Adventure XP - pool size

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Adventure XP - pool size

Post by Irongron » Fri May 03, 2024 4:51 pm

Normally we can run DB queries for this kind of information, but given how this is stored it proves tricky. Therefore I have 2 questions that will help us with future development.

First is more crucial for our data.

1. If you have a character between level 11 and 29 how large is your pool. Please state both current level, and adventure pool size. We don't need character names or any other information.

2 How much do you value adventure XP and do you ever seek it out from its specific sources (freelance writs, adventure mode, exploration, crafting etc)?

Paint

Re: Adventure XP - pool size

Post by Paint » Fri May 03, 2024 4:56 pm

1. Depending on the character, my adventure pool xp is around 20k at 11, peaks at about 60-70k at 19, and tends to stabilize at about 30-40k until high-epics.

2. I like to RP a lot, you see, and I've noticed that if you keep your adventure pool xp topped off, you can more or less just passively level while you're loitering around in town talking nonsense. I tend to get it the most just from writs. Other sources of adventure XP just take too long to use reliably, but I will turn on -adventure mode when I'm trying to stay within a certain level range for longer.

I don't necessarily think it's important, but it does make it easier to keep up with other characters in the same level range if you don't do as much adventuring.

Last edited by Paint on Fri May 03, 2024 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri May 03, 2024 4:58 pm

1. My general trends are the same, low to start. Gets up to 50k ish somewhere in the late teens, slowly drops down after more RP happens. The last few characters, I have hit 0 adventure exp fairly near 30.

2. Highly valuable. It is really bad if I'm RPing and I don't have a pool. If I drop below 5k, I make sure to put -adventure back on until I have a large buffer.

Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

ElevenOne

Post by ElevenOne » Fri May 03, 2024 5:01 pm

Just logged in.

1) Level 13, 6385 adventure exp.

2) I love to get more ways to get adventure exp, but currently, I feel like the only reliable method to obtain this xp is turn on -adventure command, which is odd to do, because it also gives normal exp and let me level faster. As Crafting exp are limited to creating new stuff, Explorer is limited to explorable areas they are nice bonus, but kinda "hard" to get.

I took the Freelancer contract once, and it felt like it gave less exp? Kinda hard to compare without a way to compare side to side how much exp each one gives.

Security_Blanket

Post by Security_Blanket » Fri May 03, 2024 5:04 pm

1. I have a level 26 with about 10k in the pool

2. I've come to value it a lot, especially when RPing below 30, I grind Adventure XP mostly by redoing courier writs and Adventure Mode. As long as I have about 10k in the pool, I'm happy.

Draco Deleteur
Dreadlord Lucius Blackhand - "All is as Bane wills it."

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Fri May 03, 2024 5:09 pm

Depends.

If I have a PC stay on skal with -adventure on, I've gotten it as high as 90k at 19 before leaving and it never dipped below 80k.

On average, I leave -adventure on until I have about 15k early on while doing writs to also make sure I can maximize the number of writs I do, and turn it off around there. Sometimes 20k. More often than not I also do below my level writs specifically for the extra adventure xp, but 40-50k is usually the minimum I have from about 17 onwards, rarely if ever dipping below that.

But in part, I love RP but hate standing still and being stationary and so would much rather do RP around hunting a great beast or monster with people or going on a grand adventure, and struggle to focus on slow form RP in settlements. Hence my ever present love of ever more challenging content, for the challenge and the joy in overcoming the challenge itself and the RP around such challenge

Arctic

Post by Arctic » Fri May 03, 2024 5:09 pm

1) I've recently been playing a lvl 17 with 17k adventuring exp and a lvl 27 with 20k adventuring exp. I also have

2) My times are sometimes limited so I usually log on to do writs then hop off again. So playing like that adventuring exp is usually slowly increasing so I very rarely spend time trying to raise the pool.

viatrix

Post by viatrix » Fri May 03, 2024 5:10 pm

Level 16, 16965XP in adventure pool.

I find adventure XP very important. Once I'm beyond early leveling, I like to have enough banked so that I can RP freely without needing to worry about doing writs for a couple of levels if I so choose. I tend to used adventure mode and occasionally Freelance writwork to bulk it up, once I'm getting close to epics on a character.

Personally, I do not enjoy "grinding" writs and do not see levelling as a thing I need to rush, so I'm more than happy to take my time and level up gradually whilst I roleplay outside of writwork instead.

Darkstorn42
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Darkstorn42 » Fri May 03, 2024 5:17 pm

1) I have been well under 6k, and regularly running out on my current character, which is level 26 with 3800 right now, and dwindling.

2) As my RPR has gone up I value adventure XP more and more. In fact, this is my first new PC since my last RPR increase and I really regret taking professional writs with how much I have been RPing vs doing writs. To this end, I also try to craft things for myself to get that extra few hundred adventure XP. Walk into various building to get that tiny bit, and get easy to get portals. I keep -adventure on from the start of making my characters because I often chose between RP and writs in a night.

(Edit: After playing for a couple hours, it is now 500)

Last edited by Darkstorn42 on Sat May 04, 2024 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Izahne Tiller/Victoria Helbrecht - (Shelved)
Maile Aylomen
Zuulanii Ironblood
Ukyo Kuonji

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Fri May 03, 2024 5:18 pm

To the first question, the character has been at max XP for two weeks.
Hard to estimate but I recall it never being that high before I got to late epics, certainly not enough to level the character on adventure XP alone.

To the second.

I don't value it much as I generally play adventurers so I'm out exploring and killing mobs a lot of the time, not saying it isn't welcome but it's massively speeding up leveling, at least it does for me.
Didn't use -adventure on this character.

Last edited by chris a gogo on Fri May 03, 2024 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Fri May 03, 2024 5:20 pm

1: I have like 11k on an alt at level 11. Only because it's an alt and I just adventure then log off.

2: In the later levels I like to transition to adventure XP because I usually have RP to do and it's nice to gain xo passively. Most of my characters get going around level 20 so I really end up getting the last levels dominantly through adventure XP and occasionally upper level adventures.

I'll turn on adventure mode and do writs to stock up the adventure XP. If I found something RP wise to vibe with I'll be much more focused on that then grinding XP.

I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Regnant Phoenix
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Regnant Phoenix » Fri May 03, 2024 5:23 pm

1. Level 16 with 28,000

2. I value it a lot. I play with Freelancer writs until I reach level 15 and/or have accumulated about ~30,000-40,000 adventure XP. Then I switch to Professional and this is usually enough to get me to 30.

Last edited by Regnant Phoenix on Fri May 03, 2024 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stefan Hardock

Post by Stefan Hardock » Fri May 03, 2024 5:23 pm

My current character is sitting at lvl 28. His adventure XP pool is roughly 17-18k. I'll admit, I don't play as often as I'd like to, so maybe that's a low or high value. I love adventuring and RP. Honestly, I don't even care if It's high or low, I guess I'd prefer it if adventurers received XP front loaded on writs, rather than a split. /shrug.

ThisIsNotADrill

Post by ThisIsNotADrill » Fri May 03, 2024 5:30 pm

1: Currently have a level 16 character sitting on around 50k adventure exp and a few others between 10-15 between 10k and 30k

2: I take freelancer writs and activate adventure mode if my adventure exp drops below a certain threshold.

I like to explore, but I consider most sources of adventure exp outside of writ completion and extended periods of adventure mode to be negligible.

I do wish there was more I could do with adventure exp, such as how bards can spend it to teach songs.

I like to go on an adventure and do some writs, and then 'return home' and spend the remainder of my play time in social roleplay, meeting new characters, crafting stuff for people, being a nuisance, and otherwise engaging with other characters.

That's not to say I don't engage during dungeons and writs, just that the action-oriented pace of that aspect of gameplay means more limited downtime.

At rpr 10 (and levels 3-9) I found the ticks a bit low but past level 10 and especially past rpr 20 I found the ticks were doing a good amount of the lifting, and I got a character to 30 through freelance writs, dungeons, sailing, and public intoxication.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri May 03, 2024 5:37 pm

My only active character is Level 25, and she is capped at 100k, using the Freelancer contract. It drops down occasionally, but each writ turned in maxes it out, especially since I like to do each writ at least once, so I end up with a lot of overleveled Adventuring XP.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri May 03, 2024 5:38 pm

I find that my pool progress while leveling drastically differs between characters and how frequently I'm available to play.

I always play Professional (meaning I go for more insta-exp and less adventure exp and gold)
If I play a lot outside of doing writs, the pool dries out and I need to turn -adventure on. Then I half-regret "maybe I should have taken freelancer on this character" but it doesnt matter all that much to me. -adventure mode covers the difference alright.
If I dont play a lot, the influx of adventure exp from the writ rewards is enough to keep me above 10k in the pool, and sometimes even pile it up towards 100k or even hit it before level 30.

So it's hard to answer really. One long RP session drinks thousands of adventure exp points. Sometimes you really dont know if you're going to have a lot or very few of those over a lifespan of a character and how frequently, when you pick Professional/Freelancer.

woodbreeze
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by woodbreeze » Fri May 03, 2024 5:44 pm

1. level 16, around 500 adventure xp remaining 🥲

2. I like it! Though I believe I am an outlier with the fact that I am pretty slow about getting these things
    I do not play with adventure mode but am considering Freelancer.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Fri May 03, 2024 6:51 pm

Lvl 26 with 94,850 adventure xp stored up.

I always take freelancer for writs though more for the extra coin than for the xp. Personally, I feel like lvling is too fast, so I don't rush to do my 3 writs a day for more. I do craft often because I love the system as well travel around a bunch, exploring is so much fun. Even after years of playing here you can still sometimes find something new.
I will say the only time I rush to accumulate adventure xp is right after character creation. I dip into every building (typically start Cordor) and go gather the 7 (now 9 with the latest updates) portals that are easy to reach before doing more than the one delivery writ that stays in city. It gives a pool to draw from while getting comfortable on the character.

L I C E

Post by L I C E » Fri May 03, 2024 6:56 pm

Adventure XP is essential if you're an UD character, or at least, it used to be. You'll hit level 25-27 and find you no longer have any writs left to do, so your only choice of hitting 30 is to ensure your pool is around 60k+ by the time you hit 27 or so and waiting for it to tick. Whereas, surface characters have dozens of deep well writs, a few others and the shadow plane writs to get them to 30. If I'm playing a surface character I won't need to play in -adventure, but UD it's almost necessary. As such, my lvl 29 UD character has around 40k XP right now. My level 24 surfacer has only 15k.

Peacelily

Post by Peacelily » Fri May 03, 2024 7:49 pm

Level 25.
Adventure pool: 20098 (I normally keep it hovering around 10-20K. Once I get that, I turn off Adventure mode)

I've done Freelance in the past, but if you have -adventure mode on, it's fairly redundant unless you deliberately want to slow your levelling down. That said, I actively explore new areas, attune to portals, beeline for yellow mobs, craft varieties of things, and even hunt out 'You've found something special!' areas, and would love to see more of those.

Past level 20 or so, I don't think I've ever come close to running out of adventure XP. The cliff at level 10 where it goes from 60 to 100 is definitely nice

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Fri May 03, 2024 8:30 pm

Level 16

Adventure Exp: Zero

This character doesn't really do writs or fight things, their experience is gained from Adventure mode and pickpocketing as well as server ticks effectively.

Freelance writs were.. an interesting idea I suppose but generally if your doing writs your doing it to level faster. If you didn't want to level super fast, you'd just avoid doing writs? That's sort of the way that I view it. I know some people prefer to just have massive pools of Adventure Exp, but given how slowly Adventure EXP pays out it'd take literally weeks of being in game to actually empty the pool.

Cairath

Post by Cairath » Fri May 03, 2024 9:02 pm

1. At 29 was at about 16-17k adventure experience.

2. I like to store it a lot so that I can get ticks from it when goofing around, but it drains so slowly at times (or I end up overestimating it) that I hit level 30 usually with 20k left in it.

Chiana

Post by Chiana » Fri May 03, 2024 9:07 pm

Irongron wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:51 pm

1 If you have a character between level 11 and 29 how large is your pool. Please state both current level, and adventure pool size. We don't need character names or any other information.

Level 29 alt here, with 15,250 pooled

Irongron wrote:

2 How much do you value adventure XP and do you ever seek it out from its specific sources (freelance writs, adventure mode, exploration, crafting etc)?

I value it while lvling, I get by adventure mode, and exploration. I'll have adventure mode on untill I have just enough to hit lvl 30 then turn it off

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Fri May 03, 2024 9:34 pm

I have a level 13 character with 25345 adventure XP. Note: this character is doing FREELANCE WRITS.

EDIT: My current main left Skal at level 19 with a completely full XP pool (this was back in June 2023). They were on freelance writs, I did every single writ on Skal (including the infamous Speaking/Singing Stones), I was deliberately throttling my leveling speed, and I stuck around for Plot Reasons for a few days more than I probably would have if I didn't have a plot arc and a play group going. I have leveled a commoner before, and of course adventure XP is essential for that.

Last edited by Amateur Hour on Fri May 03, 2024 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Rubricae
Location: Space Station 3 (Have you seen Carmen Miranda's ghost?)

Post by Rubricae » Fri May 03, 2024 10:20 pm

Irongron wrote:
  1. If you have a character between level 11 and 29 how large is your pool. Please state both current level, and adventure pool size. We don't need character names or any other information.

Off the top of my head the characters that tend to leave Skal at 19 end up with between 30k adventure xp and the maximum.
Otherwise it tends to hover around 10k throughout levelling.

I value it a lot because it lets me chill out without feeling a need to be grinding a character while still benefitting from xp gain. Although sometimes it's a pain to maintain early on if, like me, you start a writ then stop for a few hours to chat.
Most of it is gained through adventure mode & exploring, although crafting does tend to help.