Bard Feedback and Song Stacking

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Bard Feedback and Song Stacking

Post by Iceborn » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:27 pm

Let me preface this by saying I love new bards.
I screamed myself hoarse for bards to get some actual love, to give them some proper ASF, expand their spellbook and give them synergy, and the whole song rework, the curses, the class scalings and everything that happened to the class is just amazing.

However, there are some things that are still less than perfect. Some of the points I'm going to make are of less severity than others, obviously. Also keep in mind that this is in contemplation of majority bard levels builds and not dip builds.

Lich Lyrics:
This curse damages friendlies, this is how it works in vanilla, but it probably should be reviewed to be party friendly.

Curse Song Removal:
However strong the curse song may be, removing all effects with a lesser restoration (which may be drunk immediately from common and inexpensive potions) makes dealing with them somewhat trivial. Since there's no visual effect or /way/ to know if a PC/NPC has been affected by a curse song, it also makes them uncertain for the bard whether they should try to reapply it.

Curse song effects should not be removable with a Lesser Restoration and should be upgraded to Normal/Greater resto. Restoration is accessible from wands for characters with UMD and from mundane Pies of Restoration.
Additionally, a visual effect would be appreciated.

Curse Song Effect:
Further, why is the Song a persistent Aura, but the Curse a one-time application effect? The inconsistency makes grasping the mechanics of how the songs are meant to work harder than it should (and if you've seen the new bard wiki, you know there's a LOT of new mechanics with little nuances, duration, radius, effects).

As a matter of consistency, the Curse should be a persistent, undispellable aura debuff (and if you want to dispell it, kill the bard).

Curse Damage:
Currently, a character that is afflicted by a curse cannot be damaged with the damage component of a curse.
This should not be the case, a character should be damaged on every re-application of a Curse.

Learning Songs:
Learning songs in the world is great and teaching them is fantastic, but if I learn it from another player I'd like to be PROMPTED if I want to learn it, instead of it being added directly to my known songs just because I was caught in the area of effect.

Song Quality:
Some songs are definitely better than others.
Some look not so great when you consider them, like the Frostbound Range and the Blacksmith Ballad, until you realize greatly neutralize ice/fire based damage, which in some thematic dungeons you get absolutely spammed with. These are great.
Then there are some Songs that are subjective useful in one specific scenario, and that's alright - like the Draconic Dirge when you have to go against a dragon boss, the Purser's Piece for selling, or the Miner's Melody for that sweet mining RNG.
Then there are a few that could a little more oomph to be worth using.
The Sentinel Song, the Masking Melody, the Deceptive Ditty, and the Ranger's Round are a little on the subpar side. I'll go into detail for each of these:

(Assuming you have ESF: Perform, which you should if you are a main bard)
Sentinel gives you See Invisibility and Ultravision. Given these are 2 low level spells that anybody can have wanded or potioned they aren't great, though you can make a case to use it in desperation if you get hit with an unexpected Darkness, which can wreck you in both PvE and PvP. Still, the DR scaling is mediocre (and as usual, there's no way to know if this stacks with other DR sources, which needs to be clarified) and should definitely be a little more generous. The Spot/Listen is fine, but since you can't benefit from your own Listen from Noisy Mechanics that's worth half as much to yourself.

Masking Melody gives you Perform/Bluff scaling, and up to +6 mind saves (for pure bards).
And that's it. No effects. The mind saves are neat but it should definitely do a little more. I'd suggest giving a one-use Clarity or a Slippery Mind effect.

The Deceptive Ditty has an interesting array of skills, but ultimately the only reason I'd end up using it is to make use of Shadow Doors for party benefits. This is /great/ but I wish this was also a viable combat song, since otherwise the Concealment scales 1% per effective song level, which is not great, capping at 30%. If this had a more generous Concealment capping at 40/45% this would a vastly better song.

Ranger's Round: This is a song that doesn't get anything noticeable. You get some movement speed that only works in Wilderness, but it's less than what you'd get from the Traveler's Tune, which works everywhere. And it gets AB/AC vs Animals and Magical Creatures, which is genuinely a rare enemy group in PvE and practically useless entirely in PvP. This is the one song I don't see any place to use other than to help the ranger/druid in my party when they need some oomph for their Animal Empathy (which is never).

Selfish Solo:
This song is unique in all regards that it gives a bunch of good effects, but it only applies them to the bard.
The best one, however, is the +1 APR - which you only get on 2 circumstances: Pure bard, or 10 Dirgesinger+Epic Assassin.
I would be infinitely happier if this gave you +1 APR for any 3 APR build, which is the same as saying any <16 pre epic BAB build, or any <21 BAB. Any 3 APR melee build is painful to play, and sometimes downright useless in PvP against anybody that knows what they are doing. If you are singing this song to boost your APR to 4, you are pretty much forsaking your party role as a bard, or everybody friendly around you is dead.

Bard Bonus Feat:
Bards get an extra feat at lvl 10. This is great. Bards are already feat starved for the most part. I'd love to get another at lvl 20.
Their feat selection is a little tiny. This is not great. The selection could also include spell foci and regular combat feats.

Unremitting Cadence I/II:
These 2 feats give you auto-extend on spells 1/3 and 4/6.
Bards are pretty feat starved if you are doing a combat build rather than going full support.
And going 21 charisma is not going to happen for literally any other than a main caster bard. These feats are not super great and they have a pretty hefty requirement to begin with. I would suggest to remove the cha requirement entirely, and even then I'm not sure it's worth sinking 2 feats for autoextend.

Song of the Heart:
This is an OK feat, but again this is completely unattainable for any but main cha builds. Which I'm sure it's intentional, but I also fail the logic when you are already paying a hefty feat tax to get here. The way it stands it asks for epic bard levels, 25 charisma, Unremitting Cadence II, AND Epic Reputation. This is a huge bruh feat.
I feel this should be a lot more lax on its requirements, even asking Epic Reputation alone seems too much.

Song/Curse Stacking:
This is the meat of the thread and the main reason for why I'm writing this.
Currently, it is functionally useless to have more than 1 bard in the party, as you only get the bonus from the best one singing.
This sucks.
I cannot put to words how much it sucks that your main party benefit is completely rendered redundant by having another bard with you, and instead of singing together or empowering one another you get nothing. This is the same for curses and dirgesingers too.

Mind I am not saying that songs should fully stack to hit the +20 dodge AC cap either.
The way this should work is by having bards sing different songs, and each of them apply the unique scaling of each different song, while still using the main Rhythm scaling from the best bard.
This means you should be allowed to have a party with - say - 3 bards at levels, 29, 26, 20, and each of them could be singing a Healing Hymn, A Traveler's Tune and a Slime's Serenade to get the Regen-Healing-Acid resist of each effect and benefit from the Rhythm of the lvl 29 bard. This is not even as powerful as it sounds, as each of those characters is a /dedicated/ bard to get most of those effects to some degree that are actually useful, they are support caster/fighters for the most part. They won't be doing WM damage or exploding mob spawns like a spellsword party.

The same should be the case with Curses - currently, again, if you have a bard and a dirgesinger in the party, only one of those curses are going to stick, and the other character has to forfeit to use one of their main class tools. Different curses should stack the same as Songs.

I'd go as far as to suggest that bards singing the same songs should increase the potency by one dynamic tier for each singing bard, up to the cap of 30, but I am not married to this suggestion and there are better hills to die on.

That is all I can muster at the moment after playing an epic bard with other bards for the last 2 months or so. If I think of anything else that's been going around my head I'll add it as an Edit before this segment.
And I want to conclude by reminding everybody that feedback and criticism is never an insult or a personal slight on the people that worked and designed the class. I just want to bring what issues it currently has to the light in the hopes that we may have a greater playing experience. And I also want 4 APR. Please give me 4 APR I'm begging you I will give you hea-....

Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Bard Feedback and Song Stacking

Post by Sincra » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:44 am

Lich lyrics:
Denied, they are stronger for this exact reason, it is also a song that literally forces people to cry until they dry out, anyone hearing it is effected except the source.

Removal:
Needs Kalo but is usually by design as it gives a counter that takes action economy, and bards being a force multiplier means in many vs many this is a crippling cost.

Curse damage:
Denied, the curse damage is applied with the negatives, removing the negatives lets you do the damage again. It is a cost reward situation that the inflicted must decide which they prefer.

Learning songs:
No input here, the teaching system is clunky as is and probably does warrant a UI, but the amount of times I've ever heard of someone randomly dumping 10k adventure xp to teach a person without prompt is now 1, yourself.

Song quality:
Not all songs need to be peak of the pack, this is how you get balance issues.
The songs you have listed have uses, and that is enough.
The only one I think is weak is the Rangers Round, which by it's very definition in name it is mimicking ranger specialities, I would not fault the AC bonuses being expanded to all animal empathy possible races however.

Selfish Solo:
Denied, the apr was my idea and the background intent is literally to give pure bards the extra apr when alone to keep them viable.

Feats:
Kalo's discretion.

Unemitting and SoTH:
Denied, these were adjusted due to being power creep of excessive scale and will remain as they are to keep it a niche speciality.
You may not see the issue, but we made it this difficult as you used to take EDR 3 and SoTH which made unkillable force multiplier bards, extremely unfun to fight and downright stupid.

Song stacking:
Absolutely not in the current form, bard is already incredibly strong as a support, and having multiple does not make them useless, it means that if the party gets split you can have a song covering both splits, it also means more curse charges.

Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:02 pm

Sincra wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:44 am

Lich lyrics:
Denied, they are stronger for this exact reason, it is also a song that literally forces people to cry until they dry out, anyone hearing it is effected except the source.

Fair. This pretty metal.

Sincra wrote:

Removal:
Needs Kalo but is usually by design as it gives a counter that takes action economy, and bards being a force multiplier means in many vs many this is a crippling cost.

At the very least I'd insist on applying a VFX due to reasons stated above.

Sincra wrote:

Curse damage:
Denied, the curse damage is applied with the negatives, removing the negatives lets you do the damage again. It is a cost reward situation that the inflicted must decide which they prefer.

The damage for most curses is neglibible. Lich is the only one that has okay-ish damage and it is subject to a save for half damage, and given the formula all pvp ready people will easily surpass the DC. Assuming you have an effective 25 bard, that's 80~ average enthropic damage, 40 after save. Which you can't apply in a party-friendly environment for the limitation above.

You could make a case that with curse hastening this could get out of control fast, and I agree.

Sincra wrote:

Learning songs:
No input here, the teaching system is clunky as is and probably does warrant a UI, but the amount of times I've ever heard of someone randomly dumping 10k adventure xp to teach a person without prompt is now 1, yourself.

I'm a speshul snowflake.
Also it is currently listed that the teaching cost is 1k, but I haven't tested it myself to know for sure.

Sincra wrote:

Song quality:
Not all songs need to be peak of the pack, this is how you get balance issues.
The songs you have listed have uses, and that is enough.
The only one I think is weak is the Rangers Round, which by it's very definition in name it is mimicking ranger specialities, I would not fault the AC bonuses being expanded to all animal empathy possible races however.

Fair. It'd still be nice to have some niche effect on both the Ditty and the Round.

Sincra wrote:

Selfish Solo:
Denied, the apr was my idea and the background intent is literally to give pure bards the extra apr when alone to keep them viable.

If you are singing the SS you are pretty in the worst situation imaginable for a main bard build. Given that only characters with 20 or below BAB can even get 3 APR this means they are already on the low end of viability in terms of AB and any multiclass that doesn't give you more is probably utilitarian in nature or has utterly weakened you in some aspect, like greatly reducing your dispel resistance - which will get you killed really fast in pvp.

Sincra wrote:

Song stacking:
Absolutely not in the current form, bard is already incredibly strong as a support, and having multiple does not make them useless, it means that if the party gets split you can have a song covering both splits, it also means more curse charges.

Bards are a strong support but getting your party split is a very rare situation. Having multiple bards in the party does make the extra ones largely less useful, as a main support class being unable to actually support with their main class feature is not good design.

Main support builds are exactly that, support, they have subpar potential on everything else, and bards are not known for having a lot of spells either. If you are doing a caster bard you are forsaking a lot of offensive and defensive potential, and with how DC spells currently work good luck hitting anybody in PvP. At best you can spam cantrips, but those are 100% blocked from the Circlet of Protection.

Some of the secondary effects are not particularly that strong to blow your eyes out of your sockets either. The hymn is great, regen, Heal bonus, immunity to poison and disease, but none of those features are game breaking even when stacked with other buffs, and you are still subject to all the regular weaknesses of a bard. One of those is still having your song completely nulled by a saveless, resistless aura silence.

At the end of the day it doesn't feel great to have to forsake your main class feature when other bards are present, and that is an argument I am willing to hold. One could make a case for extra songs being slightly nerfed even, dropping a dynamic tier or 2 as support songs while there's a main one that still takes the stage.

Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:39 am

It would be nice if Dirgesingers could use Lich's lyrics in a party... What if their level 9 Macabre Eulogy that gave Death Ward also protected against Lich Lyrics friendly fire

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:46 am

Eyeliner wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:39 am

It would be nice if Dirgesingers could use Lich's lyrics in a party... What if their level 9 Macabre Eulogy that gave Death Ward also protected against Lich Lyrics friendly fire

they already can, at level 10

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:51 am

To add a bit on top of Sincra's response.

Selfish solo.
The APR should definitely not be extended to all bards with 3 apr, because then it allows a 'div' bard with 30 song lvl, 4th apr, without having to dip bab classes, and therefore keep their CL high enough to use spellbook. That would be a pretty disgusting buff I rather not see (and bitch about on the forums after until it's fixed, the way many of us bitched about locks/traps being class skill and skill buff bloat, and other things bard broke in the past).

Bonus feats.
Bard is not feat starved. I have two builds on the wiki, illustrating that point. At the same time I will say however that there are many useful feats for bards, so it may seem a bit like feat starvation to someone who'd think they deserve to have all of them. You dont deserve all of them. Bard is not balanced around you getting all of them. A bonus feat on bard 20th would just mean that bard wm can have Toughness. That's all it would really do.

Song Stacking.
It's a very bad idea.
Bards party already has the benefit of having one bard singing Traveller's/Hymn and the rest of the other bards getting APR (or just a bunch of extra ab) from selfish solo. This is fine as is.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:58 am

I actually really like where bard is at, atm, and would love to roll one up now that they're more balanced and less of a meme.
I've spent a lot of time messing around with one on the PGCC.

The only issue I see (from a distance mind you, I haven't played one live yet, so I could just be wrong), but on paper a full on 30 bard with SotH, is pretty squishy when compared to a con+EDR3 build and the con+EDR builds seem to be favored heavily and way more common.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the SotH route, because the utility for me seems way more fun than survivability, but I think it'd be neat if there was some song exclusive to SotH that significantly helps with survivability, not to the extent that high con and EDR build would, but just to close the gap a bit. I'm imagining a song you have to twitch to so that at least when pressure is applied to the bard, the other bonuses might wane from their party as they focus on their 'Pls No Bully Me' song.

I dunno, like I said, it just looks that way on paper to me. Could be way off.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:00 am

Hazard wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:58 am

I actually really like where bard is at, atm, and would love to roll one up now that they're more balanced and less of a meme.

The only issue I see (from a distance mind you, I haven't played one live yet, so I could just be wrong), but on paper a full on 30 bard with SotH, is pretty squishy when compared to a con+EDR3 build and the con+EDR builds seem to be favored heavily and way more common.

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer the SotH route, because the utility for me seems way more fun than survivability, but I think it'd be neat if there was some song exclusive to SotH that significantly helps with survivability, not to the extent that high con and EDR build would, but just to close the gap a bit. I'm imagining a song you have to twitch to so that at least when pressure is applied to the bard, the other bonuses might wane from their party as they focus on their 'Pls No Bully Me' song.

Something like a 'Greater Selfish Solo' that only Soth bard can sing, and gives a bunch of resistances/ac/immunities/whatever, replaces normal selfish solo bonus, and IS a selfish solo song that only applies to the bard. Like an emergency "I JUST WANT TO LIVE" button.

Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:04 am

AstralUniverse wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:00 am
Hazard wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:58 am

Something like a 'Greater Selfish Solo' that only Soth bard can sing, and gives a bunch of resistances/ac/immunities/whatever, replaces normal selfish solo bonus, and IS a selfish solo song that only applies to the bard. Like an emergency "I JUST WANT TO LIVE" button.

Yeeee. Something like that!

Peacelily

Post by Peacelily » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:30 am

SotH also bumps up summoning tiers, maybe - since currently, an EDR III bard and a SotH bard both use the T4 planar summon. SotH bumping up to a T5 would be a big change in their ability to do content.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:34 am

Peacelily wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:30 am

SotH also bumps up summoning tiers, maybe - since currently, an EDR III bard and a SotH bard both use the T4 planar summon. SotH bumping up to a T5 would be a big change in their ability to do content.

I really like that idea, and it sounds fun. It would let pure caster bards solo easier content when they can't find a group to support.

Peacelily

Post by Peacelily » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:01 am

Hazard wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:34 am

I really like that idea, and it sounds fun. It would let pure caster bards solo easier content when they can't find a group to support.

I admit I find it sort've funny that bards, the ultimate support class, don't get decent things to support - they can't take epic spells, so they can't get Planar Conduit or Mummy Dust. Undead cap at T5, Planars at T4, Elements T7 with the conjuration feats.

Maybe make it so SotH and ESF Perform both bump up the summon - T5s, T6s in Epic levels, akin to deep blackguard or summon warlocks. Bards are already very Feat-taxed - ESF Perform, Lasting Inspiration, Undying Cadence I & II, Epic Reputation and Song of the Heart means they have one feat at epics available if they go for SotH.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:43 pm

Let me argue a little - from my fallible, human perspective of course.

AstralUniverse wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:51 am

To add a bit on top of Sincra's response.

Selfish solo.
The APR should definitely not be extended to all bards with 3 apr, because then it allows a 'div' bard with 30 song lvl, 4th apr, without having to dip bab classes, and therefore keep their CL high enough to use spellbook. That would be a pretty disgusting buff I rather not see (and bitch about on the forums after until it's fixed, the way many of us bitched about locks/traps being class skill and skill buff bloat, and other things bard broke in the past).

I don't disagree with this. I'm of the mind that Div Might/Shield should be capped by class level, the same with Div Grace/Dark Blessing, but I suppose that until that happens any buff to SS would benefit these type of builds that definitely do not need the extra love.

AstralUniverse wrote:

Bonus feats.
Bard is not feat starved. I have two builds on the wiki, illustrating that point. At the same time I will say however that there are many useful feats for bards, so it may seem a bit like feat starvation to someone who'd think they deserve to have all of them. You dont deserve all of them. Bard is not balanced around you getting all of them. A bonus feat on bard 20th would just mean that bard wm can have Toughness. That's all it would really do.

There are a lot of builds out there. Some have to scrap and pay the abj def tax, some will eschew all combat feats away and take spell foci instead. Perhaps I exaggerate saying they are starved, but they are very feat tight and they already have to pay the Curse Song, ESF Perform and Lasting Inspiration tax.

AstralUniverse wrote:

Song Stacking.
It's a very bad idea.
Bards party already has the benefit of having one bard singing Traveller's/Hymn and the rest of the other bards getting APR (or just a bunch of extra ab) from selfish solo. This is fine as is.

SS only gets AB and APR for pure bards. Any <27 level combination has no real use to use the SS in party with Traveler's, because you don't want to lag behind obviously and you only have so many hastes. Being a haste wand addict is not exactly a solution either. The scenarios of PvP vary greatly but for the most part SS is not that great either for anybody but pure bards.

A lot of bard builds are effective multiclasses and have different effective song and curse caps and I insist vehemently that your best option being not to sing while there's a better bard in the party objectively sucks, and it sucks for all the bards involved.

Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

AnselHoenheim
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by AnselHoenheim » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:55 pm

In my personal experience, and considering I had the opportunity to share parties with bards, I think stacking songs IS overpowered, the possibility to add more AB, more AC, or regen/another important effect like huge amount of saves, mobility, or immunity to certain spells/effects/elemental damage is exaggerated, one is enough, more a mistake, plus, there is more from a bard than just supporting with songs, like summons, consumables (Sometimes even produced by the same bard), or spell support.

For the curse song, being able to drop a nuclear 50-100 damage entrophy bomb that ignores spellcraft with 35 DC constantly with haste, is even worse! It would put the bard to the top of the list in terms of DPS damage, after all, for a good reason is way better never remove your debuffs against a bard for that exact reason.

It's true that certain songs need a buff, but Selfish Solo is out of the question for needing it for multiclass bards, a fourth APR is a very powerful tool that could create certain builds (I'm looking at you divine builds) that might be unbalanced for the actual meta, however, the ranger song and the deceptive ditty might need some love due for the second one being nerfed greatly for sneaky bards.

And the last is the SoTH, I still feel the fact that you need a ton of charisma in a bard for this to happen it's one of the biggest traps while playing a bard, most bards tend to rely in survability due to the importance of their songs as a support, and, giving them only a bunch of goodies like better summons it's just a small patch for the problem, a solution could be or reducing the amount of charisma required, or, give them the special ability for their songs to persist even when being downed in a fight.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:36 pm

AnselHoenheim wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:55 pm

In my personal experience, and considering I had the opportunity to share parties with bards, I think stacking songs IS overpowered, the possibility to add more AB, more AC, or regen/another important effect like huge amount of saves, mobility, or immunity to certain spells/effects/elemental damage is exaggerated, one is enough, more a mistake, plus, there is more from a bard than just supporting with songs, like summons, consumables (Sometimes even produced by the same bard), or spell support.

Just to point, most AC/AB you get from songs is situational against. That includes: AC against constructs, animals, magical creatures, shapeshifters, and dragons. Almost all of those being... largely useless in pvp, which is where real balance concerns are born.

Saves, mobility, regen, all of these are flavor. You could make an argument these are strong, but their value is also situational. That mighty +6 regen is not doing anything on its own more than being a little QoL, the speed is replaced by a haste, the saves may not benefit a character with low enough saves at all, and most people PvP ready build to be over the DC threshold anyway.

Spell immunity is limited to: Fireball, Combustion, Ice Storm.
You don't get immunity to any element, but you get a pretty nifty /15 resistance to acid/fire/ice.

None of the songs are remotely as overpowered as people seem to think they are. They have situational, limited uses.

I'm not saying bardic rhythm should stack with itself, only specific song effects, and even then I propose that they should be lessened and not be rendered in full.

AnselHoenheim wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:55 pm

For the curse song, being able to drop a nuclear 50-100 damage entrophy bomb that ignores spellcraft with 35 DC constantly with haste, is even worse! It would put the bard to the top of the list in terms of DPS damage, after all, for a good reason is way better never remove your debuffs against a bard for that exact reason.

A petty, but significant detail: Lich Lyrics does not ignore Spellcraft.
I said before that curses could be hastened, I was more or less wrong - dirges from the dirgesinger can be quickened, and even then you need 11 assassin levels too.
A fully focused, charisma 40 bard could drop a DC 45 Lich Lyric. Once, which most PvP characters will only fail rolling either 1 or very low. Everybody else will have a pitiful high 20 or low 30 DC.
Also, keep in mind that bards still don't have a clue whether somebody got clenansed or not of the effect in pvp, and they may still waste a full round action trying to re-apply an effect to no avail. Fun!
Dropping 20/30d6 area wide enthropic bomb sounds nice, but it's still party unfriendly and very, very easily saved for half damage.

Edit: I threw that DC 45 assuming the entry of the wiki is wrong and it's missing the usual +10 to the DC for the Lich formula.
I went to test it. The wiki is correct and Lich Lyrics does not get a baseline 10. So, reduce 10 from those hypothetic numbers for a glorious DC 35, spellcraft saved spell.

Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide