Leyline system refactor

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Suggestion Moderators

somecritter

Leyline system refactor

Post by somecritter » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:02 pm

While one can only appreciate the incredible QoL that leylines provide, they also eliminate the feeling of the world being large and having to travel somewhere. There is just something anti-climatic about using the leylines to travel practically anywhere on Arelith.

Personally, I would prefer to see traveling to and from the Underdark being more cumbersome, and I say this as someone frequently doing it.

I've asked around, and based on the feedback, this is actually something people would like to see experimented with. I would suggest a public debate if this is too radical a change for some.

Again, the leylines provide an amazing QoL, and it would be a shame to see it completely removed, but a fresh lick of paint and a refactoring of the system could retain some of the QoL aspects.

I'm sure there are plenty of solutions, a few that come to mind.

Solution (1)
Limit the number of possible leylines a character can be attuned to. Perhaps items or feats could boost the number, allowing a character to have more leylines in their catalog.

Solution (2)
More leyline restrictions for surfacers & underdarkers.

Solution (3)
While not the best solution, we could also remove leylines.

I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities and other exciting solutions out there, but generally, experimenting with the leyline system would be welcome.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Leyline system refactor

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:48 pm

One or more or these is already being considered.

I will say 'remove laylines' as in 'remove all laylines' is NOT a consideration (before the entire server riots)
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)