Polymorph Self

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

silverpheonix

Polymorph Self

Post by silverpheonix » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:41 pm

This is a little on the line of suggestion/feedback, but I was asked to post here for visibility. Currently polymorph self is a neat spell for allowing access to areas your PC might not normally go for a variety of reasons. It's not too powerful (arguably I'd say there should be more non-monster form options) and it's got some serious vulnerabilities.

The big problem however is the green whoosh VFX and SFX triggers whenever the save script triggers. If you or anyone else closes a storage chest or shop in the same area, the pmorph effects trigger. I've had this happen about seven times within 15 or 20 seconds before. It is incredibly distracting and disruptive from immersion. It also gives people a reminder "oh, it's a pixie with quotation marks around their name. I should pop True Sight and call them out for being polymorphed".

The VFX and SFX should be disabled for this spell.

I'd also like to see whether we can add more options for forms. Polymorph Self is a combination of Alter Self and Polymorph, but it operates more along the lines of Polymorph (presumably you yourself are a willing creature that can be touched), minds the fact that in 3 and 3.5 you have full access to your spellbook while polymorphed. My concern there is you risk creeping into territory generally reserved for special PCs like Shifters and Raks.

Clayton on the Discord.

Lilith Vensurai: [Whisper] Dib's in charge of not exploding reality.
Johnathan Rigsby: [Whisper] This is unfair.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Polymorph Self

Post by Kalopsia » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:58 pm

The SFX and VFX are unfortunately triggered by the engine, so there isn't a whole lot we can do about it as far as I know.

silverpheonix

Re: Polymorph Self

Post by silverpheonix » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:30 pm

Kalopsia wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:58 pm

The SFX and VFX are unfortunately triggered by the engine, so there isn't a whole lot we can do about it as far as I know.

Is there a way to disable them entirely?

Clayton on the Discord.

Lilith Vensurai: [Whisper] Dib's in charge of not exploding reality.
Johnathan Rigsby: [Whisper] This is unfair.