Drow Shadow Mages & Vhaeraun

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

gesseritt
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Drow Shadow Mages & Vhaeraun

Post by gesseritt » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:04 pm

Vhaeraun is the patron and deity of Drow shadow mages, which is on particular display in Sshamath. Shadow mage followers of both Vhaeraun and Shar also work together like the two deities do on shadow magic projects despite Shar's ownership of the Shadow Weave. This would strongly suggest that Vhaeraun is able to give his arcanist followers access to the Shadow Weave through his relationship with Shar.

I'm wondering if there has been any thought given to allowing Drow shadow mages to worship Vhaeraun as their primary deity instead of Shar mechanically? Or is this at least allowed lore- and RP-wise if your character has Shar selected?
Last edited by gesseritt on Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Discord: gesseritt#9934

Maladus

Re: Drow Shadow Mages & Vhaeraun

Post by Maladus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:01 pm

Even though I don’t play a Drow Shadow Mage, I would like to see this as an option for Shadow Mages. To me it makes sense from a lore perspective and would invite more Vhaerunites.

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:26 pm

It's a very good point that I hope (if possible) gets considered.

Curve

Post by Curve » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:37 pm

You can make Shar your 1st diety, and Vhaeraun your 2nd/aspect/whatever. Seems like an easy RP consideration considering that the shadow weave is shar's baby.

As to your link, is that 4th or 5th ed stuff? In my limited knowledge of 2nd and 3rd the Shadow Weave is exclusivly a Sharran thing that her clergy go around killing to keep a secret.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:12 pm

Underdark, page 175, published 2003, references this college.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:03 pm

Seconded.

deserk

Post by deserk » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:28 pm

Thirded. This would be a cool option.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:33 pm

Would be really happy to see this change! :)

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:58 pm

In general Shadow Magic in forgotten realms is open to theoretically everyone. It is no longer a secret so it'd be nice to see it available.

There /is/ an approved project to basically make the Shadow Weave / Shadow Adept and all of that. But I can't really speak on that at all - but I also think it'd be really cool if a small consideration was taken so people can have their patron be whatever so it's more accurate to the lore.
🤡

gesseritt
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by gesseritt » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:26 am

Curve wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:37 pm
You can make Shar your 1st diety, and Vhaeraun your 2nd/aspect/whatever. Seems like an easy RP consideration considering that the shadow weave is shar's baby.
Mechanically, to get "attuned" to Vhaeraun as your second deity you have to find a consecrated altar. That's not as easy as you would think in Andunor, where Lolthites are still the most popular religion among the Drow.

Happy to see that other people agree with me on this! I'm not sure about opening up the shadow weave to followers of any deity, but at least Vhaeraun and maybe there are some other deities who have shadow mage followers that we are overlooking? Mask, perhaps?
Discord: gesseritt#9934

BHR55
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BHR55 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:12 am

There ARE other places to find said altars, just have to FOIG. It's not that difficult if you look, especially as a shadowmage.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:56 am

Tbh it'd be great to see this more available, outside of just Shar. Fits with the lore, I'm not sure why it hasn't always been this way.

Polokko

Post by Polokko » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:33 am

I asked the DM's this last year, and Spyre told being an Arelith shadow mage requires exclusive Shar worshipping. I don't know if things have changed since then, but I would recommend not planning a concept involving a different religion unless you get permission for it.

skellyboi
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by skellyboi » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:38 am

I think, if this isn't a thing already with aspects, this should be. There's really no reason for it to be restricted to Shar only. I briefly played a Vhaeraunite shadow mage for a while, and encountered no issues, IC or out, and it was discussed with a DM prior, albeit without official ruling.

I say make it official.