Why someone should enchant in a Forge

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

hmm

Why someone should enchant in a Forge

Post by hmm » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:13 am

The goblin shaman would place a helmet into the camp-fire,
and cast a spell. when the helmet is removed, it will be magical in nature.
(This is the roleplay used for enchanting a helmet)

When a blacksmith takes a blade to the Furnace, he would reforge the blade
to be Sharper.
(This is the roleplay used for keening a bade in the forge)
I think the new change takes Roleplay out of the roleplay server.

Curve

Re: Why someone should enchant in a Forge

Post by Curve » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 am

I liked it before. I don’t know the reason it was changed.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:55 am

What change are we talking about because I am sure confused.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:01 am

Archnon wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:55 am
What change are we talking about because I am sure confused.
It used to be that you could put enchantments on items at any crafting fixture. Since the Dweomercrafting change, you can only do it at basins. It's a return to how things used to be, before FL inspired that change on Arelith, but like others I don't see why it was removed. It was great QoL and not immersion breaking in any way.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:01 am

I think it was removed to give a purpose back to enchantment basins. What I'd suggest is that an item could only be enchanted in the crafting station of it's type and basin, or basin only if it's not a craftable item. This way we get to 'forge' as blacksmithes but we cant forge cloaks and there is plenty of purpose for basins.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:05 am

Could we at least get to change ownership, name, and descriptions of items in crafting stations? It's silly that the food ration can't be changed in an oven but requires a basin. Kind of spoils the food to drop it in there, actually. 🤔

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:51 pm

What a sad change. :<

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:45 pm

I had a commoner who was a T3. It seemed insane that she could magically enchant so I rped it out as her learning to read and mark elven runes. I put a point into each and every craft so that I could use whatever station made sense for the piece.... I won't go into deeper detail BUT I will say that its a sad change that this isn't possible any more for several reasons. Not sure what this change was meant to do. Basins still fill their fixture role.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:46 pm

I made a suggestion. Maybe it will be approved or we'll understand why it was changed to what it is now.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:45 pm

Is this a new change? Was it posted on the forms or just discord?

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:22 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:05 am
Could we at least get to change ownership, name, and descriptions of items in crafting stations? It's silly that the food ration can't be changed in an oven but requires a basin. Kind of spoils the food to drop it in there, actually. 🤔
i change food names and descript all the time in cooking stations, of course you have to actually make the food, where as purchased needs a basin to take posession
Yes I can sign

WJLIII3

Post by WJLIII3 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:34 pm

I think this change was very poorly informed. A few people enchanting their helmets in cookpots was too unrealistic, so now everyone will be using enchanting basins to rename their books, and no smith can ever enchant at a forge?

Was it actually "to give enchanting basins a purpose?" because they definitely already had one. They need one fewer keystroke per enchant. Nobody in their right mind does any serious enchanting in a workstation. Maybe a single property, far, FAR more likely they're Taking Possession and editing the descriptions. Something they should use a workstation to do! With this change, a tailor who wants to adjust the appearance of a robe... has to submerge it in the enchanting basin. A smith who wants to put his mark on a weapon... has to immerse it in the enchanting basin. it's ridiculous. Using workstations was a wonderful, thematic, immersive change, and I can't imagine why the team would go back on it.

It was wonderful to feel like a real magical item artisan, whose handiwork could create a magic item, and its very unpleasant to go back to "making a pre-established item and then basining it." It feels decisively like a step backwards.

Was the intention realism? Because this is less realistic.
Was it QoL? Because this is less quality.

Making a real enchanted item takes a basin, and in fact, a module basin is the real sweet spot, because they cut yet another keystroke off per enchant. No one would ever stop using them.
Last edited by WJLIII3 on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WJLIII3

Post by WJLIII3 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Archnon wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:45 pm
Is this a new change? Was it posted on the forms or just discord?
As far as I can tell, it was posted neither on the Discord, nor the forum. But its certainly true.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:32 pm

i have to go soak my travel rations in the enchantment basin before i can rename them to something cute

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:55 pm

I felt mitigated about this change ...

I used craft stations a lot.
And I used the basins.

I imagine two reasons for this change :
1. practical, as the change has made the crafting stations interface more clear and less long
2. rule enforcement, as it's somewhat harder (even impossible ?) to rename/edit description on items one hasn't made/enchanted.

The very sad part is I sometime can't even change name/item description of an item I crafted ... Maybe because I have put the item in a container or a shop in the meantime ... either way, very sad.

What I appreciated the most in this change is the added possibility to edit description from a pin. This, for someone who provide a lot of personalized wares intended for the shops, was a real blessing! :)

In any case, a clarification at what was intended with this change by our beloved staff would be much appreciated ;-)

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:29 am

Thoughts: Have your goon friends guard the basin in the Hub and force people to pay a fee in order to use it.