In-Game Journal/Stealth Bug

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

somebody else entirely

In-Game Journal/Stealth Bug

Post by somebody else entirely » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:24 am

Opening the journal while in stealth mode seems to clear it entirely, and although I've had it happen before and disabling stealth mode has always fixed it (i.e journal notes are restored) this time it didn't, and I lost all my notes.

Not a huge problem for me personally because, thankfully, I didn't actually have all that much written, but it was still a minor annoyance and I can see it being very frustrating for anyone with a substantial amount of notes to lose.

Hazard

Re: In-Game Journal/Stealth Bug

Post by Hazard » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:22 am

This has always been this way.

If your journal is open while you change names (into stealth/disguise/etc) whatever is open is copied to the .txt of the new name you go into.

For example, if you are already in stealth there is a good chance your "stealth journal" is empty so if you open it and leave stealth while it is open, it will copy the empty journal over to your regular name journal.

A way around this is to open your journal out of stealth and disguise, then enter disguise/stealth to copy it over to a new name to make back-ups, but this is kinda scary as I always worry I'll muck it up somehow. The best way is to find the .txt file (localfiles) and copy it to another location somewhere else.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:25 am

tl;dr if you want to be safe from this.. don't open your journal at all while stealthed/disguised/barkeeping/anything else that changes the status of your name.

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Mon May 11, 2020 1:39 pm

Not a bug, known NWN behavior, report can be closed.

Done.