Totem Druids

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Totem Druids

Post by CosmicOrderV » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:40 am

Simple one. Having made an under-druid and visited the secret NPC, it felt like the totem options for an underdarker were a little underwhelming. So what about some additional options? Maybe even changing existing ones. Would be fun for rangers too, just so they can have some unique flavor for their summons and RP.

The Swarm (Scavenger): +2 CON, +2 AC, and disease immunity. Its character model being several layers of the Creeping Doom plague animation, or maybe something like a demilich skull with the barkskin texture and the insect swarm animation surrounding it.

The Snapper (Anger): Anyone familiar with the wilds of the underdark have come across their fair share of Snappers. I imagine this being the territorial arsehole who bites first, and asks questions later. "Get off my lawn, you pesky kids!" +4 STR and Power Attack. Compare to the bear, who gets +4 STR and +4 CON.

As for the existing ones...

Snake (Grace) is +2 DEX and +2 INT, which is okay, but then you get poison and disease immunity. Disease immunity isn't bad, but Druid's get poison immunity already at level 9. A more attractive, and thematic option here, would strike me as removing the poison/disease immunity and instead granting +2 to Reflex saves. There is precedent in the likes of the Snake Blood feat, which grants +1 Reflex saves. (Or just give them that feat, I guess)

Spider (Cunning) runs into the same issue. It grants +2 INT, which is an odd flavor choice, but so be it. Then there's the poison immunity again, that the druid would already get at level 9. Paralysis immunity at least feels good. I might suggest it being +2 INT, +2 WIS and paralysis immunity.

Bat (Mystery). I realized this one needed to be nerfed and I appreciate that it was. I think it's due for some updating, however. Bats are a flighty creature. Why not also give them the Mobility Feat? Helps for anyone "flying" about the battlefield, to not get hit as often, as they go chasing off after (or running from!) whatever "mystery" they're supposed to be on about.

Rat (Creativity) seems the most solid choice of all the base options presented by the underdark NPC. Hefty +4 INT boost and disease immunity.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Totem Druids

Post by Irongron » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Absolutely, there aren't nearly enough UD Totem options. If a developer wants to pursue that, I'd be thrilled.

Approved.