Spears - Is there a way to increase their length without (or with) haks?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Spears - Is there a way to increase their length without (or with) haks?

Post by Subutai » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:20 pm

I recently started a character who's been using a spear. One thing I've noticed is that, of all pole weapons (including magic staves and quarterstaves) the spear is by far the shortest, to the point that it looks weird. It's so short that when thrusting, characters actually grab the very bottom of the spearhead. On a ~6' human, the spear doesn't look like it's more than 5' long, which makes the entire thing look bizarre.

Is there any way without haks that spears could be increased in size to the size of, say, a halberd or magic staff? If not, is there some hak that could be introduced at a future date to make the spears look a little less ridiculously small?

Vrass

Re: Spears - Is there a way to increase their length without (or with) haks?

Post by Vrass » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:10 am

Years ago back on Sinfar, (yes i did play there once lol) they had a system that let you increase and decrease the size of weapons and shields both up and down. If it existed then then it should be easy enough to implement now if anyone knows how, and where to find the Hak that lets you do it. In general small increases were best lest the weapon become comically over or undersized. Made customizing one's weapon and shield much easier.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:45 am

I would absolutely love this, and I think it would do really well with monster races, as well. Playing in the UD recently, and seeing an ogre with a tower shield, I had a good chuckle at how diminutive the shield was. It might as well have been a bracer.

This would also be helpful for katanas, which for some reason are these dinky little wakizashi-sized things.

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:53 am

Will be up to the admins if it gets added and considering the suggestion thread is still locked it may be awhile before they start thinking about it. Hopefully they will add it when that time comes.

DM Axis

Post by DM Axis » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:22 am

I feel like this is a well buried spam ad that I'm about to filter out of my email. Humor aside.

While suggestions are closed, you are free amongst yourselves to share tips and tricks for getting the edge you need. There are some overrides that do work with Arelith. And others that decidedly do not.
"It is evil things we shall be fighting against, brute force, bad faith, injustice, oppression and persecution."
- Minister Neville Chamberlain 1939
Discord Contact : DM Axis#2344

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:56 pm

Yep, definitely not suggesting this be done now. Rather, I'm just hoping to know if it's possible (seems it is, somehow) and if other people are interested, so that when the suggestion box opens, I can make an informed suggestion. Thanks!