Upgrade -ward a bit

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Orian_666

Upgrade -ward a bit

Post by Orian_666 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:00 pm

As the title states. Can we get an upgrade to "-ward" please.

Right now it does two things, one is FOIG and the other is a 1 round paralyze (same DC as a level 9 spell) on anyone that steps into it, won't trigger again while still inside.
It requires at least level 21 and 3 feats total to get, can be used once a day and lasts a good long time, costs 5 spell components.

On the other hand a Rogue at earliest level 24, but with 0 feats, can get Paralytic Caltrops, for a few thousand gold and every 2.5 RL hours they can get 5 of them.
What these do is a similar sized, shorter duration?, 1 round paralyze with a 2 round slow (Immune to it again for 3 rounds though), can however trigger again while moving inside the area after the 3 round immunity is gone, on a DC that's only a little lower than a 9th level spell for most rogue builds. The difference with this one is that it isn't blocked by mind immunity, this includes things like the PM para immune, it has a slow after the para is over, and it can be used as often per day as you want (limited by how many you have in stock)

So when compared they're both quite similar, each with varying strengths over the other but all in all not too different. I'd personally argue that the Para Caltrops are superior.

Therein lies the problem. One requires 3 feats to get, where the other one simply requires a certain level. The 3 feats one is 1/day and the no feats one can be used as much as you want.
It would be nice if the one that's pricier to get, costs 3 feats, and takes an actual investment beyond levels was actually the superior one.

I'd suggest making it last longer than 1 round, also bypass immunities, preferably cost no components (like Trans teleporting and Illusion sending a message), and maybe even something else that the team may come up with at their discretion. If it costs 3 feats to get, over something that costs 0, then it definitely should be superior.

In all my years of playing i've only ever personally seen it used in combat once, that was so the user could escape and it barely worked anyway, and i've only personally used it once or twice, in combat, that I can remember.
It's a really appealing command, until you realize how bad it is, comparatively. I think it's long overdue an upgrade.

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestion :D

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Upgrade -ward a bit

Post by Irongron » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:12 pm

Ideally there should always be some kind of counter, so not sure about bypassing immunities but a longer duration sounds worthwhile.

Approved. (Though perhaps without the bypass)