Cheese

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

stoneheart-

Cheese

Post by stoneheart- » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:45 pm

Please put cheese back into herbalism. I'm not opposed to alchemists being able to make cheese, but the idea that you can't make cheese with the cooking discipline is ridiculous to me. Cheese is simply made by allowing milk to curdle in various ways. The first cheese was made by curdling it in sheep stomachs. There's nothing magical about cheese, you don't need a magic stick filled with lead and magic blood to make it.

please i just want to make cheese a normal way and not spread craft points even more thinly

DM Starfish
Art Director
Art Director

Re: Cheese

Post by DM Starfish » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:38 am

Cheese takes quite awhile to manufacture in some cases. Especially the hard yellow stuff. I suppose that it could be moved to herbalism and still keep the catalyst aspect of the recipe to facilitate artificially speeding up the process.

Roleplay is a two way street.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:52 am

More of a commentary on the profession system as a whole, but...the effort that goes into making very basic things like cheese and glass and dye is a little insane.

Its like the cities have -no- population of basic NPC crafters and artisans to make the basics of society function, and its left solely to the adventurers to do literally every mundane task of surviving. It shouldn't take an adventuring alchemist to make cheese, or a painting, or a cup of coffee. Basic things need to be made less ridiculous and/or available in NPC merchants.

A catalyst for cheese is just silly.

stoneheart-

Post by stoneheart- » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:16 am

DM Starfish wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:38 am

Cheese takes quite awhile to manufacture in some cases. Especially the hard yellow stuff. I suppose that it could be moved to herbalism and still keep the catalyst aspect of the recipe to facilitate artificially speeding up the process.

there is no parallel for this to be found in any other discipline, one can cure leather, a process taking days, in moments and minimal craft investments (in hard points or crafting points for the actual craft). Suddenly caring about the time it takes to make cheese is silly. I can talk myself blue in the face about cheese, being someone who makes cheese themselves, and I can say that not all cheese even takes that long. Soft, farmers cheeses/"cottage cheese" can be made in hours to a day. Cream cheese too is easy and quick to make.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:35 am

ReverentBlade wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:52 am

Its like the cities have -no- population of basic NPC crafters and artisans to make the basics of society function, and its left solely to the adventurers to do literally every mundane task of surviving. It shouldn't take an adventuring alchemist to make cheese, or a painting, or a cup of coffee. Basic things need to be made less ridiculous and/or available in NPC merchants.

Agreed wholeheartedly.
And now I'm thinking we should make that as another city upgrade for player leaderships to tinker with. "Artisan Merchantry" which then allows citizens of the nation to purchase those kinds of goods.

It would, at least, be a start.