Arcane Archer, Imbue Arrow, and Streams

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.
Sadrithos

Arcane Archer, Imbue Arrow, and Streams

Post by Sadrithos » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:10 pm

So, the feat says we are imbuing it with "an element" but the only option is fireball. originally thats whatever, nwn doesnt have streams, but we do. I propose that AA be able to use streams to modify the effect of their imbued arrow to cover the other elements.

This is very early concept stage idea for me but maybe like

Air : Some Lightning spell, maybe chain?
Fire: As normal, maybe make it more powerful? or just unable to change back without the book
Water: Ice dagger appearance and maybe does slow?
Earth: ??? Earthquake?

I just think its weird that the class specifically with the power to imbue elements into its arrows...cant.

Alternate idea would be something like, scrap that system and arcane archers apply the stream selected element in addition to whatever else is on their arrows? Like a bonus template slot they fill by selecting a stream to use?

Thoughts? Alternate suggestions? It would obviously need balanced, and this is just an early morning coffee thought on my end, so what does everyone think?
Current Characters:
Galen Gallows, Burden of Heartwood.
Rauverie La'Fane, #1 Dad.

Barkoneus

Re: Arcane Archer, Imbue Arrow, and Streams

Post by Barkoneus » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:23 pm

I like the idea if for no other reason than to give some variety and flavor to arcane archers.

I won't pretend to guess about how easy it would be implement and/or balance, but Ice Storm looks like another good possibility in terms of being similar to Fireball.

Sadrithos

Re: Arcane Archer, Imbue Arrow, and Streams

Post by Sadrithos » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:58 pm

Could either keep the damage the same and just swap elements and visual effect, or just give it varied effects based on the stream used with some more damage and some being more utility.
Current Characters:
Galen Gallows, Burden of Heartwood.
Rauverie La'Fane, #1 Dad.