Death Penalties Harder

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

theCountofMonteCristo
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Death Penalties Harder

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Good news. If you want harsher death penalties, you can now take the Mark of Destiny without having to wait for a DM.

Otherwise, this topic has been hashed out more times than I can count in all my years on Arelith. There is no mechanical thing you can do to make people RP death seriously. Before Writs, before rested exp, before the current death system and even fugue map, there was a massive exp hit on death. Talking in the thousands of exp for epic levels (it was something like level x100 if you were 21+).

Did it make people take death seriously? Nope. People even then said that death needs to be harsher. There is a point where if you make it that harsh, people will stop playing. And others will demand it to be more harsh. Why?

In my eyes, it all boils down to wanting to punish another player. They lost the PvP and so should suffer. This is a horribly corrosive and toxic mindset. If you want harsher penalties really look at the reason why.

If you want mechanical backing to make your deaths more meaningful great. Take the Mark of Destiny.

DM Rex

Re: Death Penalties Harder

Post by DM Rex » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:19 pm

There's no present plans to make death changes as yet. But we'll let you all know if we do.
Feel free to leave suggestions about such in the suggestion section of the forum.

Or not as that just closed for the time being. But hold onto it for next time.