isle (Active)
Aura Bigstep - Got Out Ahead (Retired)
Egos Ironhide - Shelved
Consult a medical professional before believing anything Nevrus says.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:58 am

Wouldn't it be better to have:

- If under the effect of Blinding Speed when using haste, make it haste until the effect finishes, then go back to Blinding Speed until that effect finishes.
- If under the effect of haste when Blinding Speed is used, continue haste effect until it finishes, then continue Blinding Speed effect.

There's no reason these shouldn't be able to work at the same time. I am NOT advocating for them to stack. I'm saying that they should override one another for their respective durations - like any other spell.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:00 am

I think it's very obvious that drow are now the kings of Arelith, doing basically everything better than every other race owing to the copious amounts of free stats they get. The other UD races are still super good.

Let's take duergar, for instance, and ignore the drow-shaped elephant in the room for a second -- they get +2 STR, poison/paralysis immunity, and an invis 1/day little widget, on top of the default dwarf stats. In exchange they take another penalty to a dump stat that was never going to see any use anyway, so they were a pretty strong pick. Previously, they also paid some price in flexibility, where they compared to dwarves also "had to take a STR gift," more or less.

Well, now, that disadvantage is gone. Duergar are just better in every conceivable way than shield dwarves. I don't think this is a healthy model -- and I don't think the answer is "nerf all the other races 2 months from now" as I'm... really hoping it won't be.

Orogs were quite a good race previously for STR based div builds like blackguard, with great racials, and a selection of useful craftables. Now they are THE str-based div build race, far and away outstripping anything else, with a ludicrous stat bonus array of +4 strength and +2 charisma. And a bonus pre-req feat for div might/shield. Compare that to a human, who is feat equivalent, and gets one +2 gift. One skill is not worth that trade-off at all.

Drow are insane now, and need to see some scaling back; the melee-magthere/gift of clergy gifts have got to go, then I think they'll be quite a strong, viable race pick, with the caveat of "as long as the rest of the 0 ECL races keep their 2 gifts." Which, currently, they do not.

I don't know if this was a good move at all. Even non-MAD builds have eaten a really raw deal with this; mages no longer get their CON gift and go from "low-mid 400s" to "high 300s-low 400s" as a HP range, and God knows mages did not need another nerf. Battleclerics lost an AB. Monks have ceased to function, basically, now being forced to choose between whether they want epic dodge or qualifying for their improved ki-strike feats; considering that these are both only recently options for a deep-level monk without lots of multiclassing (or in ki-strike case, it just was never useful prior) this more or less invalidates the most recent monk rework, which I thought actually put them in a fairly satisfying place mechanically for the first time on Arelith, ever.

Also, half-orcs are back in their old spot in the "worst race in the game" gulag. Even half-elves are better. Which makes me very sad, since anyone who knows me knows that I love them.

Ironically, a race which could not really do monk very effectively prior to this update, drow, is now the best choice for a monk.

Now, I by no means think this update is entirely flawed: there is a lot of good in here, but the stuff I disagree with is just so prominent I felt it necessary to address that first.
-I love the blinding speed change.
-The KD buff was great.
-Thank God for the wild elf nerf, I think I would go ballistic if I saw another pale-skinned fair-haired wild elf who was raised by humans.
-Ranger/monk quarterstaff builds needed to feel a bit of pain, so I think scaling that down was a good idea.
-Gift of Humility encourages "rollbait" which is objectively stupid and unhealthy. I am not going to miss it.
-Outcasts & slaves did not need to be gated by award, so I'm glad that they're back.
-In some cases I like that 2 ECL races can now choose a gift, like gnolls and to a lesser extent troglodytes were always to my mind suboptimal race picks; now they are actually pretty competitive, the fact that everyone else has eaten a huge nerf notwithstanding.

EDIT: In a perfect world, this would be my [more succinctly written] preference for "fixed things":
drow lose the melee magthere/gift of clergy gift
0 ecl races can take 2 gifts again
...that's all.
Last edited by strong yeet on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:02 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:34 am
Changes to Gifts is a massive shake up.

Seems cool.

Definitely targets MAD builds.

Will be watching.
The only massive shakeup is that you build all of those as drow now.

Monk? Drow.
Spellsword? Drow.
Abj paladin? Drow.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:13 am

I feel slower with blinding speed on atm

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 am

Well said, strong yeet.

If I may also add that gnomes having the potential of being 42 DC implosion Gods might be unhealthy for the server.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:57 am

I, for one, welcome our new Drow overlords. :twisted:

TooManyPotatoes

Post by TooManyPotatoes » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:57 am

I wish to also echo strong yeet, as do most people im hearing from. Good post.