New Hobgobs

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

deserk

New Hobgobs

Post by deserk » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:16 pm

Just want to say really cool work. I was wondering if elf or human body model might work best, but I am guessing the thinking behind that is that they are recognizably distinct from any other race even while wearing helmets.

If they are in future worked further upon, it would be cool if the heads could get scaled down a tiny bit. They should also be taller in height. Races of Faerun 3e (pg. 134) describes hobgoblins as having a general height of 6 and a half feet, which makes them slightly taller than an average human. Also, for art advice (if they ever get unique head models), in lore (again Races of Faerun 3e pg. 134) and art goblinoids generally have (not always, especially with bugbears) protruding fangs rather than prominent tusks like the orcs.

Also imo human heads 33, 34 from vanilla NWN1 were clearly made with hobgoblins in mind, could they be converted to hobs?

Waldo52

Re: New Hobgobs

Post by Waldo52 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:36 pm

I wanted to say a couple things as a player who has wanted to use a dynamic hobgoblin for years now.

The human-ness of the model was really jarring when I tried to make one. Without a helm, the model is indistinguishable from a human as far as I could tell. I don't feel like I'm looking at a hobgoblin and so the immersion isn't really there.

I also didn't realize that orange/red skin was traditional for hobgoblins. I checked the forgotten realms wiki, and surprise surprise. Lore-accurate or not, it looks pretty terrible and doesn't exactly scream "goblinoid". My old hobgoblin minis were not red or orange. Our old skins were not red or orange. Maybe we just don't enforce this one and keep them looking like goblins with the skin tone?

Basically, anything that can be done to hunch the backs of the models, lengthen the fingers or something, or improve the head selection or somehow "de-human" the models further would be an improvement. Moving away from orange/red skin would be an improvement.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:47 pm

Waldo52 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:36 pm

I wanted to say a couple things as a player who has wanted to use a dynamic hobgoblin for years now.

The human-ness of the model was really jarring when I tried to make one. Without a helm, the model is indistinguishable from a human as far as I could tell. I don't feel like I'm looking at a hobgoblin and so the immersion isn't really there.

I also didn't realize that orange/red skin was traditional for hobgoblins. I checked the forgotten realms wiki, and surprise surprise. Lore-accurate or not, it looks pretty terrible and doesn't exactly scream "goblinoid". My old hobgoblin minis were not red or orange. Our old skins were not red or orange. Maybe we just don't enforce this one and keep them looking like goblins with the skin tone?

Basically, anything that can be done to hunch the backs of the models, lengthen the fingers or something, or improve the head selection or somehow "de-human" the models further would be an improvement. Moving away from orange/red skin would be an improvement.

the old model hobgoblins were using were urukhai I think

deserk

Post by deserk » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:38 pm

The old hobgob models were very LotR-esque.

Also RoF (3e) also says that they have skin colour that ranges from reddish brown to grey. So yeah they should have a bit more variety.

I did also find that the NWvault has this custom model of a Hobgoblin.