Respawn debuffs

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Wethrinea

Respawn debuffs

Post by Wethrinea » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:40 pm

I understand that one does not want people to jump back into conflict or dungeoneering right after respawning, but imposing crippling penalties for 90 minutes is a tad excessive. That is often my entire alloted gaming time through a day, and while chats in the tavern can be fun, it is not my primary motivation to play NwN.

Is there a reason why the recovery time could not be cut back to say, 30 minutes?
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

Gouge Away

Re: Respawn debuffs

Post by Gouge Away » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:05 pm

In my experience once you know the game pretty well most PVE death comes from stuff like lag spikes, crashes (many times I've been fully warded with a party in a dungeon, crash, return and you're unbuffed and alone and instantly mauled) and similar bugginess outside your control. It's not too often that it's from overextending yourself soloing a dungeon. I'm not saying that to brag, I'm an average player at best, but it seems to happen from outside forces more than my own stupid decisions and maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing if PVE death penalties were shortened.

Also seems like getting rid of them could be a decent gold sink. Die and want to get up and running again? Fine, but you have to donate 1000 coins/level at an altar to clear the penalties.

PVP penalties should probably remain as is to discourage playing that character again for a while though.

KeldonDonovans

Post by KeldonDonovans » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:26 pm

As someone with limited playtime, I have to agree that it kind of sucks when I hop on for an hour as a specific character, only to be killed due to some awkwardness (like area transitioning into a horde of creatures, or a lag spike killing the effectiveness of my summons, silly things like that) and have it kill the whole gaming session along with it. I generally take a five minute penalty in the death area, then log off and play as someone else. Maybe, at the very least, the timer could start at the moment of death, not the moment of respawn? Obviously you'd have to remove the timer/debuffs if the player got raised, but this would make it so that a player could log off to wait out the respawner, without being penalized five minutes to respawn.

goblinhero
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by goblinhero » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:26 am

KeldonDonovans wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:26 pm
Maybe, at the very least, the timer could start at the moment of death, not the moment of respawn?
It already works that way :). The timer -does- go down slightly faster if you are online during the sickness, though.

KeldonDonovans

Post by KeldonDonovans » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:56 am

goblinhero wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:26 am
It already works that way . The timer -does- go down slightly faster if you are online during the sickness, though.
Must have been a glitch then. I logged off upon death once, logged back in the following day, respawned, and had penalties for half an hour. It was such a precise amount of time I assumed it started on respawn.