New Wild Shapes

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

RedGiant

New Wild Shapes

Post by RedGiant » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:40 am

Somewhere along the line there was an update I missed to druid wildshapes. I think these need a relook from an aesthetic standpoint. Love or hate NWN, there is a certain aesthetic to the game. I can speak only of the 12 lvl and greater feat, which is supposed to represent dire shapes. Stock NwN chose to portray them generally as large animals with glowing yellow eyes and bony extrusions.

Now we have:

Dire Bear - It looks demonic, with Xs carved all over it, glowing red eyes, and a butt whose size and position make it look like a thorax.
Animation - Again with the butt/thorax, almost comes across insect or wormlike at a run
Dire Panther - Uncanny valley of proportions, sorta horse-like torso, with yellow eyes on the side of its head like a gecko
Animation - Doesn't move like a cat, looks instead abit like it is galloping
Dire Wolf - Is frankly chonky, with a truly ginormous head whose features are disproportionate to the body
Animation - Natural looking
Dire Boar - Legs are too short, it has black eyes with red pupils, and the splotchy fur suggesting either mange or undeath
Animation - Looks a bit strange, with the high back kick but the bulky front looking like it might crash into the ground

Dire Badger - I think is the original NWN version, which fits the original aesthetic.

In short, recommend these be reverted or given a serious relook.

The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Kroatius
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Wild Shapes

Post by Kroatius » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:33 am

Hi there, thanks for the feedback.
I'm already working on changing Dire Bear and Panther, some show interest in the change I made but yeah, some prefer the low-poly looks. I will think about that.

Panther
Bear

hugolino

Post by hugolino » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:59 pm

Kroatius wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:33 am

Panther
Bear

Responding to those screenshots, those are nice looking animals, particularly the bear!

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:10 pm

THE BEAR IS SO FRICKEN CUTE!

Turtleduck

Post by Turtleduck » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:45 pm

Kroatius wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:33 am

Hi there, thanks for the feedback.
I'm already working on changing Dire Bear and Panther, some show interest in the change I made but yeah, some prefer the low-poly looks. I will think about that.

Panther
Bear

Panther looks very cool! Bear as well.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:26 am

I agree those look better.

Though I have certainly established myself as somewhat of a traditionalist on the forums over the years, not all change is bad. I wouldn't classify myself as a fan of low-res polygon look, but I did appreciate the theme of dire animals in vanilla NWN. It was an honest attempt to capture the feral and monstrous nature of dire animals outside of just being larger. You knew instantly looking at them that this was a dire.

Is it possible to work in a visual cue with the new models? Maybe just give them all the same feral, yellow eye-gleam or something?

I, for one, would very much look forward to a hi-res version of the dires if we could work in another instantly recognizable theme.

I also still hope we can get your man-pixie! No sparkle without equal representation! holds a tiny picket sign

Kroatius
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kroatius » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:29 pm

RedGiant wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:26 am

I agree those look better.

Though I have certainly established myself as somewhat of a traditionalist on the forums over the years, not all change is bad. I wouldn't classify myself as a fan of low-res polygon look, but I did appreciate the theme of dire animals in vanilla NWN. It was an honest attempt to capture the feral and monstrous nature of dire animals outside of just being larger. You knew instantly looking at them that this was a dire.

Is it possible to work in a visual cue with the new models? Maybe just give them all the same feral, yellow eye-gleam or something?

I, for one, would very much look forward to a hi-res version of the dires if we could work in another instantly recognizable theme.

I also still hope we can get your man-pixie! No sparkle without equal representation! holds a tiny picket sign

I understand your concern, there is a rework about, and I hesitate to do it. I will ask the one who is working on the rework and I will try to add a male option soon, I think. If they give me a thumb.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:05 pm

Wasn't the plan to convert them into other models? Or has that idea been scrapped?

Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:14 am

You know, I just thought of another wrinkle.

Back to the dire animal conversation. Since Vanilla NwN only had one model for each, but Arelith has considerably more choices, is it possible in the redesign to ensure that dire summons, shapes, and companions all have the same models options?

One of my personal joys on Druids was to be able to get a 'pack' going. E.g., Direwolf shape Druid, Direwolf Animal Companion, Summon Monster III, etc. It would be jarring if these don't align.

Thanks for listening!

Kroatius
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kroatius » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:55 am

• III Summons: Would be okay, I think. I'm afraid it would affect Hitbox. But I can do this.
  • Animal Companion: NO, I don't think I will go over a hundred UTC files to change their appearances. Reason: We are planning to rework the old animal companions. To the new baseline that Blackguard's Create Undead (UCL) or Summon Fiend using. So yeah, I will leave it be.
  • Totem Shape: Another NO. Like you, there are many people wishes to keep the boxy white wolf (not the normal wolf). I don't why the wolf totem shape has the white wolf appearance but yeah, I will let them be and continue the discussion of Totem Shape on another day.