Animal Companion rework

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

Wethrinea

Animal Companion rework

Post by Wethrinea » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:46 am

Today there are two animal companions that can be used in late game PvE: Bear and Direwolf. The bear has high enough AB to compensate for its lackluster AC, which makes it a great aid in dealing with bosses. The Dire Wolf attains enough AC to alleviate some of the kill pressure from mobs from the Ranger/Druid. The rest of the choices have very little if anything to bring to the PvE table and are almost never used for anything other than cosmetic RP.

The suggestion is to rework the animal companions to make each of them useful in their own way. The badger or boar, for example, could be made a DR/regen tank. The panther a flanker that actually hits something and does not die to a wrong look from a fire giant. Hawks and bats could give a significant bonus to detection skills, wolf to stealth, while spider could have some unique disabling attacks since most everything is immune to poisons at higher levels.

Removed -guard suggestion, covered in Beastmaster path
Ivar Ferdamann - Mercenary turned Marshall

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Animal Companion rework

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:31 pm

Conceptually good, but an awfull lot of work mechanically, and it'd ultimatly be up to the Dev who works on it how exactly to implement it.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)