Grouping Deities Together

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Rockstar1984

Grouping Deities Together

Post by Rockstar1984 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:46 pm

Many deities have other deities that serve beneath them, and then you have racial pantheons that are mostly united and work together. I believe that a cleric of a deity shouldn't be punished if they wish to perform a ritual for one of the subservient deities. For example, as a high priestess of Sune my Heartwarder, Alice, often gets asked to consecrate altars to Sharess and Lliira and in order to do so I have to invoke the "wrath" of Sune in order hold a ritual of consecration for a goddess that she loves and works for her anyway. Doesn't make sense to me. Would Mielikki be mad if you wanted to hold a fertility ritual in the name of Shiallia? Would Tempus be mad if you took to the seas and converted to Valkur?

I propose that either an addition to the system is made so that you can consecrate altars to deities that work for or are above yours, or that converting to a deity in the same pantheon/group incurs a significantly lesser piety penalty. Of course this doesn't make sense for all of them. Llolth would probably be pretty pissed if you converted to anyone else in the Dark Seldarine, but I don't think Corellion would care if you converted to another one of the Seldarine.

A major problem is that clerics of many lesser deities and exarchs are hard to find, but their worshippers in general aren't. Clerics of major deities often get asked to consecrate altars to the lesser deities and exarchs that serve theirs.

Oh the year was 1778...