Stoneskin, Barkskin, Shadowshield & -Cover?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

gesseritt
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Stoneskin, Barkskin, Shadowshield & -Cover?

Post by gesseritt » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:57 am

Sorry if this topic has already been broached, but has any thought been given to having Stoneskin, Barkskin and Shadowshield count toward making a character covered? It has always seemed odd to me that someone--at least mechanically--could recognize a character with those spells on.
Discord: gesseritt#9934

AstralUniverse

Re: Stoneskin, Barkskin, Shadowshield & -Cover?

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:18 am

Well, barkskin has no visual anymore but it makes sense that stoneskin and shadowshield would count as fully covered.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:12 pm

I don't think stoneskin or shadowshield should be considered cover. Your features would still be visible so it doesn't hide identity or racial features unless those are already covered. Skin tone... I guess, but those spells don't take the place of a hood or helmet.

That said I think epic illusionists should have the ability to cover themselves at will.

gesseritt
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by gesseritt » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Gouge Away wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:12 pm
I don't think stoneskin or shadowshield should be considered cover. Your features would still be visible so it doesn't hide identity or racial features unless those are already covered. Skin tone... I guess, but those spells don't take the place of a hood or helmet.

That said I think epic illusionists should have the ability to cover themselves at will.
For Drow, skin color getting concealed by stoneskin or shadowshield does make a difference.

Wouldn't mind that feature for epic illusionists, either!

KeldonDonovans

Post by KeldonDonovans » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:10 pm

Gouge Away wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:12 pm
Your features would still be visible so it doesn't hide identity or racial features unless those are already covered.
I have to agree with this. It'd be like not recognizing a statue of someone you knew simply because it was a statue. That said, I do have to also agree with:
gesseritt wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:28 pm
For Drow, skin color getting concealed by stoneskin or shadowshield does make a difference.
So perhaps just some sort of racial equalizer on examining creatures that are under the effects of stoneskin or shadowshield? All varieties of elf, including drow, say "elf" if on the surface, "drow" while in the underdark and under effect of a skin altering spell? We could just say "elf" all the time, but I think it would be cool if surfacers were able to pass as drow as well-that side of the coin is rarely looked at. Maybe having these spells up would also prevent the autokill scripts? IDK, just tossing ideas out.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:47 am

okay so maybe... (and this might be a waste of time to code) under the effect of these spells, along with camouflage spells, a PC would only need the helmet slot to be covered to count as fully covered.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

CNS

Post by CNS » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:02 am

For what its worth, per pen and paper canon stoneskin says nothing about actually applying a layer of stone over your skin. It just makes you resistant to cuts, blows, stabs and slashes.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:30 pm

Cover is already bad enough without adding more things to force a massive Spot investment.

gesseritt
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by gesseritt » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:21 pm

CNS wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:02 am
For what its worth, per pen and paper canon stoneskin says nothing about actually applying a layer of stone over your skin. It just makes you resistant to cuts, blows, stabs and slashes.
Maybe the VFX should be removed then?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:13 pm

gesseritt wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:21 pm
CNS wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:02 am
Maybe the VFX should be removed then?
It was at one point, but was brought back so that people more easily know when stoneskin is gone and needs to be recast.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain