We all know it, but we don't talk about it.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Jencent

We all know it, but we don't talk about it.

Post by Jencent » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:20 am

Orclands... Yes, i wanna to talk with you about this damn Orclands. Huge chunk of EXP with easy-peasy mobs. Low RP before smash somebody to kick him out from profit place.

And also... Can we already fix geo of castle? If you don't bash all doors inside you will be STUCK in suffering of eternal invisible walls.
Summons everytime with broken pathfinder just stays in the doors with no clue what to do.
Characters Status:
Jencent b'Ack - Got lost in the shadow plane & Died by unknown disease..
Angwil Bronzehand - Kickin and Screaming & Alive.
Waiting for Skeletons as playable race.
DM Butterfly wrote:You're an abomination of nature and balance

NPC Logger Number 2

Re: We all know it, but we don't talk about it.

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:54 am

The Endless Battlefield with all the undead has a similar issue to Orclands. Everyone goes there because it is easy XP and then they end up PVPing over who gets to grind there. I never go to either of those places anymore. I don't mind PVP and don't mind losing even, but the chance of running into PVP in those places is just so high I just prefer to avoid them. Even if you don't get into PVP you're going to eventually have a party of 10 people which defeats the point of grinding there to begin with.
“The punishing of wits enhances their authority.”
Francis Bacon

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:01 am

As far as I'm aware pvp has to have an ic reason. If it is ooc motivated it should be reported.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:16 am

Depending on the character, eliminating competition in order to keep all the loot can be considered a valid IC reason.

It's not very nice OOC, but very often the alternative can be Banites teaming up with paladins, which can be just as awkward.

And I agree, the Orclands seem to be overflowing with adventurers in a borderline baffling manner atm. - sometimes you can see up to 2-3 separate adventuring parties grinding there simmultaneously
in.
every.
single.
area.

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:26 am

Meanwhile I'm soloing dungeons that are too hard for most groups just to avoid the crowds. Social Distancing 100.
Francis Bacon

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:30 am

NPC Logger Number 2 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:26 am
Meanwhile I'm soloing dungeons that are too hard for most groups just to avoid the crowds. Social Distancing 100.
GitGud in 2020 :D

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:31 am

Or buff the XP of other zones. Don't need to make leveling more annoying by nerfing the good spots.

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:41 am

Personally I don't see anything wrong with having a couple of highly contested grind spots where players are likely to meet and RP/PVP. There are other good spots to grind. The only real issue is that writs send lower level characters to these areas and they get stomped by a bunch of mid-epics. If these areas were only used for writs that'd be fine, if these areas were only designated grind spots/PVP battlegrounds for mid-epics that'd be fine, but having these areas serve as both will definitely lead to situations where players feel they were unfairly stepped on for OOC reasons.
Francis Bacon

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:16 pm

ReverentBlade wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:31 am
Or buff the XP of other zones. Don't need to make leveling more annoying by nerfing the good spots.
I, for one, support this message.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:23 pm

The orclands are absolutely disgusting and mind numbing, it is on part with the old Forest of Despair circle grind, except you can start at level 16 and it takes you all the way to level 30. Worse than it leading to PvP (which it happens and is a terrible reason) is the RP compromises you see people do just for the sake of ease of leveling.

Have it be impossible to escape the fortress, if you go in, the only way to go out is to fight through the dungeon.

Edit: To make it clear, the issue isn't really the exp, but more than you can repeatedly go between to adjacent zones.

Curve

Post by Curve » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:14 pm

This is not so much a problem with the Orclands, but a culture problem on Arelith. People generally have it in their heads that there is PvE time when nothing really matters and then there is RP time when you actually play your character. I took a break from Arelith for a few months and coming back it is staggering to me how much I see this mentality play out. People non-stop running through PvE content, not speaking or emoting, just walking away from people if they are speaking or emoting, and general avatar behavior (*sighs,* looks like the desert is busy again).

I reached out to one of the very few people I speak to OOC and asked if people are able to maintain their RPR of 30 and 40 while legit run grinding and they told me that this is generally accepted behavior and DMs do not come down on people about it. That the idea is just act like a goof ball until you hit level 30 and then you can start being a serious roleplayer.

I know this is just mine, and my friend's experience, but the more I play the more I see this behavior. I don't know how to shift the culture as a player other than to keep on keeping on, pausing to emote and to speak, to make stands even if it means I don't get to grind in the most optimal place tonight. As to the DM side, I really think when people are run grinding or meme-ing they should have their RPR dropped.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:41 pm

Curve wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:14 pm
This is not so much a problem with the Orclands, but a culture problem on Arelith. People generally have it in their heads that there is PvE time when nothing really matters and then there is RP time when you actually play your character. I took a break from Arelith for a few months and coming back it is staggering to me how much I see this mentality play out. People non-stop running through PvE content, not speaking or emoting, just walking away from people if they are speaking or emoting, and general avatar behavior (*sighs,* looks like the desert is busy again).

I reached out to one of the very few people I speak to OOC and asked if people are able to maintain their RPR of 30 and 40 while legit run grinding and they told me that this is generally accepted behavior and DMs do not come down on people about it. That the idea is just act like a goof ball until you hit level 30 and then you can start being a serious roleplayer.

I know this is just mine, and my friend's experience, but the more I play the more I see this behavior. I don't know how to shift the culture as a player other than to keep on keeping on, pausing to emote and to speak, to make stands even if it means I don't get to grind in the most optimal place tonight. As to the DM side, I really think when people are run grinding or meme-ing they should have their RPR dropped.
This is also my experience. It has become very common. I'm not a DM. There's only so much I can do to try and get people interested in a story or improving roleplay. If they don't want to, they don't want to.

Running, at times, is totally fine to me. Maybe you're in a rush IC/OOC (gotta log, or you gotta get back to town because you got a speedy!). Maybe it's too dangerous to stay still because you're somewhere you shouldn't be. Maybe you're just trying to survive to the end before your very important wards fall off! .. But 'running' isn't the problem here.

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:04 pm

Curve wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:14 pm

I could not agree more with this posts sentiment. As with other hot-button issues that I won't dive into for falling off topic. Server-culture is usually the issue where mechanics are being highlighted as what needs to change. Changing mechanics will generally not address the real underlying issues.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Won't "fixing orclands" just lead to a grind in another place? At least this creates some chance encounters and interactions in the field.

If people choose not to RP, that is a cultural issue.

Curve

Post by Curve » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:32 pm

Hazard wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:41 pm
Running, at times, is totally fine to me. Maybe you're in a rush IC/OOC (gotta log, or you gotta get back to town because you got a speedy!). Maybe it's too dangerous to stay still because you're somewhere you shouldn't be. Maybe you're just trying to survive to the end before your very important wards fall off! .. But 'running' isn't the problem here.
Of course I am not saying that running when it is appropriate should stop. What I am saying that running when it is silly to, or running so much that it is silly does contribute to the above stated problems.

DM Rex

Post by DM Rex » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:52 pm

The suggestion threads are now open, this isn't in the form of one.
PVP is permitted on Arelith, and rules are in place to ensure it's not just a 'smash and grab'.
If there is a specific issue to report, send it to the Active DM Team. But any area can draw in a potential for PVP, popularity of a location is one such reason.

The thread will be locked as this doesn't really offer any solutions, it's a space to vent. And there is a player on each side of any conflict. Our rules are in place so that fair combat can take place, between players, at any time, for just about any reason.