Permenant Fixtures in Bendir

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Drogo Gyslain

Permenant Fixtures in Bendir

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:40 am

In lieu of attempting to increase the fixture limit in bendir, There are several fixtures that would benefit the dale by being made permeant DM placements, like Cordor has with their Firepit sitting area. These fixtures are pretty well to stay where they are and it would free up the space for other fixtures about the dale lands as we are hitting the 65/65 limit pretty firmly and on the daily. It's been like that for some time and I feel like we can lessen the burden by making the benches, the fire bowl, and the Sharity Barrel permeant fixtures without raising the fixture limit.

Tabby
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Permenant Fixtures in Bendir

Post by Tabby » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:32 am

Could the inscriptions on the benches remain?
One of the is made by my character, i love to see it remain :)

Dormant Character: Tabitha Fuzzypaw - Shelved, searching all corners for treasures and secrets.
Misty Scrollsinger - Still searching answers, but is now elsewhere

Rolled Character: Björn Njald - sailed on new adventures

BurntGnome

Post by BurntGnome » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:07 am

I am a firm believer that amble seating should be provided in settlement exteriors and that the settlements should not have to burn their fixture limit to provide it, even if working on Bendir's seating was one of my favorite side projects. I fought with the Bendir fixture limit a good bit to make sure the seating did not interfere with the fixtures we needed. I cannot do the same in Guldorand, with half the fixture limit Bendir has. This sort of seating should be standard quality of life for all settlements.

Circles such as the one we built in Bendir or found in Cordor, hardmapped, with the two-per-bench seating positions would allow plenty of seating for roleplay. Both Bendir and Guldorand could use this treatment, I would say badly, and it should be considered.

LurkingShadow

Post by LurkingShadow » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:08 am

BurntGnome wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:07 am

I am a firm believer that amble seating should be provided in settlement exteriors and that the settlements should not have to burn their fixture limit to provide it, even if working on Bendir's seating was one of my favorite side projects. I fought with the Bendir fixture limit a good bit to make sure the seating did not interfere with the fixtures we needed. I cannot do the same in Guldorand, with half the fixture limit Bendir has. This sort of seating should be standard quality of life for all settlements.

Circles such as the one we built in Bendir or found in Cordor, hardmapped, with the two-per-bench seating positions would allow plenty of seating for roleplay. Both Bendir and Guldorand could use this treatment, I would say badly, and it should be considered.

As a Guldorandi player, and a bit of a soft spot for Bendir (years ago I had a short lived Hin there! and from Amias version), I think both places deserve this and I agree!

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:01 am

There’d be more space if there wasn’t 15 message boards. :)

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

whitewingeddove
General Admin
General Admin

Post by whitewingeddove » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:28 pm

I’ve reviewed quite a few areas for fixture limit adjustments, and I have a few notes about the Bendir area.

Firstly, you’ll find that the main settlement area will always have a limited fixture amount, as we don’t want to impede traffic flow with large amounts of fixtures. Also, these areas are designed with built-in furnishings and decorations specially-placed by the area devs to make the place filled out without interfering with the flow and layout of the main area.

Bendir currently has a cluster of fixtures near the well/main message board, and a few other clusters of fixtures not including the plants. I could understand the argument for more fixtures if it was evenly spread out through the area and you felt it was still running short, but bunching fixtures up together in one spot tells me the fixture limit should be kept clamped to prevent fixture clumping from spreading to more parts of the area.

BurntGnome

Post by BurntGnome » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:10 am

Im not entirely sure where you expect the fixtures to be, if spread out. No one goes in the back corners of the town, the decor is where the players are, putting random things where they wouldnt be seen isnt particularly useful for making the area inviting and comfortable. I understand you dont want people blocking up areas, but that's never really been a complaint in Bendir from any one. Dont think it's unreasonable for the area devs to hard-map seating arrangements in the main area where players gather. There isnt any designed for Bendir as is.

If Valor Were Inches
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:52 pm

I agree with Dreams, and don't think Bendir needs permanent fixtures. The main area has more seating than is ever used, though I love the benches around the fire. There are far too many message boards, duplicate fixtures, out-dated fixtures, work stations that don't need to be in the main area, and more.

If this was addressed, it would give more room for playing with seating with a space you can work with yourself, rather than something hard set that you have to work around.