Do you use the caravans?

Polls can be created by Patrons only (try-out for now)

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Do you use the caravans?

Poll ended at Fri May 08, 2020 6:07 pm

Yes
29%
No
61%
Never tried them
9%

Total votes: 75

DarkFuneral209
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Do you use the caravans?

Post by DarkFuneral209 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:07 pm

Do you find they are useless and you would rather travel by foot?

Shagrath Vivisector 4AR-32AR (Deceased)
Gorgoth Deathcrush 30AR-50AR (Deceased)
Blashyrh Exordium - Retired Cordor Guard
Tolstoy - Forest Rambler & Elf Nationlist
Abiff - Traveling Mage
Malory - Faceless

Good Character

Re: Do you use the caravans?

Post by Good Character » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:15 pm

Super useless. Given the time you need to wait, you could just walk.

thimblegiant
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by thimblegiant » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:31 pm

Rarely do, but there have been a couple of occasions where I've found myself out of my league (Arelith forest), and needed a safe way home. I see there is a new one up by the Radiant Heart, presumably to allow low-levels to travel safely up there.

Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:31 pm

I lens around like a boss.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:37 pm

Only instant travel ones.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:44 pm

Good Character wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:15 pm

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:11 pm

I use them to get to places a character is to low level to fight there way to.

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:53 am

It depends on the caravan.

The one I use the most is definately the one now to get to Soulhaven from guldorand. Instead of having to fight through Rocs and all the nonsense requied to get back to soulhaven, or spend 150g to get to the docks at sib, the portal is now just 25g away. Most of the time there are people to converse with as well.

As a low level character, I use them alot around cordor to get inital portals and such more safely, and especially when visiting Myon as a low level carpenter like Ronaldo is. Commoners just can't fight wolves that well apparently...

So in effect yes, they serve their purpose, and they are used.

FILMORE GRAVES

Post by FILMORE GRAVES » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:40 pm

I use them...I find its great. I buy a ticket, then hang around and RP or shop or whatever....then poof, I'm where I need to be. Gives me more "relaxing time" doing the small things and chatting with other nearby.

matheusgraef

Post by matheusgraef » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:09 pm

I've used them. I like them. My barbarian character didn't have to use them, but when I tried playing a wizard I found myself using them, specially at low levels.

Plus it gives a little RP opportunity for the "Ah, just waiting for the caravan." bit. I like mundane stuff like that. To be honest I kinda wish the boat rides worked the same but I understand a lot of people don't have time for that.

Aeralad

Post by Aeralad » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:04 am

Yeah. Although sometimes I want to hurry so I walk or lens or whatever else, sometimes I take the caravan out of pure laziness. The Guldorand one mostly.
It's definitely handy to just go yes yes, wait and then appear there. Also thought it was a clever use of cutscenes mode, although I can understand why that isn't for all travel.
I am the champion
When they write my story they're gonna say that I did it for the glory
But don't think that I did it for the fame I did it for the love of the game

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:24 pm

Good Character wrote:
This has been my experience with them as well. Even when I want to use them, by the time I get to one the caravan's already left most of the time. The places the caravan visits are usually much faster accessed with other methods.

If the caravan left once every hourly tick, I'd be more inclined to use them.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:36 pm

My Hot Take

I like them in principle.
I rarely use them, except at low levels, or especialy weak characters.
The cut scene is irritating, and sometimes buggy
Their leaving times are highly unhelpful.
I remember the Dark Days, before a boat was added to Guldorand, when we if you logged in at the wrong time, on a low hp character, you were basicaly stuck there for up to a RL hour whilst you waited for the caravans to start running again.

Caravans are neat in theory but I'd like them to
a) Run more often - or at least run at night.
b) Not use the cut scene. Maybe you could actually 'enter' the caravan and sit there whilst it traveled - like a boat? Or something like that, at any rate.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:59 pm

It would be fun if they could generate random encounters with some reward based on the level of the characters in the caravan. Then you end up traveling inside a caravan per grumpy's suggestion with total strangers and suddenly, bandits on the road. Would make for good rp too. Honestly I might wait around for a caravan for that chance.

Straxus
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Straxus » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:25 pm

Eventually I will try them out, most of my travel to places I haven't been is by foot, because I am carrying a warded package...

I have died almost everytime by the way.

Maybe give them a try today.
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:00 pm

Archnon wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:59 pm
It would be fun if they could generate random encounters with some reward based on the level of the characters in the caravan. Then you end up traveling inside a caravan per grumpy's suggestion with total strangers and suddenly, bandits on the road. Would make for good rp too. Honestly I might wait around for a caravan for that chance.

I like this idea in principle, but it takes away from caravans as a 'safe' means of transport too.
How about if there were two options?
1) Travel as a passanger (costs gold) - you get there safely.
2) Travel as a guard (is free, or maybe even gives gold) - You travel there but stand a chance of a random encounter, in which you must defend the caravan.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:02 pm

2) Travel as a guard (is free, or maybe even gives gold) - You travel there but stand a chance of a random encounter, in which you must defend the caravan.
Sounds good... *Captain Picard voice* Make it so.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:55 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:00 pm
Archnon wrote:

I like this idea in principle, but it takes away from caravans as a 'safe' means of transport too.
This is cool, though I will say that the caravans don't get used because there are so many safe alternatives out there that are instant.

Straxus

Post by Straxus » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:00 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Archnon wrote:

I love this idea. You could easily add a recommended level for it, like the writs
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:03 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Archnon wrote:

I was just thinking this would be the way to go as I was sitting around waiting for a caravan the other day, and here you are posting it around the same time. I would even take it a step further and have a small chance of finding some dungeon along the way to adventure through, but I know even just changing it to the way you suggest is going to take some work which means finding someone who is interested to do it.

As far as an easy fix for right now though, I would make them all run on the hour every hour except at night, since I like that flavor of not wanting to travel at night and that still gives you the whole "waiting for the caravan" RP if you want to. The cut scene is useless, and probably taking up far more resources then the value it gives which is next to nothing.

At the very least, you could add the times it is leaving before it takes your gold. As it stands now you have to pay for the privilege to find out that its 8 game hours away and you are far better off walking. Sure, its only 50 gold or whatever, but its the principle smokey.

Void

Post by Void » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:20 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Archnon wrote:

I'd LOVE this, but if waiting time was shorter.

The issue si that random encounter would require scripting and "off the map" areas. Currently the only area being used is that "autumn forest" location with circling npc.

However, while beamdog were patching the game, I think they introduced a function which allows the game to create an instanced area:
https://nwnlexicon.com/index.php?title=CreateArea

Which could be used to implement random encounters without multiple caravans ending in the same spot.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Best Rich Face

Post by Best Rich Face » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:48 am

Can't RP during the cutscene.
Cutscene is buggy.
New graphics mean trees block most of the cutscene anyways.
Why don't boats have cutscenes? (Please don't, I'll quit)
Have to sit around and wait for the caravan.

Nope, I'll just walk.

Or -teleport.

Or spend 2500-3500 for a lens.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:13 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:36 pm
b) Not use the cut scene. Maybe you could actually 'enter' the caravan and sit there whilst it traveled - like a boat? Or something like that, at any rate.
This is how POTM's caravans work, and I liked them.

I believe they ran on a schedule, and to "travel" you actually had to go inside and wait inside while it left. Inside was just a new area that simulated travel with sound effects. You could walk around, and chat with any randoms that happened to be going to same way as you. If you didn't feel like talking it was just a couple minutes to alt-tab or re-organise your inventory. Pretty comfy.

Public boats would be fun like this too. Though the immersive aspect should never outweigh the convenience otherwise no-one will use them.

To answer the OP's question, in 8-9 years of semi activity on arelith, I've never used the caravans seriously.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:39 am

Marsi wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:13 am
The GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:36 pm
This is how POTM's caravans work, and I liked them.

I believe they ran on a schedule, and to "travel" you actually had to go inside and wait inside while it left. Inside was just a new area that simulated travel with sound effects. You could walk around, and chat with any randoms that happened to be going to same way as you. If you didn't feel like talking it was just a couple minutes to alt-tab or re-organise your inventory. Pretty comfy.

Public boats would be fun like this too. Though the immersive aspect should never outweigh the convenience otherwise no-one will use them.

To answer the OP's question, in 8-9 years of semi activity on arelith, I've never used the caravans seriously.
i'd really like this, there's precedence for it in how ships work, more or less

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:43 pm

Good Character wrote:
Sockss wrote: There is an overriding premise that all changes should be appreciated and welcomed because someone has taken time out for free to make them. [...] I don't believe volunteering should put your work above criticism [...] .