Skill Implimentation vs Gear Counterpart(Climbing Gear/Check/skill)

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

HoneyMead
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Skill Implimentation vs Gear Counterpart(Climbing Gear/Check/skill)

Post by HoneyMead » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:09 pm

Why implement a skill that hinders people, if your just going to place a NPC next to that skill check (Brog/Spires(basecamp) that nullifies the implementation of said skill?

I'm finding it hard to understand the exsistance of the skill itself and how it's nulified itself from being needed in a later update?

Correct me if i'm wrong but:

Do climbing ropes not help those who can't climb already?

(sorry if this seems rude, i'm just trying to understand the thoughts behind this.)
“It was sad music. But it waved its sadness like a battle flag. It said the universe had done all it could, but you were still alive.” ― Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Skill Implimentation vs Gear Counterpart(Climbing Gear/Check/skill)

Post by Irongron » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:23 pm

HoneyMead wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:09 pm
Why implement a skill that hinders people, if your just going to place a NPC next to that skill check (Brog/Spires(basecamp) that nullifies the implementation of said skill?

I'm finding it hard to understand the exsistance of the skill itself and how it's nulified itself from being needed in a later update?

Correct me if i'm wrong but:

Do climbing ropes not help those who can't climb already?

(sorry if this seems rude, i'm just trying to understand the thoughts behind this.)
As I stated a few times already; previously there was no way to improve climb - it was based on mostly static aspects of the character sheet. You could either make a climb, or you couldn't - it couldn't be trained, and you couldn't learn to be better at it.

Now you can.

Those that were negatively affected by this were those classes that could gain +1 per level, or automatically succeed due to race, whereas everyone else now had a means to pass checks that they could not previously, either by investing in ranks, or using climbing gear.

As we add more climb points throughout the module there will some extremely hard routes among them, and plenty of average. The climbing equipment is quite burdensome, easier to have the ranks, but in a pinch? Now those characters that could not climb, can.

HoneyMead

Re: Skill Implimentation vs Gear Counterpart(Climbing Gear/Check/skill)

Post by HoneyMead » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:34 pm

Thanks for replying, it's nice to have an idea of the thought process.
“It was sad music. But it waved its sadness like a battle flag. It said the universe had done all it could, but you were still alive.” ― Terry Pratchett, Soul Music