Punishments for the Surface settlements

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

D4wN

Punishments for the Surface settlements

Post by D4wN » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:50 pm

One thing I've noticed is that settlements on the Surface can be quite limited in punishments to criminals and is often completely reliable on cooperation from the "criminal". Currently torture/abuse, things like branding, or straight up kill bash is typically the limitation on how do you deal with an Underdarker or other nasty that has violated the rules in your city/town. Which, if you're a good aligned character is uncomfortable RP to say the least.

Obviously just letting the criminal go without punishment is not an option either. A monatary fine for trying to burn down your city isn't really appropriate either. And resorting to PVP in ways to execute is not only unenjoyable for most involved, death isn't a permanent thing so.. *shrug* right?

So I had an idea.

Would it be an idea to introduce a similar system to that in the UD. Except for having slave collars, you use the prisoner collars. But the only way to get them off is by performing a series of tasks through an NPC. In the way of community service. For example:

1. Gather 100 stone (for the resource chest)
2. Kill 40 ghosts in the Cordor farms/kill 40 giants in the Skull Crags/kill 40 Morghunn minions in the Dale (dependent on the settlement)
3. Gather 50 hide/food (for the resource chest)
4. Gather 100 salt
5. Serve for 1 RL hour in the local tavern (or whatever)
6. etc.

Well, you get the idea. Just small quests that allow you to have the criminal perform tasks that would contribute positively to a settlement.

And if people have other ideas for appropriate punishments that don't involve the things I mentioned at the top, let me hear them! I like your creative thinking here and am looking for options that create an enjoyable experience for everyone involved.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Punishments for the Surface settlements

Post by Anatida » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:18 pm

I (as a player) really like this idea!

Another added complication to the above list; you can't hold a PC in jail for more than a limited number of RL hours.

Even if we use the episodic mindset to justify the repeated killing of an antagonist, or we find different methods to work around the limited system, then the 'defenders' are the ones that end up paying the IC consequences by gaining a negative reputation. IE "Cordor Guards just murder people for no reason", etc.

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Punishments for the Surface settlements

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:11 pm

This concept wouldn't work well just for punishments but in general. I know to some it stretches the imagination, but what if an evil leader got into Somewhere!, and wanted to introduce indentured some sort of indentured servitude for the poor?

I don't know how complex/possible this would be to do - but I'm going to tentativly move it to 'approved.' I know Irongron's also been interested in some sort of 'alternate slaverty' system on the surface as well (perhaps more like indentured servitude? Surfdom?) so in my mind this sort of rolls in slightly with that.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)