Bards, Monks and Language

A place to file suggestions that have been completed.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Yma23

Bards, Monks and Language

Post by Yma23 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:48 pm

So I entirely understand why Lore and language comprhension was changed. It makes an amount of sense and it was a bit game breaking that for a relitivly mild investment, one could understand - if not speak - all languages. That said it is a bit of a kick in the teeth - to bards especialy but also to monks.
Bards I feel especialy bad for as they should, ideally, be masters of communication. But right now if I want to take some sort of language master I'm really better going Wizard. And whilst that makes some sense, it makes less sence that Bards arn't an option.
Now as it happens half of my suggestion has already been suggested by Red Ropes, but obviuosly he was just subliminaly reading my mind (he's a secret Illithid you know) and so I'll write that up here, as it's so good suggesting it twice does no harm.
I'm going to be giving a vareity of suggestions on the same 'theme' so the devs can pick which one seems most balence.

For Bards:
Bards get a free language (Any Language!) at character creation, and then ever ten levels of bard there after (that's up to a max of four additional languages). These do not count to the bard's int cap of languages learned.
Or
Bards get free additional languages up to their Charisma bonus at character creation.
Or
Unlike other classes, Bards language learning and language cap runs of their Charisma bonus, not their inteligence.

For Monks
Tongue of Sun and Moon grants the monk an additional planar language of their choice (Celestial, Abyssal, Infernal)
Or
Tongue of Sun and Moon grants the monk ALL three planar languages.

(Note - it is tempting to suggest giving the monk a language based off their alignment (e.g. LG monks get celestial, LN gets Abyssal LE get Infernal) But this would make situations wherein a monk changes alignment possibly provide them a free language, which could be abused)

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Bards, Monks and Language

Post by Irongron » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:56 pm

Similar suggestions have been approved in previous replies. I will leave it up to which developer takes this on to choose exactly what approach to take.

Approved (like the others - for a change in this area)