Use Trap Skill Improvement Idea

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

McPunchins

Use Trap Skill Improvement Idea

Post by McPunchins » Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:15 pm

I love the recently posted idea for Use Trap specific to the rogue feat Skill Mastery but I feel the skill is still a bit lackluster when it comes to other classes who get it like Ranger I believe part of that is the glaring issues with setting traps to begin with namely that they take bloody forever to actually put down (like aggravatingly long) making it just faster to hit the enemies with a sword in PvE anyway and you are always removed from stealth when you set a trap. So I propose the two following ideas to make heavy investment in use trap more fun to work with in PvE while from what I can tell not breaking the use of traps in combat.
  • Proposed change 1: Faster Trap Setting
    Cutting the set time in half would still require a full round in combat, this could however allow players outside combat to be a bit more agile around setting traps and make their use in non PvP and non combat a bit more fun as you could set a trap for fights that are about to start even with a party a lot of the time and not just be bent over for a lifetime.

This could scale based on either hard skill or soft skill and the higher the skill the faster non combat setting could be if mechanically possible.
  • Proposed change 2: Stealth Trap Setting
    Perhaps implementing some way for trap users to remain hidden if the trap doesn't immediately do damage to an enemy, this would prevent gimmicky trap laying from stealth and harassing but would allow trappers to carefully set traps near or around enemies before attacking them with a ranged weapon and drawing them through the traps. It could also add another element of trap use to combat situations for group PvP by allowing rogues to strategize while "negotiation" is happening leading to more danger in the field of battle and some unique methods of area denial for rogues without giving their presence away when they put 1 trap down.

This could be a chance that increases as Use Trap is invested in, starting out only moderately possible and getting better.
I think both of these may help improve Use Trap both in its PvE viability and also by adding some unique uses for PvP including counterplay between rogues of different groups who work to set and remove traps before a fight initiates.

Active

Grofbog -- Duergar Smith

Retired

Evelyn Windlily -- Hin Tinker
Lyri Rofik -- Paladin of Arvoreen
Sledge -- Thane of the Anvilsworn
Vespertine -- Mute Hin
Reivja -- Uthgardt Shaman

Discord: @McPunchins

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Use Trap Skill Improvement Idea

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:14 pm

Probably not possible due to hard coding, but in principle this (esp the from stealth) sounds reasonable. Moving to approved, but don't get your hopes up.

If someone picks this up and finds it is defintivly impossible, please let me know and I'll move this to denied.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)