Add a Slave Caller to Guldorand Server

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Watchful Glare

Re: Add a Slave Caller to Guldorand Server

Post by Watchful Glare » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:10 pm

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:01 pm
Maybe because Guldorand isn't pro slavery to the point of having a slave master?
Neither are Surface (Brogedestein, Bendir Dale, Windershin, Westcliff) or Cordor servers, but UD has a small extension into the Surface server with a Slave Caller in it, and Dis has one added in the same server as Cordor.

This is not an issue about placing a Slave Caller in the middle of Guldorand because that would be completely out of theme, but having one somewhere on the same server instead, much like you don't have a Slave Caller in Bendir Dale, but you have one on the Treadstone Locks.

And also a way to go in or out of the server through the halls of Kelemvor, but that's for another thread.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:45 pm

chris a gogo wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:55 pm
Dawn wrote.
If you think the slave caller not being in Guld is an issue, you probably also have an issue with slaves who have bluff/perform and can just hide themselves from the caller. Because with that, even being on the UD server you could never find them.

Slaves will and should try and find safety and/or freedom if they are being mistreated or play that they don't want to be enslaved.
Two things here.

One you are inferring an agenda into a mechanical exploit due to having more than one server.

I do not see how it's a mechanical exploit. For every situation/scenario there should be a way to not have an instant win. In this topic it's a slave caller. If you invest in high bluff/perform you'll never be found by a slave caller. In addition you could have a buddy with ward_teleport to prevent you being yoinked. There are other ways to stop successful use of a slave caller. And that's okay. It just means you can put in extra effort to try and find the slave or use other means to lure them out. Find out who their buds are, use that against them, have them scried, or create some other creative means to get to them. Sure, it may take longer to get to them but not every problem needs to be resolved in a second. Tbh. Until just recently I didn't even know there wasn't a slave caller there. And the point remains there are other ways to hide from slave callers.

Two if a players character is being mistreated and abused it's a reportable offense and nothing to do with RP, if they don't like the role play being given to them they simply ask the player to stop, and if they don't want to be enslaved there are ways to get free but by electing to play a slave they have agreed with the restrictions placed upon slave characters.

As you have stated there are means to avoid the caller already in place abusing an exploit should not be an option.
Slaves being mistreated is not a reportable offense unless it breaches the PG13 rule or becomes unfun/inappropriate for the slave player. I'd expect slaves to be mistreated, tormented in some shape or form or in general be given a bad time. They are supposed to be there against their will after all. At least most of them.

Perhaps the Admin team can simply weigh in on this topic and confirm whether not putting a slave caller in Guldorand was an oversight or done deliberately. At this point not having one there and slaves running there for comfort I don't see as an exploit unless it's confirmed by the admin team to be one. In which case I'd be interested to learn how it could be avoided other than slaves being disallowed on the Guldorand server entirely until such time the mechanics are introduced.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:52 pm

Watchful Glare wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:37 pm
D4wN wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:38 pm
If you think the slave caller not being in Guld is an issue, you probably also have an issue with slaves who have bluff/perform and can just hide themselves from the caller. Because with that, even being on the UD server you could never find them.
This is not only a strange assumption to make about me, but also a wrong one. Much like there seemingly not being a transition to or from Guldorand in the Halls of Kelemvor, I think it's an oversight.
I didn't make any assumptions about you. It was a general statement that the point that is being made here is people thinking it's wrong they can't recall a slave at the push of a button. My point is that there are other ways to prevent that also and other ways to hide from the slave caller. It wasn't about what you said.
As a slaver, I have had slaves escape me all the time. I have also elected not to get involved at times if I thought my intervention wouldn't really contribute. As a slave, I hide when doing something I shouldn't be doing.
Slaves will and should try and find safety and/or freedom if they are being mistreated or play that they don't want to be enslaved.
I completely agree. But if that can still happen in the UD, the Surface, and Cordor & Planes server with a Slave Caller on them I do not see why there would be an issue with Guldorand having one as well.
I don't see an issue with Guldorand having one at all. It's also not the point I was making. I'm just saying that I don't think there's a problem with there not being one. Tbh, I don't care whether there is or isn't one. It wouldn't stop me from going there any less than it does to Cordor or anywhere else on the Surface. I'm just saying that if there isn't a mechanical way to call a slave back on a server, then find other ways to generate that RP. We shouldn't be too dependent and limiting ourselves by mechanics.

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

LivelyParticle
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by LivelyParticle » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:41 am

I'm bumping this thread to request if it's possible to get an official answer on this, as I'm hearing it come up IC from people with extensive experience with the slaver system that it's ok for slaves to hide on Guldorand because of this mechanical absence of a slave caller, which is a strange thing to have to deal with in RP.

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:13 am

It’s OOC knowledge that the slave caller doesn’t exist on the Guldorand server, so people shouldn’t be using this information IC at all unless some further context is provided on the system by DMs in future.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:30 am

Put one on Skal and yoink slaves there as punishment if they dont behave :D

Spriggan Bride

Post by Spriggan Bride » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:33 am

malcolm_mountainslayer wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:01 pm

Maybe because Guldorand isn't pro slavery to the point of having a slave master?

I mean, it wouldn't have to be in Guldorand city limits. Could add a small Underdark area to the server... Maybe a little port with a slave caller and a few amenities... And as an added bonus connect it to the Deep Wells so Underdarkers can access that dungeon and some more epic writs.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:27 am

DM Monkey wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:13 am

It’s OOC knowledge that the slave caller doesn’t exist on the Guldorand server, so people shouldn’t be using this information IC at all unless some further context is provided on the system by DMs in future.

That's interesting, since I've never seen this as an OOC or mechanical thing. Just merely explained that the slave callers can't reach the lands of Guldorand and it being the one and only save haven on the entire island. Which is a pretty valid explanation. If this is the ruling, would it be possible to add a slave caller somewhere then?

As there are slave callers everywhere and no way to stop them pulling a slave (no disguise works, no teleport block works) and slavers can just server hop to try each slave caller, would there be a ruling and/or something implemented to counter the power slave callers have atm? I think otherwise it's pretty unbalanced atm.

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:34 am

D4wN wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:27 am

As there are slave callers everywhere and no way to stop them pulling a slave (no disguise works, no teleport block works) and slavers can just server hop to try each slave caller, would there be a ruling and/or something implemented to counter the power slave callers have atm? I think otherwise it's pretty unbalanced atm.

I think that's by design. Being a slave isn't supposed to be balanced, because you're a slave.
Even with this imbalance, it's not uncommon to have slaves running rampant for quite a while (until DMs step in).

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:42 am

D4wN wrote:
DM Monkey wrote:

If this is the ruling, would it be possible to add a slave caller somewhere then?

yes please, that would be of help for clarity's sake :heart:

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:56 am

Hazard wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:34 am
D4wN wrote:

I think that's by design. Being a slave isn't supposed to be balanced, because you're a slave.
Even with this imbalance, it's not uncommon to have slaves running rampant for quite a while (until DMs step in).

I have no issues with Chainbreaking being more difficult, but I think at least a teleport ward should be able to block it. Since it still doesn't stop them calling that slave once that ward is down or they move elsewhere. And you'd forfeit the scry ward + not everyone can ward. And if it's considered a mechanical / OOC thing to bring people to Guld, I'd like to think it's a mechanical / OOC thing as well for a slaver to server hop to try every caller.

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

Naghast

Post by Naghast » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:04 am

Counter-argument

Make the slave caller work across servers

Because even setting-wise it makes zero sense that i can slave-call someone from cordor to literal hell (Dis) but slave-calling from treadstone (in underdark but surface server) to slave pits (in underdark, ud server) is impossible.

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:24 am

That would also make sense yeah, but I imagine that might be quite hard if not impossible to do. Putting a slave caller on the Guld server would likely be a lot easier

Currently playing:

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Emma Young - Rolled

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Biolab00 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:04 pm

As a player that strongly advocates removal of slaves, I'll just add my two cents that any implementation that could possibly make the life of slaves harder and perhaps discourage them to play, please do.

Edit : To avoid reposting and to address the below post.
Discouraging playing of Slaves is not equivalent to discouraging playing in Arelith.
It is important to respect our own individual views.
To make a personal attack against a player's view as mean spirited just because he stands on differing side of the coin, is a form of bully.

Last edited by Biolab00 on Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LivelyParticle
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by LivelyParticle » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:08 pm

Biolab00 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:04 pm

As a player that strongly advocates removal of slaves, I'll just add my two cents that any implementation that could possibly make the life of slaves harder and perhaps discourage them to play, please do.

This strikes me as incredibly mean spirited.

Just because you don't like a concept that's viable to play on the server shouldn't mean you petition to have it as difficult to play as possible with OOC means.

That's absolutely not what the point is here of this thread - the issue as it is are that people are using what seems to be an OOC oversight as an IC situation (without any IC backup from DMs) to metagame/game the system to 'hide' from the slave caller.

No mechanical changes should ever be made to make people feel discouraged to play.

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:16 pm

DM Monkey wrote:

I'm confused, perhaps some clarification on this?
Conjuring someone (yoink) is a thoroughly tested and mapped magic to the point that people have managed to differentiate the servers and create a whole language to explain the phenomena as leylines. This is so deep in the server's culture that any experienced yoinker will feel comfortable with the locations and explain to less experienced people with little effort.
Even a lowlife pirate already knows where they can be conjured into a ship or not.

Add the fact that Guldorand in itself has an isolated "leyline" to the empirical data that no slave has even been called back to Andunor from Guld and you have a pretty solid assumption.

Is it wrong then to call Guld safe from collars yoink?

And I'm of the opinion that there should be a small area transition in Andunor that access Guld's server and is still Andunor.

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:03 pm

I'll be attempting to address this.

Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Kythana

Post by Kythana » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:04 pm

Diegovog wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:16 pm
DM Monkey wrote:

I'm confused, perhaps some clarification on this?
Conjuring someone (yoink) is a thoroughly tested and mapped magic to the point that people have managed to differentiate the servers and create a whole language to explain the phenomena as leylines. This is so deep in the server's culture that any experienced yoinker will feel comfortable with the locations and explain to less experienced people with little effort.
Even a lowlife pirate already knows where they can be conjured into a ship or not.

Add the fact that Guldorand in itself has an isolated "leyline" to the empirical data that no slave has even been called back to Andunor from Guld and you have a pretty solid assumption.

Is it wrong then to call Guld safe from collars yoink?

And I'm of the opinion that there should be a small area transition in Andunor that access Guld's server and is still Andunor.

It's just a way to abstract away the mechanical limitations. As far as I've understood, the idea of there being certain 'ley' zones isn't supported in rp, and is ooc information.

Personally, I think this is a case where a bit of common sense should apply. I don't think trying to explain away Guldorand being some sort of slave paradise because it happened to be isolated on a separate server for load balancing is a particularly interesting form of rp.

If it's a technical limitation that -yoink can't be supported across multiple servers, then add a small little cave somewhere connected to the UD that can allow for calling them back.

LurkingShadow

Post by LurkingShadow » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:06 pm

Wenchslayer wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:17 am

Right now, a slave can just run to Guldorand and therefore, be unable to be recalled. This defeats the point of a slave collar in the first place.

Please add a slave holding outpost in Guldorand somewhere that you can use to call a runaway slave.

This isn't about if slavery is reasonable, or unreasonable, or a broken or intended to start a debate. This is just pointing out the current system of apprehending slaves has a very obvious and blatant flaw. With this current flaw, I see little to no point in owning a slave as a player character.

And the raiders can just flee into the Underdark, respawn if dead and go unpunished.

Lets add a "Prisoners caller" to Guldorand.

EDIT: What im saying is, there is drawbacks for everyone with the split server system. But it is how it is.

Choofed

Post by Choofed » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:48 am

DM Monkey wrote:

Sorry here Monkey, you're saying this far too late. People have been observing this as fact and acting like everyone needs to change their logic many years in isn't going to work.

It's up to the development team to fix this if this is not intended gameplay design.

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:54 am

It’s never too late to improve your roleplay! It looks like this is being addressed anyway.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.