This is not a good decision IMO

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Azensor

Re: This is not a good decision IMO

Post by Azensor » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:47 pm

Xerah wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:50 pm
xanrael wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:00 pm
DM Monkey wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:40 am

What could be very constructive here are opinions on how the loot system around runic chests/shrines should work from different perspectives.

You could use the existing writ system for this. Get a quest from a runic writ giver. Kill a boss/perform an action and it updates one of the objectives on your writ. After a certain amount of completed objectives you can turn it in for a random rune. The writ has a cooldown.

There’s not going to be a better suggestion than this. Just need an “advanced” system that only is attainable at level X that can only hold 1 writ.

The drop rates can be adjusted (and other higher quality items could be added, ie addy, gems, etc). Could also have a check from previous completion time stamp and change the drop rate based on that (ie someone doing it once a week gets a slightly better chance at nicer stuff than someone every day).

What if, you had to turn in your old writ papers to get the runic ones, an option once you get to lvl 30 maybe?

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:59 am

I don't hate the idea of having runic stuff tied to a writ goal, in fact I think it's got a lot of potential.

The one question I have, how easy would it be to increase the odds of a better rune based on party size? I.E, a group of one has a 5% chance at a big rune, 20% chance of a mid rune, and 75% chance at a small rune. A group of five would have a 50% chance at a big rune, and a 50% chance of a mid rune. Add some variations of course for the in between.

That doesn't solve the dudes who already did that cool down bit, but it does greatly slow down the solo grind for said runic items.

Android Sufferer

Post by Android Sufferer » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:54 pm

MRFTW wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:16 pm

After all, the main function of runes is to remove the RNG factor of dweomercrafting, so RNG can't be that fun when it comes to gear and hence character progression.

I thought it was to add rewards to high end dungeons that didn't power creep gear!

RNG removal for dweomer is coming soon, right?

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:16 am

Android Sufferer wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:54 pm
MRFTW wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:16 pm

After all, the main function of runes is to remove the RNG factor of dweomercrafting, so RNG can't be that fun when it comes to gear and hence character progression.

I thought it was to add rewards to high end dungeons that didn't power creep gear!

RNG removal for dweomer is coming soon, right?

I can't speak for the original intention of runes, but players' main function of them is removing dweomercrafting RNG, either by avoiding a hard 5% or avoiding a double hard 5%.

I haven't looking too much into the dweomercrafting changes beyond the fate of hard 5% items. I don't particularly object to the RNG factor of low-level dweomercrafting, as I said, I enjoy a bit of RNG too sometimes. Godsaves provide a reliable way of avoiding that RNG in a time gated manner, too.

perseid

Post by perseid » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:36 am

Tying runic stuff to a writ goal is just going to balloon the prices even more than what's already happening in anticipation of the new system. I don't know what a good alternative to the current way runic mats are handled would be but I don't really see the point in replacing a party hostile system with something universally consumer hostile in an already steep market.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:13 am

perseid wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:36 am

Tying runic stuff to a writ goal is just going to balloon the prices even more than what's already happening in anticipation of the new system. I don't know what a good alternative to the current way runic mats are handled would be but I don't really see the point in replacing a party hostile system with something universally consumer hostile in an already steep market.

If prices ballooned, I'd just do my writs and get my runes that way, in the same way that I don't usually pay now and grind runic dungeons instead. It's worth remembering the only runes you see for the sale are the ones that haven't sold.

perseid

Post by perseid » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:24 am

MRFTW wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:13 am
perseid wrote:

If prices ballooned, I'd just do my writs and get my runes that way, in the same way that I don't usually pay now and grind runic dungeons instead. It's worth remembering the only runes you see for the sale are the ones that haven't sold.

This is essentially saying that it's okay because it's a timegate not a money gate. At the current rng it'd take months. I don't see how that's an improvement.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:32 am

perseid wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:24 am
MRFTW wrote:
perseid wrote:

This is essentially saying that it's okay because it's a timegate not a money gate. At the current rng it'd take months. I don't see how that's an improvement.

I agree. That's why I suggested a point-buy system so players can be sure of what they're working towards.

MRFTW wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:13 pm

The only thing I could think to make [runic ultra writs] even better is if it awarded points to exchange for high end items of your choice rather than being at the mercy of RNG.

perseid

Post by perseid » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:33 am

MRFTW wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:32 am
perseid wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:24 am
MRFTW wrote:

I agree. That's why I suggested a point-buy system whereby players can be sure of what they're working towards.

MRFTW wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:13 pm

The only thing I could think to make [runic ultra writs] even better is if it awarded points to exchange for high end items of your choice rather than being at the mercy of RNG.

Fair. Adding a progression or even just pity system of some kind would definitely help then.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:35 am

The best, and really only solution probably, is to just cut off this party-shared cooldown entirely. Make the per-player individual cooldowns longer/shorter according to the state of runes in the market and eventually fine tune it. There's really no other way except a full overhaul of the whole system and that would take long time, and in the meanwhile we just want to have a reason not to avoid partying with others.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too