Players - how old are we?

Polls can be created by Patrons only (try-out for now)

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

How old are you - as a player?

younger than 9
0%
10-19 years old
2%
20-29 years old
44%
30-39 years old
39%
40-49 years old
10%
50-59 years old
3%
60-69 years old
1%
70 and older
0%

Total votes: 618

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Players - how old are we?

Post by Cuchilla » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Just curious - I wonder how old you all are ...

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Vrass

Re: Players - how old are we?

Post by Vrass » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:47 am

36 at the moment.

Fallout

Post by Fallout » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:20 am

36 and a half. :roll:

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:51 pm

Reply only if you are 36. "Hi" :P
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Terenfel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Terenfel » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:36 am

no teenagers use the forum? is a forum a thing of the past and they wont use it? xD

ltlukoziuz

Post by ltlukoziuz » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:53 am

I would put it more to the age of the game. NWN is 17 years old, and I doubt EE attracted enough new folk to be so. Add onto that a rather unusual way of registering on the forum (a command through in-game), as well as the fact that you have to look for the forum, and you have a recipe for getting such results.

To add on the topic, 24.5 myself.

Currently playing: Sabina Paultier

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:03 am

Terenfel wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:36 am
no teenagers use the forum? is a forum a thing of the past and they wont use it? xD
Using Reddit as a reference, most users are age group 18-29, so the mean age tends to be very medium specific. Groups of young people migrate by topic / hobby onto specific platforms like Reddit. Virtual spaces tend to be heavily age-group specific, like normal social spaces. This is easily seen on Twitch; the mean age of different channels' viewers is usually concentrated around the mean and leaps out of a range of 10 are outliers.

Forums are technologically outdated and especially younger user groups favour technology that is mobile, interactive, and realtime and fast (Instagram and Snapchat are most popular). (Generally, this type of technology reigns everywhere: Discord's a good example of nerds emigrating from reddits and forums to the new age.) We forum users are practically fossils to most young people. Privacy is still valued and people who don't feel welcome in the "mainstreams" or who are constantly attacked by mainstream sensibilities still seek and establish "forums" of sorts that are more underground and moderated. Young geeks are also savvy in terms of new technology!
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Revelations

Post by Revelations » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:03 pm

Dung-flinging regularly occurs on these forums. I guess the question that may have lingered; the question whether we are apes or children has been answered with this poll.

Just in case:
jk
Be faithful in the face of death
And I will give you the crown of life

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:10 pm

Kind of calls into question the PG-13 rating tbh, given the number of children is presently statistically null. if I had to make a guess, I'd say 4-5, total, in the entire community, at maximum.

This game does not attract youth. Many more shiny phone games, and fortnite, to catch their attention.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

satan

Post by satan » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:34 am

Oh man, if at least some of the people on arelith aren't kids they sure do their best to hide it.

Myself..I am old...very old...
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:10 pm
Kind of calls into question the PG-13 rating tbh, given the number of children is presently statistically null. if I had to make a guess, I'd say 4-5, total, in the entire community, at maximum.

This game does not attract youth. Many more shiny phone games, and fortnite, to catch their attention.
Just because they're not filling out polls on the forums doesn't mean they're not in game.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Berried

Post by Berried » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:57 pm

Such a young playerbase for such an old game! Says a lot about Nwn's ability to capture the magic of DnD that new people are still drawn to it after all this time.
Durvayas wrote:

Keeping the content of the server tasteful doesn't have to be about children. I'm an adult and letting the place turn into Sinfar-lite would be the fastest way to scare me off for good.

l33tfragiletings

Post by l33tfragiletings » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:52 am

Berried wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:57 pm
Such a young playerbase for such an old game! Says a lot about Nwn's ability to capture the magic of DnD that new people are still drawn to it after all this time.
Durvayas wrote:

Keeping the content of the server tasteful doesn't have to be about children. I'm an adult and letting the place turn into Sinfar-lite would be the fastest way to scare me off for good.
Some of us have been playing Neverwinter Nights when we were single digits old! But even if the game doesn't attract kids a kid *could* log on nevertheless and shouldn't be subjected to anything that isn't PG-13. Also if no kids decide to play, I'd rather keep away from anything Sinfar-esque myself.

Edit: This is a fun poll though, I was curious about the age range

LIonGraphiK

Post by LIonGraphiK » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:17 am

Twenty-five and livin' it large.
by Irongron » 08 Dec 2018 20:41
I do not mind people easily being able to escape PvP situations where they are clearly outmatched.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:29 pm

Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Alderic

Post by Alderic » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:50 pm

51. Started playing AD&D back at the end of the first edition/start of the second edition (early-mid 80's), bought the original NWN so many years ago my memory fails as to when, then bought Diamond edition later, and just recently got EE as a "fun way to waste a hundred or so hours in nostalgia".

Only just started playing Arelith a week or so ago. You'll probably never see me online as I'm in Australia, but I'm here.

Astral

Post by Astral » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:42 am

Turning 30 in few months :(
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

satan

Post by satan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:46 pm

I want to meet the one 70+ guy that plays this.

So that I may one day become the second.

In 2050
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:48 pm

Durvayas wrote:

That's not fair considering not all our players visit the forums and take into account those people who do visit the forums that don't even see this thread. This poll is not a fair statistic.

TheSandiestcomet

Post by TheSandiestcomet » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:17 am

hello

im 18, started playing when i was 17

there's a few of us who're around this age that play, but i cant really get any of my friends to start because of how archaic the systems are, and partly because the pg13 rule makes them think they're being babied

plus the one friend who did start playing got instantly meme'd by a DM and yeeted back down to the UD after spending two hours getting up there, but thats not the point.

he hasnt played since

i'll probably keep playing because games like NWN [of which there are few] are absolutely my jam and i hate most modern titles

i live for the RP presence a game has
Elinoa - Surface

Hyperioncantos

Post by Hyperioncantos » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:47 pm

Alderic wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:50 pm
51. Started playing AD&D back at the end of the first edition/start of the second edition (early-mid 80's), bought the original NWN so many years ago my memory fails as to when, then bought Diamond edition later, and just recently got EE as a "fun way to waste a hundred or so hours in nostalgia".

Only just started playing Arelith a week or so ago. You'll probably never see me online as I'm in Australia, but I'm here.
My story is almost the same: 55, started playing back when D&D was the three little softcover books and then the three supplements. Really got into AD&D for a while (Tomb of Horrors FTW). Picked up NWN first by sailing the high seas, then bought it so I could do muiltiplayer, and have kept buying it over and over again, first Diamond, and now I own EE on two platforms. It was my first ever MP online game and so not only holds a soft spot in my heart, but is one I keep coming back to over and over again.

Joined Arelith about a week ago as well.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sun May 10, 2020 11:57 pm

Had to change my vote from 20s to 30s. I no longer lower the average... strange..
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Zealotry
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zealotry » Thu May 28, 2020 4:50 am

old enough to be your grandfather :o

Sadrithos

Post by Sadrithos » Thu May 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Current Characters:
Galen Gallows, Burden of Heartwood.
Rauverie La'Fane, #1 Dad.

zombniac
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by zombniac » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:15 am

Durvayas wrote:

I agree, and the ratio of older vs. younger players is likely the same for the actual player count.