Altars and Attunement - Altars don't show god's name

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Altars and Attunement - Altars don't show god's name

Post by Subutai » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 am

Unless the god's name is on the name of the altar, the dialog for various altars don't show what god it's consecrated to, meaning that attuning to an altar is kind of a gamble. I don't know if this is intended or not, but it seems like the dialog should indicate somehow.

Anatida
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Altars and Attunement - Altars don't show god's name

Post by Anatida » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:43 am

This is an interesting dilemma. God names were removed from altars to prevent people meta-gaming another player's deity. I can't see that the names would be returned across the board. But I'm sure the staff will come up with something!

Thank you for pointing this out.

My pronouns are: She/Her/That *itch

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:13 am

For now it is up to players to name their crafted altars appropriately, as is done most often with those in game.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:48 pm

If you need to pray, find an altar in an area that seems somehow fitting to your chosen deity. If you aren't getting .4 gains when praying, the altar is not consecrated to the same god you worship. Most player made altars indicate in some way (through the player made description) either blatantly or subtly who they are consecrated to in the description, unless there's a reason the followers of that deity would not want that known.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:05 pm

This is something that I had to consider while I was doing this.

In the end, I felt the best idea was to leave it as is. You come to an altar that you think is set to X and after you take a moment to pray, you realize afterwards that you've taken a blessing from someone else. You can then react ICly to that, so we felt that was the best approach.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:14 pm

Xerah wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:05 pm
This is something that I had to consider while I was doing this.

In the end, I felt the best idea was to leave it as is. You come to an altar that you think is set to X and after you take a moment to pray, you realize afterwards that you've taken a blessing from someone else. You can then react ICly to that, so we felt that was the best approach.
That's kind of strange honestly. If you kneel down at an altar and do some heartfelt praying to Chauntea you're not going to attract the divine attention of Cyric because whoops that blank nondescript altar was actually his teehee.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 pm

We will have to agree to disagree.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Moving to closed since it is not a bug.
Please don't feed my sister.