Differentiation of Abyss Balors

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Lacki

Differentiation of Abyss Balors

Post by Lacki » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:32 pm

The Balors in the Abyss really need some differentiation to show how dangerous they are.

I got rocked by a creature marked Demon (Balor) because it had +58(!!!) to hit, IKD, and a powerful demon summon. It didn't have anything on it to differentiate it from any normal Balor or even a Balor Lord.
For reference, there were both Balors and Balor Lords a zone across. Both types of balor went down in one or two rounds and felt about equal in strength to each other (which doesn't seem right to me, given that they're supposed to be the strongest demons, but I digress). This gave the false impression that this Balor that I encountered was no different and so I didn't prepare as much as I should have before engaging it.

I don't want this balor nerfed - it's good that it's an actual threat since that's what balors should be! I just want it to be absolutely clear to a player that's going to engage it that the balor in question is more dangerous than others of its kind so that preparations can be made before fighting it. Give it a name. Give it literally anything to show the player the danger that they're in if they face it.

Don't just give it a generic name and dump it next to a zone where identical mobs are far less dangerous and trick the player on an OOC level into thinking that this mob is as much of a chump as the identical mobs are.

Twohand
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Differentiation of Abyss Balors

Post by Twohand » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:00 am

Looks like you encountered Balor NPCs from vanilla Neverwinter Nights. The area where you found them, what is it called? They will be removed.

Lacki

Post by Lacki » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:28 am

Dragonovith wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:00 am

Looks like you encountered Balor NPCs from vanilla Neverwinter Nights. The area where you found them, what is it called? They will be removed.

I can't quite remember the area - it was somewhere in the Abyss. I think it might be called the Western [X] or something like that? It was one of the areas you can get to after getting through the looping maps (like the Balor Maw Lake, Safe Haven, etc). The weak balors were in one area of that place, and the stronger balor was in an adjacent area.

Twohand
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Twohand » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:56 am

Lacki wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:28 am

I can't quite remember the area - it was somewhere in the Abyss. I think it might be called the Western [X] or something like that? It was one of the areas you can get to after getting through the looping maps (like the Balor Maw Lake, Safe Haven, etc). The weak balors were in one area of that place, and the stronger balor was in an adjacent area.

Thank you, I removed them.