New 'UDer only' fixture discussion

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Skane

New 'UDer only' fixture discussion

Post by Skane » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:40 pm

With the advent of fixtures only craffable by UDers, further limiting it beyond just needing the craft skill; I thought it was worth discussing. I myself am not a fan of it, any race can craft stone to look a certain way and I personally don't like limiting player creativity specifically by preventing them from crafting something that lacks mechanical effects such as a weapon.
Gods can we just remove magic already?

Xerah

Re: New 'UDer only' fixture discussion

Post by Xerah » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:42 pm

I think it's pretty cool to have these limited and unique crafts.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:47 pm

Makes sense to me. Underdark IKEA only prints instructions in Xanalress.

I hope there are more racially restricted furnishings to come.. It would be cool if elf, hin and dwarves had unique recipes.

Talvenlapsi

Post by Talvenlapsi » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:53 pm

I do not genuinely like that, haha. Mostly because they look far better than surface fixtures and I don't genuinely believe fixtures are the thing to call restrictions on.
Well, I guess waiting for Surface-Only forging fixtures, so my forging character can actually make nice looking tables finally to go with the granite chairs :F (Can we have white marble chairs and tables for Surfacers only?)
You need the Dark in order to show the Light.
- Left the Isle: Sabre Brightburst, Liberty, Lila Havenfall, Lillaniarin Dragonsbane, Avidelra Aza'Athreen, Hexflaerin Amav'fer, Eclipse Silverbane

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:01 pm

I think anything that encourages trade between cities is good and can lead to RP.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:14 pm

Sounds like an excellent perk to add to the loremasters crafting secret that's both thematic and not powerful.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:24 pm

DangerDolphin wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:01 pm
I think anything that encourages trade between cities is good and can lead to RP.
100% agree with this. More trade!

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Skane

Post by Skane » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:29 pm

I don't forsee this creating more trade RP, certainly no contraband RP. People will want the shiny new nice looking fixtures, there are enough mechanical 'UD' races on the surface that they can simply be made by them.

Even then there are resources that only spawn in the UD and Vice Versa, if trade RP was to be generated that would already have caused it in my opinion.

Racially locking a craft doesn't inherently generate rp around it, you only have to look so far as every warlock with elven chain to realize that.

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:33 pm

I already made some tweaks to the announced recipes. Heavier lean on resources that can only be sourced from the Underdark, rather than restrictions on who can craft it, given those resources. Good food for thought here, though. Might play with it some more over time.

Done.

Skane

Post by Skane » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:35 pm

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:33 pm
I already made some tweaks to the announced recipes. Heavier lean on resources that can only be sourced from the Underdark, rather than restrictions on who can craft it, given those resources. Good food for thought here, though. Might play with it some more over time.
I vastly prefer material limitation over racial! It has a greater chance of generating RP sheerly due to conflict around resources.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:32 am

I like the idea of UD only crafts that are neutral looking, that surfacers might want. It gives work to your local shady merchant.

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:46 am

As a proponent of levity, I enjoy the idea of a surface raid to steal chairs and tables because they would look great in such and such's quarters.
Drow raid for slaves, Elves raid for furnishings.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

Hinty

Post by Hinty » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:06 pm

Not exactly against the idea, but I have to say, there is nothing Underdarky about the look of those things. In fact, to me they look ideal for dwarven settlements too.

There are a few items in the fixture list already that definitely have an Underdark style that I would be willing to accept as "Underdarker only" but not these.

Preytoria

Post by Preytoria » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:50 am

The great furniture smuggling of our time has begun.

KeldonDonovans

Post by KeldonDonovans » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:12 pm

It would be neat if all the restricted crafts were able to be taught, in a manner similar to languages. To further explain what I'm talking about, I'm gonna post an example with made up numbers that, if the idea were implemented, would need tweaked at Dev/DM discretion.

Say it takes 1000 man hours for a surfacer to master the art of making an underdark couch, which takes 50 crafting points to make start to finish. So you, a surface couch maker looking to learn, finds someone who has already mastered the art of underdark couches. They craft the "work in progress" underdark couch, and then stand in close proximity to you while you add craft points, presumably giving you tips and hints as to how to do it. With the made up numbers I've provided, that means a surfacer would have to craft 200 underdark couches under direct supervision of someone who already knows how to do it, and now its unlocked for them, they've mastered the craft. You could even make it a little more complex and say something along the lines of 5 failures by the "apprentice" destroys the item. They would still get their points from learning, sure, and now they know what to avoid next time. But if a master UD couch crafter can accidently destroy their materials in their entirety every once in a while, it stands to reason that this would occur more frequently with their less skilled apprentices.

And it gives some master/apprentice RP that isn't just based in magic.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:26 am

Eira wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:24 pm
DangerDolphin wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:01 pm
100% agree with this. More trade!
I think anything that is UD craftable only and thus can be easily identifiable as an Andunorian export and marked as extremely illegal to trade in is good. Because you can't have smuggling and criminal RP if there's nothing to be a criminal with (that's the entire reason why I've always pushed contraband laws hard.)
what would fred rogers do?