Your thoughts on divination

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

direfish

Re: Your thoughts on divination

Post by direfish » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:39 am

Bloodhound
Innate level: 1
Duration: 1 round/ level
Gain a +10 bonus to -interrogate checks.
Gain a +10 bonus on reading tracks. And your caster levels count as ranger levels for that purpose.

Locate Creature
Wiz/Sorc: 4 or SF: Divination special ability
Duration: Instant
Cast on an item in the inventory. Show the current location (server+zone) of the character who was the previous owner of this item.

Lay of the Land
Ranger: 2, Bard: 4, Druid: 4
Duration: Instant
Instantly reveals the entire minimap + marked places of interest.

Tongues
Bard: 2, Cloistered Cleric: 3, Druid 3, Wiz/Sorc: 3, Knowledge domain: 3
Duration: 1 turn
Understand and speak any language for the duration of the spell.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:09 pm

Two spells. Unsure what level, but probably not very high.

*Mark Fixture (Enchantment? Transmutation? Divination?)
Places your arcane mark on a fixture. You can have up to 10(?) fixtures marked at any time. You can choose to remove this mark as a free action at any time.

*Detect Fixture
Gives the location (if placed down) Of any fixture you have marked.

Epic Spell Focus Divination allows you to spot (via examine) fixtures that are marked. (and maybe by whom they're marked?)

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Sandrow
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Sandrow » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:55 pm

I provide some ideas that could be done within the engine.

1. Reveal map. Like loremaster or travel domain cleric, but it would cost a spell slot and is not limited to outer places. This includes information that you can acquire from [Commune with Nature].
  2. A farmiliar like detector, invisible, but diviners can dominate(like familar) and take full control of that sommon. To explore a nearby area from safe places. This might stand for [Arcane eyes].
  3. Ability to forseen/detect target's save or resistance, like diviniers in PNP does. It would be more useful if this ability can be cast through arcane eyes.
    4, weather report
Last edited by Sandrow on Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankStare16

Post by BlankStare16 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:11 pm

Listening Post, probably level 5 or 6

Create an invisible magical sensor where you are standing for 1 hour; anything spoken near the sensor is transmitted to the caster's combat log, even if the caster leaves the area. It is possible that this doesn't transmit voices perfectly, so the caster doesn't know who precisely is speaking, only the words. Creating it on the spot you're standing requires the caster to gain physical access to the place they want to 'bug'.

Eavesdrop, probably level 2 or 3

Expand the radius at which the caster can overhear whispers. Saw this done on another server where hard ranks in listen increase your 'whisper radius'. Made people with good ears dangerous!

Darkstorn42
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Darkstorn42 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:55 pm

I love the RP flavor brought by the school of divination and the unique perspective each player brings to it. No two diviners characters are the same. As many have said, the flavor of divination has always been to grant knowledge to the caster that they otherwise would not have. Personally I have used this, on many occasions, to have the ability to know of the nature of souls (the currency of the gods), through RP, and pair it with necromancy to manipulate it. That being said, I want to echo some of the sentiments I have seen here. Divination does not need spells that engage in direct PvP, as this school has so long been the 'RP' school. Spells that allow us to interact with RP systems, with additional benefits from foci levels, would be a welcome addition. This could even introduce small mini-games for the players through the NUI interface. There is a lot of information the servers collect that players have no access too, and giving divination access to small pieces of that would be fantastic.

Examples:
Small tidbits of a chat log from an area.
Magic buffs that exist on examine in vanilla.
A spell that magically copies a note from language A to language B (or just common?).

P.S. I greatly agree with Aradin that all of Triad Draykin's suggestions are fantastic.

Izahne Tiller/Victoria Helbrecht - (Shelved)
Maile Aylomen
Zuulanii Ironblood
Ukyo Kuonji

Sandrow
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Sandrow » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:42 pm

Another idea: A spell names Transcribe, which will not only transcribe the dialogues happened within a period of time on to a piece of paper, but also remain languages untranslated. Which can be translated by other character later!

The divinition caster use supernatural magic to dig deeply into their memory and record these messages on a piece of paper. Dialogues with NPCs will be recorded, too. Thus this handy spell is also useful to keep evidence during investigating tracks and stolen storage.

Hrothgar Bloodaxe

Post by Hrothgar Bloodaxe » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:01 pm

I've played an epic diviner (Shaman/ESF Divination) for a number of years on Arelith.

While I don't have a ton of thoughts on what could be brought in from 3.5e PnP, I do have some thoughts on how Divination could be made to play more of role, within the game:

1) Incorporate it into "environmental skill/feat checks." For instance, it is currently the case that the Climb skill can be used to access areas that would otherwise require a key, or, the Intimidate skill can open up dialog options that wouldn't ordinarily be available. Or, how the "Thug" feat or Nobility gift triggers certain functions within the game.

As this would apply to Divination, in a dialog window, a skilled Diviner might know "just the right answer" to convince the NPC to go along with their request. Or in a dungeon, if a certain door requires a puzzle of some sort, a Diviner could bypass this, since they would know how the door operates via their magic capabilities. Or, in the event of tracking, or disguise breaking, divination feats could provide additional bonuses to the skill checks that already exist.

This could be triggered by a check against the SF/GSF/ESF Divination feat, or some sort of similar mechanic.

2) Use it as a path to additional "flavor bonuses" that already exist. Things like learning languages more quickly, receiving craft points or other crafting-related abilities. Perhaps using a SF Divination feat-check when crafting certain high-powered items.

Another thought would be, for instance, to allow characters with high Sailing skills, and ESF Divination feats, to better locate ships that are on the seas, similar to how "the Little Snitch" in Sencliff used to provide information on the ships that were sailing about.

3) Increase the potency of SF Divination feats on a wider assortment Divination spells. Currently, SF/GSF/ESF divination are roughly analagous to other spell skills, in terms of the benefits they provide. However, I think this fails to account for the fact that Divination has far fewer spells, and far less "useful" spells, than almost any other spell school. I.e. while ESF Necromancy might not have many "feat perks," this is offset by the fact that it's increasing spell DC for an absolutely massive number of spells, especially post-Spellmageddon. Conjuration has massive impact on summoning, Transmutation on buffing, etc.

I think that, fundamentally, Divination is a very hard spell school to implement in a computer game - it's really intended for PnP. Accordingly, I think that people who are willing to invest in the feats for it, should receive a much higher benefit for the handful of spells that are actually included in the school within NWN, to make up for the fact that it is, by far, the most limited spell school, in terms of options for casting, and that there's not that many more significant spells that could be added, due to the inherent restrictions that come from a video game.

4) Add further benefits to the Shaman class, and/or Path of the Seeker, for Clerics. IMHO, both of these classes are somewhat underpowered, Path of the Seeker in particular. I think there is ample evidence for this simply based on the pronounced lack of people that play these classes. Accordingly, I think that by bolstering the classes that synergize with the Divination school, you will end up having more people playing characters that are Diviners.

Or, perhaps you could even introduce a prestige class, such as "Sooth Sayer," or something. It gives powerful bonuses, but is unlocked only with ESF Divination, and high spellcraft, etc.

Ultimately, I think aside from the "Divination feat/skill checks" and maybe a couple of additional spells, it will be hard to add actual "divination mechanics" into the game.

Accordingly, I think by strengthening things like spells, or classes, that require ESF divination, you will nonetheless incentive more people to take this feat/path, which will then result in more organic, RP-related divination.

Of course, optional horse death RP is a possibility.

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:12 pm

I appreciate all the responses and ideas, and I know other devs have gotten ideas already

Note that I am watching and reading still if I've been busy with work before Thanksgiving hits this week.

One thing I will endeavor to do in the near future is to make sure which spells are or are not feasible and give responses.

One thing I would like to add is don't limit yourself just to tarot card and Renaissance style divination or cloak and dagger and listening in. Ideas for more pagan style divination from older history such as bone reading and fire divining from real life pagan culture and any culture would also be immensely welcomed

Likewise I would love more general concepts and notions of how you think divination should work or general spell ideas rather than specific numbers, more general functionality too to try to have more creative room to draw from. Specific spells can be great but more conceptual notions too are great

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:39 pm

Svrtr wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:12 pm

I appreciate all the responses and ideas, and I know other devs have gotten ideas already

Note that I am watching and reading still if I've been busy with work before Thanksgiving hits this week.

One thing I will endeavor to do in the near future is to make sure which spells are or are not feasible and give responses.

One thing I would like to add is don't limit yourself just to tarot card and Renaissance style divination or cloak and dagger and listening in. Ideas for more pagan style divination from older history such as bone reading and fire divining from real life pagan culture and any culture would also be immensely welcomed

Likewise I would love more general concepts and notions of how you think divination should work or general spell ideas rather than specific numbers, more general functionality too to try to have more creative room to draw from. Specific spells can be great but more conceptual notions too are great

I am not sure of the game's limitations and scripting mind you, but would it be possible to add in items like the tarot cards but for bone reading, entrail reading, star reading, and other such items? Each type can provide a different insight (ie different reading) into things, allowing a wider range of RP from them.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:47 pm

different ways of enhancing existing spells is also a route.

truestrike lasting 1-3 seconds longer (this would be a boost to melee shaman, which i think is lower on the tier of melee casters).
Or enhancing find traps in some way as I think we partial nerfed it at some point to not really take care of traps properly?

Simulating the spell 'discern location' would nice like a more convenient, but less revealing version of scrying. So if someone isn't protected it's just like 'yoh this dude is in this region'.

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:03 pm

Edens_Fall wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:39 pm
Svrtr wrote:

I am not sure of the game's limitations and scripting mind you, but would it be possible to add in items like the tarot cards but for bone reading, entrail reading, star reading, and other such items? Each type can provide a different insight (ie different reading) into things, allowing a wider range of RP from them.

Such an item has been discussed and is definitely on a list of ideas I've been trying to compile in my limited free time, if functionality to distinguish it from the deck of stars is still under consideration

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:44 pm

This came up in a talk with a player but how about something like

*Detect Corpse - Detects the location of a characters corpse - if there is a corpse (If the pc is still alive/if the corpse is destroyed, has no effect.

*Speak with Dead is a necromantic/Divination, according to a glance at the wiki. So not really sure where it'd settle here. I kinda feel it's more of a necromantic thing honestly? But on he off chance - if that could be done in a cool way (i'm not sure how) then that'd be awsome.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Thanos

Post by Thanos » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:49 pm

Divination ideas what do you think of these ?

1: scry on location ime map giving you a 1-2 min astral from that is silent but can freely move around the area.

2: When you enter a map with a diviner they may be able to get text about unique events that happened in the area in the past i.e the fall of Benwick or Warftown to the building of Cordor or Aundor etc

3: extension on the first point you may be able to project to the party the same image with higher levels of divination

4: for a heavy piety expense you can break a concealed person when scrying but you are now making the person aware even if they don't have feats that they are being scried on

5: seeing Grumpy's idea of talking to the dead allowing some folks with divination and necromancy feats to get prompts on infamous / certain special things I'd rather leave FOIG fun monsters that have died in an area recently

BurntGnome

Post by BurntGnome » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:00 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:44 pm

*Speak with Dead is a necromantic/Divination, according to a glance at the wiki. So not really sure where it'd settle here. I kinda feel it's more of a necromantic thing honestly? But on he off chance - if that could be done in a cool way (i'm not sure how) then that'd be awsome.

I think if you caused it to pop up a dialog menu with the corpse to ask a few standard questions it could stand as a investigation substitute.

"What race was your killer?"
"What weapon did they use?"
"When did you die?"
"How many people were present when you were killed?"
"What was your killer wearing?"

This is more or less the same info you would get from tracks and other -investigate methods, just in a more flavor wrapped package.

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:21 am

Ability to see the destination of someone who teleported/used a portal/lensed out

Algol

Post by Algol » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:37 am

Would it be possible/ reasonable to have a spell benefit from multiple spell focii? Using divination magic to look someone's past and then using their traunmas or past for more potent illusion or enchantment spells could be very thematic.

Wethrinea

Post by Wethrinea » Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:37 pm

I have feebly tried out a pagan-inspired shaman where communing with the dead or spirits is the gist of the character. One limitation I found is in the spells available to me. Animate dead produces a prop (made much better with various streams), but still gets you in the "evil animator" camp, you can't speak through them (I think?), and you run the risk of being smite with holy fury if the wrong people walk in on your session.

A solution to this would be to have something akin to the ESF illusion ability, but instead of a copy of yourself or another character, you conjure a ghost, beast spirit, wraith, elemental spirit, what-have-you that you can move around and speak through with the -a command. This could be tied to spell focuses, with higher level feats granting more options or longer duration. Bonus if you can customize them with names, appearance and description.

Mechanically they would grant nothing (give them 10 HP and 10 AC or something), but as a prop for that kind of RP, they would be absolutely awesome.

Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

hugolino

Ancient divination practices

Post by hugolino » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:45 pm

Svrtr wrote:

Ideas for more pagan style divination from older history such as bone reading and fire divining from real life pagan culture and any culture would also be immensely welcomed

Here's a list I quickly compiled of some real life methods for divination used in ancient times.

• Temple of Clarius (Apollo): Following a sacrifice, a priest drank water from a pool and then would reply in verse to an unspoken question from a petitioner.

• Delphic Oracle of Phoebus (Apollo, Poseidon, Gaia): A priestess sat on a tripod over a natural chasm from which toxic gas arose. Her ravings were interpreted as prophecies by other priestesses. The same method was used at the Temple of Miletus, Anatolia.

• Oracle of Dodona (Zeus/Dione): Interpretation of the rustling of oak leaves or wind chimes.

• Temple of Hysiae, Boeotia (Apollo): Prophecy after drinking from a sacred well.

• Temple of Olympia (Zeus, Gaia, Themis): Study entrails or flames from a burnt sacrifice before an altar. The same method was used at the Temple of Thebes, Boeotia. Entrail reading, in particular, is found throughout the Mediterranean, and is called extispicy or haruspinica.

• Theban Temple of Ptoeian (Ptoios then Apollo): An oracle could be found at a grotto with a spring by the mountain temple.

• Sibylline Books: Collections of oracular verses in Greek dactylic hexameter believed to be bought from the Cumaean Sibyl, one of several prophetesses thought to be inspired by Apollo. Priests cared for the books and only the Roman government could decide if they were to be consulted for advice.

• Temple of Siwa Oasis, Egypt (Zeus/Ammon): Interpretation of the changing sheen of an emerald-encrusted statue of Zeus-Ammon when carried in procession.

• Roman method of "sortition": An answer was divined by shaking or drawing lots out of a jar. Divination by drawing lots appears in a lot of other ancient cultures.

• Greco-Roman dice oracles: Merchants rolled dice and then looked up its meaning on a chart engraved on the base of a statue of Hermes, the god of merchants.

• Greco-Roman/Etruscan method of interpreting omens: Common people without the funds for more esteemed methods would often interpret spontaneous events, such as sneezes or overheard conversation snippets, for divination. This seems widespread in ancient cultures and religions too. Unbidden and dramatic divine omens of warning were called "prodigies" or "portents," and often involved freakish or unusual events, such as the birth of a two-headed calf or an eclipse, that were interpreted by experts.

• Greco-Roman method of taking auspices: Seeking of omens happened at a lofty level when civic institutions would publicly take the "auspices." This was an act by a magistrate on behalf of the public seeking a divine sign that an undertaking would succeed or at least wasn't opposed by the gods. One public form this took was feeding sacred chickens and interpreting how they ate. In another, watcher(s) looked for signs to appear in particular areas of the sky, such as lightning or particular birds, and interpreted what they saw.

• Egyptian method of interpreting dreams: Ancient intellectuals would often interpret dreams to divine the future. This method appears in many other ancient cultures, including the ancient Persians, Greeks, and Jews. Egyptians, in particular, would go to sanctuaries and sleep on "dream beds" to seek comfort, advice, or healing from the gods.

TLDR: Interpret something ambiguous.

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:10 pm

A few suggestions:

Arcane Sight - I believe that Arcane sight would be an ideal addition for ingame mechanics wise and fitting within the scope of Neverwinter. Essentially, it would function as an upgrade to existing Ultravision, See Invisibility and True Vision by tapping into the caster's investment and training into the Divinic Artes. It's certainly a spell that would be very well targeted to Shamans and Clerics and is based off of the 3.5 spell Arcane Sight.

Arcane Sight (Sorc 4, Wiz 4, Dru 4, Cler 3, Sha 3)
Range: Touch
Duration 1 round / 2 CL (increase to 1 round/cl with GSF:D, increase to 1 hr/cl with ESF:D)
Effect: Ultravision, SF:Divination
Restriction: SF:Divination

Description: Spell allows for an experienced Diviner to bestow the ability to discern auras onto another person, temporarily allowing them to see and percieve the auras of those around them. (Works similar to wearing an Eyes of Savras item).

Greater Arcane Sight (Sorc 6, Wiz 6, Dru 6, Cler 5, Sha 5)
Duration: 1 round / CL (increase to 1 hr/cl with ESF:D)
Effect: Ultravision, SF:Divination, See Invisibility, +5 Spot
Restriction: GSF:Divination

Description: Spell allows for a greatly experienced Diviner to improve the abilities of another's sight to allow them to see and perceive the spiritual presence of another being, and enhances their vision beyond their normal capabilities using supernatural markers not able to be seen by the mundane eye.

Epic Arcane Sight (Sorc 9, Wiz 9, Dru 9, Cler 8, Sha 8)
Duration: 1 Hour / CL
Effect: Ultravision, SF:Divination, See Invisibility, +10 Spot, True Vision (2 Rounds)
Restriction: ESF:Divination
Description: Spell allows for a Master Diviner to improve and enhance the abilities of themselves or a comrade to percieve the world around them and see the auras hidden to the mundane. The target's vision is enhanced so greatly that for a brief period, the target can see even the most imperceptible of details that the most trained eyes would miss normally.

hugolino

Perpetual See Invisibility?

Post by hugolino » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:30 pm

Drogo Gyslain wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:10 pm

Arcane Sight (Sorc 4, Wiz 4, Dru 4, Cler 3, Sha 3)
Duration 1 round / 2 CL (increase to 1 round/cl with GSF:D, increase to 1 hr/cl with ESF:D)

Greater Arcane Sight (Sorc 6, Wiz 6, Dru 6, Cler 5, Sha 5)
Duration: 1 round / CL (increase to 1 hr/cl with ESF:D)

Epic Arcane Sight (Sorc 9, Wiz 9, Dru 9, Cler 8, Sha 8)
Duration: 1 Hour / CL

The escalating duration at the end of that series seems a bit counter-intuitive. :|

Cybren

Post by Cybren » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:14 am

I feel like the biggest divination missing from arelith is detect magic. You could use it on yourself to what spells have been cast nearby recently, with effects scaling based on spell focus feats (for example, without focus you might know the schools and a broad level range for the spells cast recently, with divination focus you might know the specific level of spells, with greater you might know the specific spell, and with epic you might know the specific caster). There could be a similar scale of effects for targeting creatures, where epic diviners might know who summoned a particular creature. (I know scry talk was verboten but similar effects, like arcane eye were mentioned, and it could also identify things like who a familiar belongs to, which is a much more interactive alternative for a similar mechanic)

Spells like arcane mark were mentioned, and I do think that would be cool, it shouldn't be a divination itself, even if it is ultimately part of the same update. Arcane mark in pnp is a universal spell, and if we had to give it a school it fits more obviously in transmutation or illusion. But being able to mark people or items or fixtures would be very fun, and you could do other interesting things with it.

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:25 am

no idea if it's been brought already but ...

Crystal Pufferfish?

Well, now that I've seen a preview of my post, it could have been brought up without my understanding it :D

second try : Crystal Spheres?

:kiss:

hugolino

13 Proposed Divination Spells of D&D 3.5

Post by hugolino » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:13 pm

Below are some spell ideas based on actual D&D 3.5 divination spells.

https://dndtools.org/spells/schools/divination/

ABSORB MIND (Book of Vile Darkness)
Level: 3 (Corrupt)
Target: Corpse
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The caster eats a portion of the brain of another creature’s corpse. By doing so, she gains the creature’s memories to some degree. She learns information about the death of the creature as though she were skilled in investigation.

+++

ANALYZE DWEOMER (Player’s Handbook)
Level: Bard 6, Sorcerer 6, Wizard 6
Range: Close
Target: Creature of caster’s level or less
Saving Throw: Will negates

You discern all active spells cast upon a creature.

+++

ANALYZE PORTAL (Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting; rename as Detect Portal)
Level: Bard 3, Sorcerer 3, Wizard 3, Portal 2

You can tell if your current map contains any magic portals, even if the map is unexplored.

+++

ARCANE SENSITIVITY (Shining South)
Level: Sorcerer 1, Wizard 1
Target: One creature touched

With a touch, you instantly determine if a creature can cast arcane spells and the maximum level it can cast.

+++

BATTLEMAGIC PERCEPTION (Heroes of Battle)
Level: Cleric 3, Sorcerer 3, Wizard 3
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 min./level

You gain a perception of the forces of magic and can sense when magic is being manipulated by a spellcaster. You gain a +5 competence bonus on Spellcraft.

+++

CIRCLE DANCE (Magic of Faerun)
Level: Bard 2, Cleric 3, Druid 3
Saving Throw: None if party member or Will negates.

You divine the general location and condition of a player character who is awake (logged in to Arelith). During the casting of the spell, you speak your target’s name as you do a spinning dance around a compass. If the target is alive, awake, undisguised, not invisible, not polymorphed, and on the same plane as you, you learn their general area as well as a vague impression of the target’s physical condition (unharmed, wounded, or dying). If not, you learn nothing. The target has a Will saving throw if not a member of your party. A party member targeted by this spell hears a voice telling them that an ally is looking for them.

+++

DISCERN BLOODLINE (Races of Destiny)
Level: Bard 1, Sorcerer 1, Wizard 1
Target: One creature
Spell Resistance: Yes

The caster can instantly tell the race and subrace of the targeted individual, plus whether the target is planetouched and how.

+++

EXPOSE THE DEAD (Spell Compendium)
Level: Cleric 2, Paladin 2, Sorcerer 2, Wizard 2
Duration: 1 minute/level

You gain a sixth sense that allows you to better investigate corpses and blood, as well as to locate undead creatures. Your eyes turn white under the effect of the spell, making it seem as though you were blind (although you can see as well as normal).

While this spell is in effect, you gain an insight bonus equal to your caster level (maximum +10) to investigate blood stains or Search a dead body.

In addition, you gain an insight bonus equal to your caster level (maximum +10) to interpret the tracks of undead. You still must have 10 ranks in Search or Spot (soft) to read tracks.

+++

GRAVE STRIKE (Complete Adventurer)
Level: Cleric 1, Paladin 1
Duration: 1 round

While this spell is in effect, you have a special connection to the forces of light and positive energy. For 1 round, you can deliver sneak attacks against undead as if they were not immune to sneak attacks. You must still meet other requirements for making a sneak attack. This spell applies only to sneak attack damage and gives you no ability to affect undead with critical hits.

+++

INSTANT LOCKSMITH (Complete Adventurer)
Level: Assassin 1, Sorcerer 1, Wizard 1
Duration: 1 round/level (maximum 10)

You briefly gain a +2 insight bonus on Disable Trap and Open Lock.

+++

KNOW VULNERABILITIES (Magic of Faerun)
Level: Bard 4, Cleric 4
Target: One creature
Spell Resistance: Yes

You learn any vulnerabilities and resistances the target creature has. This spell also identifies resistances and vulnerabilities granted by spell effects. For example, if cast upon a particular balor, you may learn it has damage reduction 30/+3, spell resistance 28, immunity to poison and electricity, and has acid, cold, and fire resistance 20.

+++

LOCATE CREATURE (Player’s Handbook)
Level: Bard 4, Sorcerer 4, Wizard 4
Saving Throw: Will negates or none

You slowly spin, speak a player character’s name, and sense the general area of the target. The target must be alive and awake (logged in). The target has a Will saving throw if not a member of your party. The spell is thwarted by invisibility and polymorph spells. The Bluff skill of a disguised target has a chance to fool this spell.

+++

SPEAK WITH ANIMALS (Player’s Handbook)
Level: Ranger 1, Bard 3
Duration: 1 min./level

While this spell is in effect, you can comprehend and use the Animal language.

Last edited by hugolino on Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:21 pm

I think it would be awesome if there were a divination spell that gave you information on a character's previous whereabouts, e.g., the last 10 areas they were in or something, or perhaps all the areas they were in within a certain span of time. That could totally be implemented. Would make for some very interesting interrogations.

Cybren

Post by Cybren » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:57 pm

[walks in and out of the nomad 20x]