Epic Illusion Ideas

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

sarithia

Epic Illusion Ideas

Post by sarithia » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:40 am

I was originally just going to submit this to the suggestion thread, but figured I'd open this up here instead.

For a short amount of time, perhaps, the caster - with epic illusion - is granted the ability to conceal ones self based on subjects they've studied that are similar to their height, etc. So say I'm a drow and I want to go cause some chaos in Cordor or Sencliff, boom! Captured human? No problem. Study their form - I have no idea how this would work mechanically, but I don't imagine or expect it'd be an easy process - and boom! I can adopt the shape of a human. Naturally, people with epic illusion - much like the illusion system in itself at present - can see through these guises. I'd suggest adding a system that would take heights into consideration, like a hin trying to disguise as an ogre is a little out there, but that might just make it even more awkward I imagine.

Alternatively, a simpler version could be a 'mimic' type deal similar to how 'create clone' works. The person in question needs to be face to face with the PC and with a click command, they can imitate the way that PC looks, again, for a short amount of time.
I see this as someone captured a Cordorian official or something and causes a little havoc through this. Combined with a high enough bluff, I think this could be interesting. Alternatively, it could also cause problems if a troll enters the midsts which I'm very much aware of.

In my naivety I imagine it would open up a lot of cool avenues for subterfuge RP and student/teacher in the illusion school.

Sidenote: I know nothing about scripting, and this idea is purely roleplay based, with no intention to add to build mechanics and the like whatsoever.

Greivern Elisbrinn [Active]
Yaen Oakenshade [We'll see]
Anakhsun Emeratu [Shelved]
Jihael [Dead]
Nhil [Inactive]

Ninjimmy

Re: Epic Illusion Ideas

Post by Ninjimmy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:51 am

Just want to add, using Epic Illusion to copy and disguise as another character sounds like it could be super fun for RP shenanigans. Impersonate the leader of a settlement and watch the fireworks, attempt to spy on a meeting. Maybe have it broken by Truesight or something but would make disguise as another character a possibility.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:05 pm

The ability to (for a duration?) alter skin and hair color would be cool.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

sarithia

Post by sarithia » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:07 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:05 pm
The ability to (for a duration?) alter skin and hair color would be cool.
I didn't even think of this. This actually would be awesome, something as simple as changing cosmetics.

Greivern Elisbrinn [Active]
Yaen Oakenshade [We'll see]
Anakhsun Emeratu [Shelved]
Jihael [Dead]
Nhil [Inactive]

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Bunnysmack » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:35 pm

Similar to how with epic abjuration you can only summon one -ward OR one -ward_teleport per rest, and a use of either grays-out both abilities, I think that would be the best way to implement this ability. Can make an external clone OR doppelganger someone else, but I love this idea overall.

I'm also not much of a scripter, but I /think/ this would be relatively easy to implement in the way that the copying formatting for ESF Illusion is already employed. After all, with that, the initial clone comes out looking like the caster, and a moment later transforms into whatever the target of the ability is. It still has all the equipment and character stats of the caster, but looks entirely different.

Additionally, this could look pretty surprising and dramatic when the person in front of the party, that looks like a barbarian, suddenly stops time :lol:
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:50 am

Bunnysmack wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:35 pm
Similar to how with epic abjuration you can only summon one -ward OR one -ward_teleport per rest, and a use of either grays-out both abilities, I think that would be the best way to implement this ability. Can make an external clone OR doppelganger someone else, but I love this idea overall.
I think this or any other illusion ability should just be at-will since there's not really any use in PVP, it's almost always going to be for RP. If you want to spend the 5 component charges to make a second illusion you shouldn't have to rest to do so.

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:04 am

I'd like to see ESF: Illusion have added effects for -disguise.