Divinity element combinations discussion

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

KeldonDonovans

Divinity element combinations discussion

Post by KeldonDonovans » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:07 pm

As per the suggestion in here the idea is to get a bunch of elemental interactions going. I figured I'd post this here so that people could discuss the way they think certain elements would help (or hinder) certain other elements. The ones specifically listed in the suggestion are:

1.) Water increasing electric damage (or penalizing wet character's save vs the electric damage)

2.) Grease being susceptible to fire, ending the spell prematurely with an intensified blaze.

Drowboy

Re: Divinity element combinations discussion

Post by Drowboy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:46 pm

been playing bg3 huh

Aenea had a feat that let you do something like this, back when Aenea existed: http://www.amethyst-dragon.com/nwn/feat ... tunist.htm

Probably simpler (just a dc tweak or some extra damage) than what you mean/what BG has tho.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

KeldonDonovans

Post by KeldonDonovans » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:50 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:46 pm
been playing bg3 huh

Aenea had a feat that let you do something like this, back when Aenea existed: http://www.amethyst-dragon.com/nwn/feat ... tunist.htm

Probably simpler (just a dc tweak or some extra damage) than what you mean/what BG has tho.
Haven't actually tried it yet, word on the street is the multiplayer is broken. But I played the hell out of Divinity 1&2, then IC I tossed a fireball at an underdark poison cloud (the ones that come off the mushrooms) to "burn off the poison", and it got me thinking. So here we are!

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:23 pm

It's be interesting, but it seems like something that would really need to be included from the ground up, since nwn doesn't have the environmental/elemental statuses that make it possible in the Larian games. Would be, at the very least, a massive project and huge rebalancing.

The only way I could see this working on Arelith would be in a very scaled-back form where multiple elemental effects on the same weapon have some sort of combo.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

KeldonDonovans

Post by KeldonDonovans » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:12 am

Baron Saturday wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:23 pm
It's be interesting, but it seems like something that would really need to be included from the ground up, since nwn doesn't have the environmental/elemental statuses that make it possible in the Larian games. Would be, at the very least, a massive project and huge rebalancing.

The only way I could see this working on Arelith would be in a very scaled-back form where multiple elemental effects on the same weapon have some sort of combo.
Oh yeah, it would definitely be a massive undertaking. That's why the suggestion has (a lot of work) in the title, or something along those lines. The only way I had considered doing it (with my admittedly limited understanding of NWN scripting) would be to add the effects to the script of each spell in question. So, like in the above grease example, you'd have to go to fireball, and add a part to the script that checks for some conditions (like grease) and then does the effect (like extra damage, reduced reflex save, whatever balance says) then do the same thing with flame arrow, burning hands, etc. etc. etc.

Assuming there isn't an easier way to do it, it -would- be massive. But, bright side, if that is the way it is implemented, it could be done in parts. You don't need to do 1,000 hours worth of work all at once to implement it. You got ten minutes, you could toss it on a few spells, and move on.

But there is some kind of way of telling about the effects, because Gust of Wind already clears poison clouds, we make saves when we walk into grease, that kind of stuff. I just don't know exactly how that all works.